Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Uggh - After making up my mind to do the full Icon Stage 1 with LR UCAs, I'm now thinking about nixing the Icons in the rear. I will definitely get the Icons in the front and the LR UCAs. Overall, not doing the rears will save me about $550 (including install), as well as the comfort of keeping the rig more stock. Has anyone used Icons (or any other C/O) to level out the front while keeping the rear bone stock? Am I making any sense?

I have a new 2011 FJ with the CQ and UR packages. I'm not going to get a new front bumper or winch. I'm getting Nitto Terra Grappler 285/55R20s. I'm hoping to fit the bigger tires (without a body mount chop) by leveling out the rig with the Icons up front. I don't want to have the front higher than the rear, though. Anyone do anything like this?

As for my use, it will be 95%+ on road with occasional beach driving to go surf and some trips up to the snow to go snowboard (I live in SoCal). I may run a trail or two on rare occasion.

Also, I'm selling my stock 17" alloys with the Bridgestone Duelers (with probably less than 400 miles) - how much should I ask?

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
643 Posts
If you're only using the Icons to get level with the rear you can probably skip the LR UCAs too. With such a small difference in the front your alignment guy won't need the steering geometry correction the LR UCAs provide. I would suggest upgrading the rear shocks too. Since you are not lifting the rear you could just install the Icons and see how they feel with the stock rear shocks and then decide on doing the rear shocks later. But, I think the improvement in ride quality makes it worth while and I spend 95+% of my time on the road with some time on the beach or an occaisional logging road. I currently have LR UCAs with a OME lift and am upgrading to Icons remote res ext travel coilovers and Camburg rears shocks with Toytec springs. The Icons are on sale through Metal Tech in this group buy http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...on-group-buy-huge-savings-metal-tech-4x4.html

·
Registered
511 Posts
I ran for close to a year with Icon coilovers up front with stock UCA and absolutely stock in the rear. It works just fine. I did it for the same reason you did - to save some $$ up front. Eventually I upgraded the rear suspension to Icon as well, but there's no need to do it until you're ready.

Cheers,

Jeff

1 - 4 of 4 Posts