Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning on driving from Durham, NC pretty much straight out on I40. For those people who live close to or know the I40 corridor, do you have any recommendations for interesting places to stop? An interesting restaurant, site, store, etc... Anything really memorable that I shouldn't miss.

I remember seeing a story on the Pops store in Arcadia (OK) with its giant soda bottle sign and interesting soda pop flavors, so even though it isn't exactly on I40, I want to go see. Things like that...

·
Registered
851 Posts
Graceland! I want to go to Graceland!

Route 66. In most of OK, TX, and NM, the interstate follows the Mother Road. You will see the signs for Historic 66, and lots of the I-40 Business loops are the actual old road.

There is much information to be found on the net about Rt. 66 attractions, but I will point out my faves or the ones I have always wanted to see:

In OKC, you should make time to veer downtown and see the Alfred P Murrah Building and memorial that they built there. It will change you.

Also in Oklahoma, you will see big billboards for Cherokee Trading Post. You should stop in there, it's very kitchsy and you will find all sorts of Indian type stuff, even steer horns for your FJ grill! Lots of Rattle Snake memorabilia, as well, and beautiful indian jewelry.

I have been to the Rt. 66 museum in Clinton, OK, and it is pretty cool. Very informative on RT 66 history. Cool cars. Elk City also has a museum that looks interesting.

Sayre has the Beckham County Court house that was featured in the Grapes of Wrath. An neat old building but you have to get off the interstate to see it.

If you stay on the old road throughout most of OK, TX, and NM, you will see the remnants of many old Motor Courts. Great photo opps.

In Groom, TX is one of the largest crosses in the country. Also has stations of the crucifiction and more.

Of course, I am partial to the Cadillac Ranch and The Big Texan Steak Ranch in Amarillo, because I am from near there. You can also go downtown on 6th St., which is also Rt. 66, for antique shops and road houses where you can drink beer and eat great food.

If you are interested in Odd Tourist Attractions, check out this website:
Roadside America - Guide to Uniquely Odd Tourist Attractions

Have fun on your trip!

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
I'm planning on driving from Durham, NC pretty much straight out on I40. For those people who live close to or know the I40 corridor, do you have any recommendations for interesting places to stop? An interesting restaurant, site, store, etc... Anything really memorable that I shouldn't miss.

I remember seeing a story on the Pops store in Arcadia (OK) with its giant soda bottle sign and interesting soda pop flavors, so even though it isn't exactly on I40, I want to go see. Things like that...
Are you going to the Summit in Ouray? If so, you can join us as we motor out there.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts