Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I finally got the fj good and stuck. Like all good stuck stories I managed to sink it to the frame. As I contemplated the many places where I should have zigged when I really, and I mean really, should have zagged. I began to take on @ 12" of water. The reason for my post is to ask 2 questions ; 1- what is the best way to dryout the interior without taking the thing completely apart and 2- what is the best aftermarket door sill ? Any help or advice or if there might be something I might need to know. Thanks

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
if your stuck under water its going to get in.. even if you have a triple door sill and the best way to dry out the interior for me was tons of febreeze and i left the doors open in my front yard for 2 days in 100 degree florida heat

·
Premium Member
1,491 Posts
if your stuck under water its going to get in.. even if you have a triple door sill and the best way to dry out the interior for me was tons of febreeze and i left the doors open in my front yard for 2 days in 100 degree florida heat

Isn't "drying out" in " Florida heat" an oxymoron???

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
Agreed. There is no way to keep the water out. Your best bet is to take one for the team and rip the interior apart. There is just no way to get the floor matting dry fast enough to prevent mold, grit, and rust issues. It's not really all that hard, and could even be fun with the right folks helping and an adult beverage or two. You'll be glad you did.

A trip in to the service deptartment should be your next step to have front and rear differentials, transfer case, and transmission fluids replaced. It amazes me still that five years into the FJC model and Toyota has STILL NOT CORRECTED THEIR OVERSITE ON THE AIR BREATHERS.:flame: Sounds like you should have a Scuba Mod in your future.

·
Premium Member
13,453 Posts
Grab some elbow grease and rip it apart, no point in trying to do it half a$$ed your just going to regret it in the long run.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Hey Hey. You live a not so distant drive from me! And yes, though I've never had to do it, I've read it many times on here, you need to rip out the seats and carpet.

·
Registered
614 Posts

·
Premium Member
322 Posts
No one, and I mean no one wants a musky smelling FJ!! Bite the bullet and take it apart, and while you're in there I'm sure you can find something to wire up or mod. Think of it as a bonding experience...plus you gotta pay to play sometimes. Good luck

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the info guys.Yet another testament as to why I love this forum and will continue to pledge my yearly support!:cheers:That being said, I have decided to adhere to the advice of the veterans and going to tear it down this weekend. I got the doors open and my 900cfm squirrel cage blowing on it till then. If any of you guys are up around my way and want to add to list of people telling me how stupid I was for ending up where/how I did or lend a hand pm me. C**ktail waitress will be on duty!:) I am totally going to start my parts list for a scuba mod, marine speakers for the doors(at least) and whatever else I can think of doing while I got this open. I think that since I am going to be tearing it down n out it will be the perfect time for some dynomat along with some silicone. I would still like to know what good after market door sills are recommended. I, like most people, look for one thing and get sidetracked reading other posts so any links that you guys are familiar with about the door sills and interior floor tear down would be awesome. Going to send to the shop next week for the diff fluid flushing/changing, so it's back to the Chevy aka"gutless". For now at least. As for the gators well I did leave the doors open with half a raw chicken hanging from the rearveiw (to cover up the dirt smell) and beartraps in the floorboards. will keep all posted if I am having gator tail this weekend or not.:cheers:

Attachments

·
Registered
669 Posts
There is a way to dry things out very quickly. I have a de-humidifier that I bought from home depot for my basement. It removes moisture from the air and keep the basement feeling dry and no musty smell that comes with basements. In mid summer it pulls about a gal of water from the air every few days. When I clean the carpets in the house or the car I place it in the room or the car and shut the door. By The next morning things are completely bone dry and no musty smell.

Hope that helps

·
Premium Member
2,504 Posts
That water looks pretty dark I think even with a dehumidifier you will have an odor.

Look for a thread by Nice guy Santi. He swamped his FJ and replaced the padding with closed cell foam.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well I did think of nabbing the dehumidifer from the office today but not only was that water black it was slicker than owl s**t and smelly to boot. That being said I will probally run the dehumidifer once I have everything broke down and hosed down and reinstalled. I think that the funniest thing about this whole ordeal is that yesterday morning my buddy and I installed some really obnoxious dixie horns and were just going to a remote location to try them out. we got stuck before we tested them. The kicker is that once we were free from the perilous grips Blackwater two of the five horns' air hoses were crossed so it sounded like a taco truck pulling up to a construction site:bandit:! I nearly peed my pants.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Agreed. There is no way to keep the water out. Your best bet is to take one for the team and rip the interior apart. There is just no way to get the floor matting dry fast enough to prevent mold, grit, and rust issues. It's not really all that hard, and could even be fun with the right folks helping and an adult beverage or two. You'll be glad you did.
No one, and I mean no one wants a musky smelling FJ!! Bite the bullet and take it apart, and while you're in there I'm sure you can find something to wire up or mod. Think of it as a bonding experience...plus you gotta pay to play sometimes. Good luck
Took the good advice and like said have found other things that I want to do. I forsee my FJ being in total disaray for a while or at least till Fed-ex shows up. Playing the Price !:clap:
I was :wondering if I should do the SCUBA before or after I have the fluids flushed/changed at the shop or if it even matters. Thanks guys!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts