Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can they be rebuilt with remote resi? About how many miles are they lasting on average before a rebuild is needed?

Or should I just sell them and buy king or fox coilovers?

I have 45k on my rig and just want to prepare for future plans.
Thank guys

·
Banned
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don't know if they're rebuild-able with remote reservoirs, but mine have at least 100,000 miles on them (incl. a lot of off-road miles) and still work great. They're so old that they're actually Donahoe Racing not Icons.
Wow 100k that's good to know. I've heard of people doing rebuilds at 50-60k but didn't know if it was needed

·
Premium Member
9,003 Posts
It probably depends a lot on the environment , you truck is exposed to. I bet in salty watery slushy muddy conditions, coilovers need earlier service.
I bet the seals take a thrashing in those conditions. Yes off-road is another factor.

·
Wanderlust
4,157 Posts
Yes, ICON can add the reservoirs according to Jeremy @ ICON.
There's no need to have them rebuild unless you find pits on the shock shafts, leaking seals, squeaking bearings, or dampening change as a result of shock oil degradation due to heat (could be as simple as a nitrogen recharge). So, there's no average time or mileage for rebuilds. If you're planning to build your FJ as a Baja racer than you can have these rebuild with reservoirs and add ICON bypass shocks later. King just introduced their Internal Bypass (IBP) coilovers but I'm not sure if they're offering this option for the FJ yet.
King IBP

·
Banned
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, ICON can add the reservoirs according to Jeremy @ ICON.
There's no need to have them rebuild unless you find pits on the shock shafts, leaking seals, squeaking bearings, or dampening change as a result of shock oil degradation due to heat (could be as simple as a nitrogen recharge). So, there's no average time or mileage for rebuilds. If you're planning to build your FJ as a Baja racer than you can have these rebuild with reservoirs and add ICON bypass shocks later. King just introduced their Internal Bypass (IBP) coilovers but I'm not sure if they're offering this option for the FJ yet.
King IBP
Awsome!

·
Registered
315 Posts
Can they be rebuilt with remote resi? About how many miles are they lasting on average before a rebuild is needed?

Or should I just sell them and buy king or fox coilovers?

I have 45k on my rig and just want to prepare for future plans.
Thank guys
Aren't the ICONs the "cat's meow?" If so, why would you want to sell them and buy King or Fox?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Both my ICON stage one coil over front shocks have blown now. I do live in a snowy, slushy muddy rough road area but that is why I purchased the ICON shocks in the first place. One coil over totally blew and now the other one has started to squeak and today as I changed my wheels I saw the oil build up all over the base of the shock.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts