Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First post here, nice site! Anyways, I just bought my 07 FJ a week ago. I am looking to lift the front end just 1.5" or so in order to level it with the back. I want to avoid spacers so I am looking for a good set of coilovers. The truck is my daily driver so I want to maintain the stock ride. The offroading I will use it for will be mostly moderate trails in the mountains. No high speed stuff, no crazy rock crawling, no mud. I was thinking of getting the Icon coilovers and adjust them for 1.5" of lift or so. Couple questions.

Apart from the coilovers (and spanner wrench to adjust) will I need anything else? Extended brake lines, UCAs?

I plan on keeping the back stock for now, anything wrong with that?

How hard is the install? I have installed lifts on my 95 Ford Ranger, my 1998 ZJ and my brothers 2000 XJ, so I have decent experience.

Will 285/70-17 BFG MTs fit with this set up?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How do the Icons compare to the Walker Evans or Fox coilovers on All-Pro's website?

·
Registered
186 Posts
I have that set up the icons are nice and easy to install nothing wrong with the level lift and if you ever want to go up higher replace the rears and maybe the UCA and you will be good. I have seen quite a few folks running 285/70/17s with level lifts mine still has the stock size for now. The Icons also allow you to change your bumper and add a winch. Go for it.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Bump! I was looking to do the same. Any insight on the OP's questions?

·
Registered
440 Posts
I installed the Icon coilovers and nothing else to level out my FJ about a year ago. I had nothing else done to it at the time and had no problems with the UCA's or anything of that nature. Late in 2012 I added the Icon 2" springs and rear shocks and cranked out the coilovers to almost its full potential so I could fit some 285/75/16 Nitto Trail Grapplers without any chance of rubbing. And as far as the Install I couldn't tell you because I had my local shop do it and he said it was pretty straight forward. Hope this works and here are some pics when I had it leveled with the Coilovers!

·
Registered
270 Posts
I put Toytec adjustable coilovers on mine to level out the front. The only other thing to be installed were some swaybar relocation plates.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Bump! I was looking to do the same. Any insight on the OP's questions?

With the standard ICON CO's you can run the stock UCA's. no need to lengthen the brake lines. Straight forward install, will provide years of driving bliss...

:cheers:

·
Registered
566 Posts
With the standard ICON CO's you can run the stock UCA's. no need to lengthen the brake lines. Straight forward install, will provide years of driving bliss...

How does the ride differ from stock? I very much enjoy the stock ride at the moment. I used to have a lifted wrangler and that thing rattled worse than a can of Krylon. I just don't want to ruin what I have!

·
Registered
415 Posts
Ride is better than stock. Less brake dive. Can be cranked up at a later date to match rear lift if needed.

·
Registered
184 Posts
All I can say is the ride will be more firm. It is the nature of the stiffer coils provided with the ICON coilovers. There will be less brake dive and corner lean which is good. You also won't feel much difference at highway speed. But, speed bumps at the mall will be a little bit more harsh. Not a bad thing, just different. Remember, you're installing performance offroad equipment.

How does the ride differ from stock? I very much enjoy the stock ride at the moment. I used to have a lifted wrangler and that thing rattled worse than a can of Krylon. I just don't want to ruin what I have!

·
Registered
10,293 Posts
I have the Walker Evans 2.5 diameter shock coilovers and love them! I ran just front coilovers with stock rear suspension for awhile and it was a little harsh in the rear but doable. I then got the Walker Evans rear shocks and All Pro springs and it drives like a dream much better than stock on and off road.

I think the need for UCAs depends how high you raise the front coilovers. The main purpose of the UCAs is to achieve proper alignment.

For the front coilovers you need nothing more than the coilovers and spanner wrench to raise or lower them. If you get rear suspension you need extended brake lines that come with the WE rear kit through All Pro :cheers:

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
Premium Member
862 Posts
I started my suspension upgrade with standard travel ICONs in the front, like you are considering (no UCAs of course). They elevated the front with significantly improved performance. The downside was that you have a rockin front suspension with a not-so-awesome weak rear suspension. A moderate vacation loadout resulted in at least 1 inch of sag in the rear with a nose-up stance. I think of being nose-up as worse than being in the stock nose-down stance with resulting adverse effects on handling and upward deviation of the headlights. Hence, after a year, I upgraded to ICON coils and shocks in the rear. I'm really happy with that combination.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts