Votes: 50 50.5%
  • No

Votes: 49 49.5%
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I traded my '08 in for a new 2011 and gearing up to start modding. I had the ICON stage 1 on my '08, but the driver's side started squeaking after only about three months. I am curious if mine was part of the norm or a fluke. I know this site is partial to ICON, but I don't want to spend that much for something that squeaks.

I set up a simple yes or no poll.

·
fka RockWeasel
226 Posts
No squeaking at all after a half a year in some pretty bad snow, slush, salt and de-icing chemicals.

That goes for the ICON UCA's as well.

·
Registered
171 Posts
My guess is you just need to powerwash VERY well. Unless you have Uniballs, most squeaking evolves from dirt trapped that dries out shafts and flexible joints.

·
Premium Member
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I put mine on back in June or July, so close to the same time frame as you. They were really hard to get back in May and I ended up finding 1 in-stock at Toytec around the first of June. It may not have even been three months, because I am thinking it was in August I had the squeak.

·
Premium Member
1,491 Posts
Arid desert offroading and no squeaks here after 10mos w/Icons

·
Registered
175 Posts

·
Forum Detective
2,273 Posts
I also had this problem with my Toytec lift. My problem was due to Toyota changing the sway bar bracket. When you lift the vehicle it cause this to rub and you get sweeking. Check and see if your sway bar is rubbing, I would put money on it that this is your problem. It will be rubbing on the driver’s side of the FJ. Just looking over this thread I can see the people having the problem have 2010 or newer FJ's.
Here is a pic.
You can see on the left side (drivers’ side) the sway bar is making contact. This is what is causing your sweeking, or at least what caused mine.
Hope this helps!

Two options:
1. Remove sway bar.
2. Get a sway bar relocation kit for the 2010 - I am pretty sure Icon has them, I know Toytec does.

·
Registered
2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser M/T
337 Posts
When mine started to squeak I lubricated the heim joints with some Wurth HHS-K Spray Lubricant, problem solved.
What are the "Heim joints" ?

I want to try this because I did do the sway bar relocation kit. Not sure what the problem is...

·
Registered
4,563 Posts
One of my ICON's started squeaking like a mother and no amount of lube would cure it (they'd been on for close to 3 years). Turned out the heim joint needed to be replaced. ICON over-nighted one to me and I had it pressed in. End of squeaking.

Jim

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
Mine haven't squeaked in 4 years and over 100,000 miles (can't remember what mileage was when I installed them), though my hearing isn't the best.
Me2 no squeak here. Although Jason Demello installed mine for me, I will give him all the credit for mine not squeeking. :clap:

-Mike:cheers:

btw, Mine are donohoe, not Icon, but same thing. been on since mid 07'

·
Trail Snail
3,246 Posts
Me2 no squeak here. Although Jason Demello installed mine for me, I will give him all the credit for mine not squeeking. :clap:

-Mike:cheers:

btw, Mine are donohoe, not Icon, but same thing. been on since mid 07'
Same with mine.

·
fka RockWeasel
226 Posts
It's all anecdotal, and seems to be hit and miss.

I'll say this much: I was in the same boat when I bought mine. Threads of the Nefarious Squeak abounded, and I took the plunge anyway.

Installed them myself, never applied any lubricant or oil like some have, and even after the sludge of a winter they're still quiet as can be. And that's with the ICON UCA's, as well.

I'm not sure exactly what the culprit is, or what differentiates one rig from another, but I definitely love mine. They ride like butter.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts