Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all...

First post here and I hope I don't rub too many the wrong way...

I've been following the FJ Cruiser for several years now and have a bit different perspective than many people I've seen on this and other forums.

I really want my FJ loaded with every imaginable option. I want a NAV, GPS, Leather, drop down TV's, electric everything, backup display, etc... and I want it to be damn tough in regards to offroad ability.

No - I don't want a Land Cruiser... or a 4Runner. They scream out soccer mom to me. I want the FJ.

And I'll pay the price. If they could make an FJ Cruiser all the way to say... $45K... I'd buy it.

Tons of people worrying that they won't hit the "low 20's" price point, which is understandable - but my concern is it will be too low price point to make it ... uh... "nice".

Anyone else feeling the same?

·
Official Field Agent
1,146 Posts
you, my friend, want a Lexusized FJ Cruiser. i think thats an oxymoron. wait a few years, eventually this thing will most likely go the route of the 4runner and land cruiser and become so ponderous and decked out nobody who would use it right can afford one. Sorry man, no offense or anything, but if you want all that crap on a truck, you ARE a soccer mom.

seriously, what is it about this that appeals to you more than the 4runner and land cruiser? the Image, uniqueness, etc? because as much smack as people talk about blinged out mall-terrain vehicles, the land cruiser and 4runner are both very capable and already decked out.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Welcome Fletcher. Interesting perspective have you. And I thought I was going to be called a wussy for wanting a sunroof. Some on this list want a solid bare-bones vehicle, at a "surprising value" price. Some of us want a solid well equipped vehicle, at a "suprising value" price. Sounds like you want a fully tricked out vehicle...at a price. Go for it man. Just don't drop it. Personally I'm going to get every safety option and traction option. Side airbags, traction control, etc. My teenage daughters are going to be bumming the keys from me in a few years and side airbags are proven to improve safety. So does ABS and vehicle stability. I'm also going to get the rear locker because I do some quasi rockcrawling from time to time. I guess there's three ways to look at equipping a vehicle. Buying a vehicle with a large selection of factory options, buying a vehicle with lots of dealer add ons, or buying aftermarket mods. From past experience with buying Toyotas, I know that their Kaizen, aka continous improvement, and the highest build quality in the industry, ends when the vehicle leaves the plant door. A Toyota dealer is not Toyota. Anything they install will probably be covered under warranty but won't have Toyota's build quality applied. Third party mods won't have kaizen or warranty coverage. I'm going to spend as much up front for factory installed options as I can. As for you, don't apologize for pimping your FJC Fletcher, it's a free country...but do not drop it.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
fletcher said:
Hi all...

First post here and I hope I don't rub too many the wrong way...

I've been following the FJ Cruiser for several years now and have a bit different perspective than many people I've seen on this and other forums.

I really want my FJ loaded with every imaginable option. I want a NAV, GPS, Leather, drop down TV's, electric everything, backup display, etc... and I want it to be damn tough in regards to offroad ability.

No - I don't want a Land Cruiser... or a 4Runner. They scream out soccer mom to me. I want the FJ.

And I'll pay the price. If they could make an FJ Cruiser all the way to say... $45K... I'd buy it.

Tons of people worrying that they won't hit the "low 20's" price point, which is understandable - but my concern is it will be too low price point to make it ... uh... "nice".

Anyone else feeling the same?
Why, may I ask, would you want to completely destroy a utilitarian vehicle with all the comforts of some rich guys house? I am totally lost for a response here. I have seen it up close, sat in it, played with buttons and dials and it is "nice" as it is. Luxurious, no. But nice, nonetheless. Much nicer in fact than my 82 F150 - which is as utilitarian as I hope to ever drive. But, even if I was swimming in money, I wouldn't want "a NAV, GPS, Leather, drop down TV's, electric everything, backup display, etc... and I want it to be damn tough in regards to offroad ability."

I think I just threw up a little bit, in my mouth...

·
Official Field Agent
1,146 Posts
fletcher said:
You forgot 24" spinners...
fletcher said:
sounds to me like what you really want is a Rover or H2.

Once again, no offense man, but i have waited too dagone long for toyota to come out with a solid, utilitarian, bare bones, NICE 4x4 to see it ruined by some yuppie who wants to be cool instead of buying an overpriced luxomobile like all his yuppie friends.

Take your business elsewhere, my man, because i really dont want to have to kill myself in protest of another badass vehicle getting turned into another leather interiored, bun warming, electro widget using monstrosity.

i would go on, but you know what mom said about having nothing nice to say and i dont want to be rude.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Seriously, I'd go the route of adding on functionality, i.e. sliders, locking diff, pimped out rack system, couple of rows of off-road lights, winch.

But leather? Drop-down TV's? Seriously. If those are a priority to you, go bling out a hummer. It'll get more attention at the country club, than the FJ.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Poor Fletcher. But I think he almost has a point. I say as long as he doesn't undermine the offroad integrity, let him have his bling. I think my concern lies in what Topless4runner stated up top about the over-featuring of the 4Runner and Landcruiser. But for some reason I don't think Toyota is going to do that to the FJC. Maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part. Heck I like options. I will probably get the GPS option. But I would hate to see it become standard and escalate the price.

·
Registered
173 Posts
No disrespect to you. I appreciate your honest vehicular desires.

"I really want my FJ loaded with every imaginable option. I want a NAV, GPS, Leather, drop down TV's, electric everything, backup display, etc... and I want it to be damn tough in regards to offroad ability"

Hmmmn, kind of like asking your good to you, true as blue, do anything for you girlfriend/wife to get the boob job, wear the stripper pumps, drag queen make up all while being the girl next door.

"And I'll pay the price. If they could make an FJ Cruiser all the way to say... $45K... I'd buy it"

They make the car you're looking for. They're called Range Rovers.

"Tons of people worrying that they won't hit the "low 20's" price point, which is understandable - but my concern is it will be too low price point to make it ... uh... "nice"."

I hope you take no offense at the humor. It just depends on what you call nice. Some people wear watches that don't have diamonds on them and they still know what time it is. I sat in the FJ, too. It's a truck that is an extension of our manhood, not an exagerration of it. So it's important to us that it be practically masculine. I am no way inferring that you are not a man with that statement, I'm just trying to express to you the kind of guy that fits the FJ and vice versa. I think I speak for a few of us when I say what kind of drivers we are. We don't need the navigation system when a 2 dollar map will do just fine. We don't want to worry about scuffin' the leather, unless it's the leather on our hiking boots. We got in the car to get back to nature, not to avoid it. We'd never put in a TV when what's outside the window is the best show of all.

You know, I once sat in a car that had a big giant screen, warning sensors to let you know about unsafe conditions, a voice that guided me through the streets, and there was even a real person that I could ask for assistance anytime during my drive. It was the driver's ed simulator in my high school and I couldn't wait to get the hell out of it.

Cheers and thanks to ALL the perspectives here,

Paul

·
Registered
228 Posts
Hey Fletch,

Get whatever kind of car you want. But I'm in agreement that once you put drop down tv's into this thing it will lose its off-road integrity. You'd be better served purchasing a Land Cruiser or Lexus.

In your eyes you might not be a soccer mom, but let me beat your local sales rep to the punch and recommend the Toyota Sienna.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh wow...I've seem to have started a holy war here!

Guys... definitely not trolling. Let's just put that to rest.

I want and need the offroad ability. I'm an avid dirtbiker and often traverse pretty rough country to get to my riding destinations. I'll be putting on a rear-hitch mount to carry my bike... in addition to a front bull bar and winch.

Let's now put the soccer mom and ghetto spinner wheels to rest!

At the same time, I live in the city, those trips to my riding destinations can be long, and there-in comes the above requested creature comforts. I honostly just don't want it coming stripped. This vehicle will serve a multitude of purposes... taking me to work... taking the girlfriend out... dirtbiking... etc... so it needs to be versatile and somewhat hospitable.

If I was buying a single purpose off-road vehicle, that would be different. At that point... take out the rear seats... headliner... and anything else that would get in the way of hosing out the interior after going mud-bogging!

I noticed that my preference in trim and accessories differed from a lot of what I'd been seeing posted around - that's all. I'm not knocking your guys desire for minimalism - and I TOTALLY get it. It sounds like some of you guys took it as a threat to what you saw this vehicle being all about... but at the same time my preference _could_ also represent a portion of the market at large.

The 4Runner... Land Cruiser... Hummer... just don't appeal to me - flat out.

So we're all on the same team here guys... hope I didn't get off on the wrong foot on post #1... and I'll see you on the trail!

-fletch

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Hmmm.... I think we'll be seeing you on the trail, buddy. We'll look for the warming glow of your drop down TV's.

·
Official Field Agent
1,146 Posts
i certainly see your point, road trips cam be hellacious without some of the comforts to make it more interesting such as satelite radio, movies (for the passengers, of course!) and so on. and i can definately appreciate the idea of having one vehicle for all the stuff you do, its costly enough maintaining/fueling/insuring/paying for just one, so multipurpose is definately a plus. the thing is, the FJC has been designed from the begining to be utilitarian and functional first with superfulous options in the name of comfort second, if at all. based on what you have said it seems like the big reason you like the FJC over the 4runner, land cruiser etc. is the "soccer mom" image you are trying to keep away from, which is a perfectly valid reason keeping away from them. HOWEVER, comma, it doesnt seem to me that this is exactly what you want, except for the image thing. consider this: if toyota made the FJC with all the garbage you mentioned (4runner/land cruiser option/trim levels), would that not, in fact, make it exactly what you seem to be trying to avoid? You want a plush off roader which in my mind = land cruiser. they have their reputation for a reason, but unfortunately have become more mall-terrain than all-terrain. back to the image thing.

i really dont know what to tell ya man, when you start building a badass 4x4 with those kinds of ameneties it makes it appealing to soccer moms because 1) its cooler than a minivan and 2) they think 4x4 makes them safer, which is not necessarily true. offer luxo trim, it becomes a mom-mobile. keep it spartan and they will stay away from it. simple as that. personally, i think there are pleanty of mall-crawlers on the market; lets keep this one as 'ute as possible as long as possible. there has to be some alternative to the heep...

fletch, have you looked at the new Xterras? they are A LOT better than the first gen, much more solid, better build etc. fairly capable off-road (especially with the new factory locker option), and i think they come with some pretty nice ameneties "loaded." Thats really the only decent 4x4 i can think of thats not really a mom-mobile other than straight utility vehicles like the d90, wrongler, and FJC. and the d90 is not even available in the US short of importing it yourself. H1, but those are WAY overpriced...

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
We aren't trying to be difficult, Fletcher. I hope you understand our fear. That fear being that Toyota starts trying to reel in too many people in your MARKET share and the price of our much anticipated, utilitarian off-roader goes out the roof. How about, you agree to play nice and buy one the way they are going to come and then you can spend an extra $25K having the boys at pimp my ride putting in TV's and leather...

That way Toyota doesn't have to kill us on pricing to target your end of the market share, we can all still afford to buy one, and you still get what you want even if it doesn't come from the factory.

Sounds like a win win situation.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Some of you guys are being pretty mean.

I am in the same boat as Fletch (except for the TVs). I would love leather, NAV, sunroof, and heated seats.

I need 4WD, always have. I have a rover now and anyone who has owned one can tell you that the cost of aquisition is nothing compared to the cost of ownership. I desire a tough, utilitarian, young, aggressive vehicle.

I also like comfort considering that 98% of the miles I put on it will be commuting, vacationing, and working. I want something nice to be inside of.

I also want something I can strap 6 boards on top of, throw the wet suits and towels in the back of and not be concerned.

This is the best I have found, I just wish it had a few more options.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I think I have said this before, but it never gets old.

"opinions are like assholes..."

Everyone just get what you like. Thats why they are called them options.
Hopefully every FJ will have is own uinque characteristics. Afterall we all are here for one reason....We want one !!!

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Fletch, I honestly thought you were trolling; your post just seemed very over the top. My bad and I'm sorry.

I do understand where you’re coming from UCFJWH and Fletch. I had a deposit on a new LR3 SE7 and decided to walk away after reading miles and miles of posts on LR boards about recurring problems on the new truck. Though all of it would be covered under warranty what was going to happen once the warranty lapsed.... There are next to no other options for people that want a capable 4x4 with a "nice" interior.

I needed something that was nice enough to take clients out in but was capable enough to take off road. There are a ton of trucks that fill that first need but once you want it to be capable the lists narrows quickly. IN my opinion you really only have the Land Cruiser and Land Rover offerings. If you want them to be reliable then you are only left with one.

The problem as I see it is even if you put leather, heated seats, etc... in the FJ you are still going to be left with "less then nice" interior panels, dash, radio etc... The rest of the fit and finish of the truck is still utilitarian and in my opinion would look out of place, if you upgrade all of that to cater to the "nicer" interior the base price would climb and that is exactly what people on this board are trying to avoid and exactly what Toyota has done with their Land Cruisers and 4 Runners.

If you disagree and still think that the FJ as it stands now would look great with the luxury interior just do it after the fact. When I was looking at a Tacoma Double Cab the dealer told me they could add leather and heated seats for $1,500 (pretty much the same cost if it would have been an option) and it would be covered under the same warranty. (The aftermarket leather company matches the mfg warranty)

To solve my problem I opted to buy my wife a new car and I use that when I have to entertain clients. Another upside for me is I won't care as much when the FJ gets some off-road rash.

Cheers,
Granger

·
Registered
181 Posts
UCFJWH said:
I desire a tough, utilitarian, young, aggressive vehicle.

I also like comfort considering that 98% of the miles I put on it will be commuting, vacationing, and working. I want something nice to be inside of.

I also want something I can strap 6 boards on top of, throw the wet suits and towels in the back of and not be concerned.

This is the best I have found, I just wish it had a few more options.
That is exactly what the 4Runner and Landcruiser are intended to be.

The fj intends to be a different vehicle.

This is a modern purpose built truck and it's integrity would be ruined by trying to appeal to too broad of a market.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Looks like you ruffled the feathers of all the off-road nazis.

I say buy the FJC as equipped as Toyota will provide it, and then add the rest yourself. Flip-down screens, back-up cameras, in-dash DVD nav, etc - that's all available aftermarket and it's getting cheaper and cheaper to have added to any car these days. I'd wager that you could buy a top-line FJC and have it completely kitted out to your liking for well under $40k.

And to those of you who are offended by this - I feel you, too. I come from a high-performance car mindset. I've invested a lot of time and money to make my car go fast and handle well. When I see guys add meaningless modifications to their cars that do nothing to enhance the performance, I gag a little. But to each his own.

And don't be worried that Toyota will start catering to people who want a more luxurious FJC. It won't happen. They would never risk taking sales away from their other SUV's that were purpose-built with such amenities.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts