Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have a 2007 FJCruiser TRD Edition. It came fairly well equipped but I would like a little lift. Ideally I would like about a 3" in the front and 2" in the back. If I have to do 3" and 3" I would. And I don't want to change my shocks if possible because I think I paid for good equipment already as part of the TRD package.

Does anyone have a recommendation or comments? I just started looking into this today. Hopefully it is something I can do myself as well.

Thanks!

·
Registered
505 Posts
Re: I would like a 3" lift in from 2" in back

I just ordered the Toytec adjustable coilovers for the front and rear Toytec customs for the rear.

3" front, 2.5" back.

Was about $860. And yes, you can use the TRD shocks in the rear. You won't need them in the front due to the coil overs.

If you want to go cheaper, go with the OME

·
Registered
74 Posts

I too have the Toytec and I am very pleased.

·
Registered
876 Posts

I have a 2007 FJCruiser TRD Edition. It came fairly well equipped but I would like a little lift. Ideally I would like about a 3" in the front and 2" in the back. If I have to do 3" and 3" I would. And I don't want to change my shocks if possible because I think I paid for good equipment already as part of the TRD package.

Does anyone have a recommendation or comments? I just started looking into this today. Hopefully it is something I can do myself as well.

Thanks!
EFJJ,

Most FJ suspension kits seem to be at the 3" level in front, and about 2" in the rear. This helps to preserve the factory "stance" of the vehicle. This assumes of course going with new/complete coilovers in front and new springs in the rear (you can easily still uses your factory rear shocks).

While you are right about good equipment coming with your TRD, yes - but the custom Bilsteins are not at the level of performance that a good lift coilover is, and running spacers to keep the original equipment in my opinion is only doing things half-way at best.

A.W.D.

·
Registered
74 Posts

I was under the impression that the reasoning behind the 3" in the front and 2" in the rear was to remove the factory rake thus bringing the vehicle to a level stance. At least that is what it did for my rig.

·
Registered
449 Posts

I was under the impression that the reasoning behind the 3" in the front and 2" in the rear was to remove the factory rake thus bringing the vehicle to a level stance. At least that is what it did for my rig.

correct

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Mine as well. That is what I was trying to accomplish. Level it out.

My 21 year old son said he won't drive it if it isn't level. :(

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

That sounds reasonable. So what then exactly is your recommendation (i.e. parts, kit, manufacturer)? I am hoping a 3" in the front and 2" in the back will level me out and get a lift at the same time.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
3" front 2" rear should level things out nicely. Look at the ToyTec 3" lift packages.

Also, the front shocks will work just fine, but the rears will be too short. They'll top out at the drop of a hat. So plan on springing for a set of extended rear shocks too. Been there/done that.

Good luck and send us a picture.

·
Registered
876 Posts

The "factory rake" is designed into the body. It's supposed to look a bit nosed down in the front. If you check the measurements from the ground up to the frame and door sills, you will most likely find them to actually be level in the stock form. When you try to "level" the vehicle by measuring and accounting for the wheel well/fender lip measurements from front to rear, you will actually end up increasing the height in the front compared to the rear as far as the body and chasis are concerned.

A.W.D.

·
Registered
29 Posts

The "factory rake" is designed into the body. It's supposed to look a bit nosed down in the front. If you check the measurements from the ground up to the frame and door sills, you will most likely find them to actually be level in the stock form. When you try to "level" the vehicle by measuring and accounting for the wheel well/fender lip measurements from front to rear, you will actually end up increasing the height in the front compared to the rear as far as the body and chasis are concerned.

A.W.D.
The Wiz certainly speaks the truth. The stock FJ unloaded has 50.6 x 49.4% weight distribution front to rear.

ETA the number 4 in 49.4%

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
I am very happy with my OME front springs with the small space, and the ToyTec rear springs. Works out to be 3" in front and 2" in the rear. Great ride too.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Just get your wallet out and throw that credit card or cash on the table, make a phone call to a forum supporter and buy a lift. It will level it out and then you can sell your old parts for $$$$$.

Then you will say money well spent, oh and let the 21 year old catch the BUS ... :cheers:

·
Registered
365 Posts
OME heavies up front (if you have a winch/bumper) and mediums in the back... i heard that it's gotten hard to get the heavies, but i'm sure if you ask the right questions you'll get the answer you want...

·
Registered
449 Posts

A.W.D.
The Wiz certainly speaks the truth. The stock FJ unloaded has 50.6 x 49.4% weight distribution front to rear.

ETA the number 4 in 49.4%
SUVs and trucks come with rake in the suspension to prevent too much sag when loaded. Too much rear sag unloads the front wheels causing wander and understeer.

3/2 lift will take out some of the rake but not all of it.

·
Registered
831 Posts
i have ome mediums all around, rides better than stock looks good still has a little tiny rake but im sure if you do the heavies up front it will be perfect, but i heard that it is hard to align the heavies if you have no weight on the front. So thats why i went with the mediums i really dont mind the rake its alot less now than it was at factory.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts