Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm driving a 2008 TTSE (white/white) with the OEM TRD black rims and a set of BFG A/T 265s.

I want to get a slightly wider tire w/o having to spend the dough on a lift. Ive read here that my rims can take 285s.

Recently I spent the better part of a morning at 2 local tire dealers (Direct Tire and Town Fair Tire), both of whom basically told me 285s won't work on my config. They didnt offer any real alternatives, either.

Is it possible there's no 285s for me? Is it my rims? Is it a safety issue? Or is it a couple of lazy salespeople?

Any help would be very much appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1,831 Posts
No cash at all, if you have an adequate grinder and wouldn't mind ugly gaping cutouts on the body mounts (sealing them recommended for both aesthetic and structural purposes).

Many have done it with some finesse, including welding a tab over the cut, smoothing things out, and painting over it.

It's not absolutely needed, though - there are numerous things to consider: Tire Profile, Alignment, Spacers, Lift.

I guess it would be safe to say that BF Goodrich Mud - Terrain T/A® KM2 285/75/16s would be your best bet to do so without the Body Mount Chop. It's similar in profile to the original tire on the TTSE variants. Better results with the BF Goodrich All - Terrain T/A® KOs, I would think.

Wait for the others to chime in, though. All of this intel hails straight from the 101st Chairborne Division Central Command, and I haven't had grease under my fingernails for more than a decade.

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...tock-2010-ttse-285-75-16-315-75-16-tires.html

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'm driving a 2008 TTSE (white/white) with the OEM TRD black rims and a set of BFG A/T 265s.

I want to get a slightly wider tire w/o having to spend the dough on a lift. Ive read here that my rims can take 285s.

Recently I spent the better part of a morning at 2 local tire dealers (Direct Tire and Town Fair Tire), both of whom basically told me 285s won't work on my config. They didnt offer any real alternatives, either.

Is it possible there's no 285s for me? Is it my rims? Is it a safety issue? Or is it a couple of lazy salespeople?

Any help would be very much appreciated.
not sure what's different between your 2008 and my 2007 Titanium Silver stock 17" rims- but just TODAY i had the most insane set of 285's installed: Nitto Terra Grappler A/T's. they are BAD ASS! and fit just fine. and they feel really good underneath the steering wheel :)

i too, looked for answers on here....as i was told i would have to lift the front end a minimum of 2" to fit a 285 tire. not true. if you're planning to do major off-roading, then i would recommend the lift (ha! listen to me....i've learned a lot on here).....

look for a post under Wheels & Tires called "285's on Stock Suspension" or something like that. good info there.
i'll post some pics tomorrow.

and go to Discount Tire :rocker:
~A~

·
Premium Member
1,718 Posts
I have a 08 TT, I have 285's BFG A/T's with no rub, they will rub if you put wheel spacers on. 285's will very in size a little depending on what brand and tread you go with, but the BFG's were no problem on my rig. Hope this helps

I did end up doing the body mount chop because I am running spacers to accommodate steel wheels(pro comp rock crawlers 16x8's)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just to be clear, my rims are the stock 16" that came with the TTSE, not 17".

·
Premium Member
1,718 Posts
Just to be clear, my rims are the stock 16" that came with the TTSE, not 17".
Yes I knew this, and I had the TT black wheels with 285's on with no rub:bigthumb:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the feedback. You know what's weird? It was almost as if they were refusing to sell me the 285s? The look it up on the computer, tell you it won't work, and then say "sorry."

Hugo, where'd you go? Did you even bother to have them look it up, or just tell them what you wanted?

·
Registered
583 Posts
You could just buy the tires from tirerack.com, bring them somewhere, and say "put these on."

1 - 11 of 11 Posts