Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '11 with only about 50k miles, with very little of it offroad. I live in San Diego and the FJ has always been garage kept. I took my FJ in to Off Road Warehouse a few weeks ago to see if I could get rid of the driver side lean, which I now understand is a common issue. In any case, I haven't done any maintenance on my suspension, so I thought it was a good idea to have it looked at to see if anything needed to be fixed. The attached file is what they said I need done - like $220 in parts and $550 in labor. I was just wondering if I'm getting taken for a ride, or if this level of maintenance makes sense at this time. I have Icon Stage 1 suspension with Light Racing UCAs. These were both installed when the FJ was brand new. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Here's also a little back and forth that I had with their tech:

Can you explain the need for the uniball upper arms is? This is a 1” spherical bearing, acts as a ball joint with more articulation, the liner is gone inside causing play and a squeak, it can be lubricated but will only last a week. Also helps with a proper alignment.
What does the driver hub actually do? Hib hold the wheel onto the spindle/knuckle, the wheel has the potential to fall off if the hub has to much play.
What's the difference between the hub bearing kit and the sealed bearing? I'm guessing the bearing doesn't come as part of the kit? We can get you the complete hub with bearing inside and sealed.

Attachments

·
Registered
279 Posts
If they are gonna do both your uniballs and bearings that’s actually a pretty good deal imo.

I get 2 year later out of my TC uniballs but I practically live on trails 6 months out of the year.

Wheel bearings on my 07 lasted till 175k but should have been done sooner. Wheel spacers will eat them up too

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
5,759 Posts
I have never seen an estimate that details things like cable ties and neverseize...and the alignment price seems high. Maybe these are just California prices? You might want to try a different shop...

·
Premium Member
11,613 Posts
I have come across the itemized consumable list in the past - it's just a shop preference vs having a standard shop supplies charge.

Alignment price seems decent to me - up here the moment they see you are 4 wheel drive another $50 get tacked on to the price.

Overall on the bill there is noting that causes a red flag.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have never seen an estimate that details things like cable ties and neverseize...and the alignment price seems high. Maybe these are just California prices? You might want to try a different shop...

I would disagree, the alignment price is actually low and an estimate providing itemization down to this level indicates not only a high attention to detail but a level of transparency Rarely seen in an automotive repair shop.
Why would this ever be seen as a negative as opposed to the typical $20+ consumables line item you’ll likely see multiple times on a repair bill with this many items being touched.

I’m actually impressed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
5,759 Posts
Interesting...I have never seen or heard of consumables charge or shop charge up here. And alignments are typically in the $75 range.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, all!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts