Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey FJ'ers,

I searched but couldn't find anything so thought I would post the question.

I purchased a set of Icon front coilover shocks without the resevoirs. The questions is, what is the biggest difference in the two? What are the benefits of the remote res.? What about longevity, durability and maintanence?

Also, this may be a dumb question and I think I know the answer, but can the non res. shocks be coverted to res. style shocks? Just wondering for future enhancements.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
Yes, if you change your mind, you can send your coilovers to icon for a rebuild to add the external reservoirs. The reservoirs are meant to extend the fluid travel within the coilover so if you like going fast over whoops where the suspension will be cycling rapidly, it will help with cooling down the fluid within the coilover. If you are into slow crawling type offroading, the reservoirs are just overkill. I have noticed with mine, they are noticably smoother when going fast over undulating terrain. Hope that helped. :cheers:

-Sang

·
Registered
364 Posts
If you don't know the difference then you probably wont need the reservoirs unless you plane on flying across the desert at high speeds all day long. Save your money for other mods

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great info! Thanks! Yea, I'm thinking it would probably be overkill for the 4x4ing that I do. But also GREAT to know that they can be converted....if the itch gets to me. Thanks!

·
Registered
341 Posts
IMO a complete waste of money for the majority of FJ owners.

Unless you plan to run your FJ hard though several miles of whoops you will never overheat your shocks. Most FJs are not set up for the type of abuse that would require reservoirs.

Last summer I used my FJ to pre-run a 75 mile race course in the Lucerne Valley. When we got back to the pits the first thing I did was carefully touch one of my shocks (Icon's non-res), they were cool after 2+ hours of hard driving.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I am happier than a pig in $#@% just knowing that I will have Icons!!! I can't wait to wheel it. It is going to ride soooooo much smoother than my OME 886's (so I'm told). I may actually take it out more.

·
Registered
166 Posts
About 3 months ago I got the regular travel ICON Stage 1 suspension NON-resi and I cant tell you how satisfied I am with the set up. Im a "slow as you go" offroader and didnt need the resi's but it is nice knowing they can be rebuilt and converted if needed. The ICON ride is better than I expected. Initially I just wanted to level the truck, but thought I would maybe put on a heavy ARB bumper with winch so I went with the ICON coilovers. Man.....glad I did. Really nice piece of kit. The nicest part is the complete adjustability. If you add something heavy or lighten up the rig, you can make ride height adjustments very simply. BTW...Im using stock UCA's....no problem whatsoever with my 2.5 inch lift.

·
Registered
118 Posts
IMO a complete waste of money for the majority of FJ owners.

Unless you plan to run your FJ hard though several miles of whoops you will never overheat your shocks. Most FJs are not set up for the type of abuse that would require reservoirs.

Last summer I used my FJ to pre-run a 75 mile race course in the Lucerne Valley. When we got back to the pits the first thing I did was carefully touch one of my shocks (Icon's non-res), they were cool after 2+ hours of hard driving.

I agree 100%.. Having an internal resi does have it's benefits over remote resivoir. The pressure spike internally is much greater than a remote resivoir making the non resi shock seem like it has a built in bump-stop. All that is to a certain extent, once a shock reaches extreme temperatures, the damping go's out the window. In extreme applications a remote resivoir is the way to go but NOT necessary for 99% of FJ owners.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Well, I am happier than a pig in $#@% just knowing that I will have Icons!!! I can't wait to wheel it. It is going to ride soooooo much smoother than my OME 886's (so I'm told). I may actually take it out more.
So I've got to ask...how are you liking the Icons. I'm on the market for a lift and I'm torn between a full OME kit or just front Icons. Since you've had both what are your thoughts? I really like the idea of not needing to adjust or mess with the OMEs but at the same time it would be nice to have the option. My main goal is to level the FJ which is why I have been second guessing the OME option.

Also, I love how the stock suspension is SILENT. Do either or these options squeak or clunk from your experience? Also, which rides better?

Thanks for any info you can provide!

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
Icon recently standardized a "low speed valving change" option that softens the feel of the shock. I am running these now and like them a lot. I have had the "regular" Icons on three vehicles prior, and like this softer valving much better for my relatively conservative use profile. The only drawback I have noticed is that they don't slow down the vehicle weight shifts as much, but the ride is great. Swaybars should probably stay on with these (but then again, my FJ is lifted higher than average).

Most dealers probably are not aware of the option, so you are best served talking directly with Icon if you have questions. I was actually considering remote resi's with clickers just so I could soften the ride. Icon explained that the clickers on the resi's are for the high speed valving, and I would benefit more from a low speed change. Saved me a lot of money and delivered something that better suited my needs. Can't say enough good about Icon's willingness to explain all this to me.

Thanks
Shawn

·
Registered
415 Posts
So I've got to ask...how are you liking the Icons. I'm on the market for a lift and I'm torn between a full OME kit or just front Icons. Since you've had both what are your thoughts? I really like the idea of not needing to adjust or mess with the OMEs but at the same time it would be nice to have the option. My main goal is to level the FJ which is why I have been second guessing the OME option.

Also, I love how the stock suspension is SILENT. Do either or these options squeak or clunk from your experience? Also, which rides better?

Thanks for any info you can provide!
ICON for the front is a good way to start. The rear of the FJ beneifts greatly from a better shock as well.

My recommendation for a stage one lift includes adding the 2.5" piggybacks to the rear.
I recommend taking the money you'd spend on UCA's (unless you have alignment issues) and upgrade the rear shocks.

I've got several customers (including myself) who run this setup. The rear really benefits from the larger diameter shock...

No squeaky UCA's, Bulletproof shocks that will last the lifetime of the truck.

:cheers:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts