Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Newbie to the forums. Just got my 07 FJC in December '10, and now that spring is nearly here it's time to put on the lift kit. I've done a lot of research and think I'm gonna shell out the $$$ and go for an ICON Stage 1.

Question: does anyone know if there is an authorized ICON dealer/distributor in Canada? If not, any idea on how much duty I'll be forking out to have it shipped up here? I think ToyTec is running about the best price I've seen, but I'm not sure how much shipping & duty will run me. I'll be giving them a call on Monday to get some more info. TIA for any and all help.

·
fka PrairieCruiser
821 Posts
Newbie to the forums. Just got my 07 FJC in December '10, and now that spring is nearly here it's time to put on the lift kit. I've done a lot of research and think I'm gonna shell out the $$$ and go for an ICON Stage 1.

Question: does anyone know if there is an authorized ICON dealer/distributor in Canada? If not, any idea on how much duty I'll be forking out to have it shipped up here? I think ToyTec is running about the best price I've seen, but I'm not sure how much shipping & duty will run me. I'll be giving them a call on Monday to get some more info. TIA for any and all help.
Sask guy here. Running ICON Stage I. Brought my front coil-overs from Toytec and my rear coils and shocks from wheelersoffroad.

Toytec shipped mine through UPS who pre-collected all duties and taxes so I want to say it was around $300.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
roots: Thanks for the quick reply. $300 is a little ridiculous, but about what I expected I guess. Count on the government to make sure we get screwed over for living north of the border. I guess the North American Free Trade Agreement only applies to Big Business and Big Brother.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
There's also this company. I didn't purchase through them but if I were to get mine re-built i'd most likely be sending them here.

High Rollerz Trux

·
Registered
603 Posts
You just missed the end of the MetalTech Group buy on ICON components. Last time i checked they were offering free shipping to the lower 48 and I THINK doing 1/2 off shipping to Canada**(just checked, $50 off Shipping to Canada). I bought the Stage 1 with extended travel C/O for a little over $1,200.

Seeing as how you just became a member in the last 6 days, maybe they'd hook you up! Let me see if i can find the link...

**EDIT** Group Buy ends March 7th...Jump on this!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanks Gabex! Just pulled the trigger on the ICON Kit and LR UCAs through Metal Tech. Mark was great to deal with; he answered a lot of questions and even set me up with more economical shipping for north of the border.:bigthumb:

hazardhat & Cogen Man: Thanks for the info. I've bookmarked those sites and will definitely be in touch with both companies in the future as I shop for more mods. I have a sinking suspicion I have gotten myself into a rather addictive and expensive hobby!:rocker:

·
Registered
677 Posts
FWIW Ski(CT Motorsports) mainly deals in Rad Flow,that's not say he can't get them for you just that it will cost you more!

The cheapest way(for me at least) was to have them shipped (free) to Buffalo and make a run down there and get them,just had to pay duty!

I'll be heading up to the Sudbury area Easter weekend if you need anything delivered:cheers:

Oh, Welcome to the forums:wave:

·
Premium Member
13,453 Posts
There should be no duty on they fall under NAFTA. You would only have to pay GST/PST where applicable and with the stregth of the dollar now is a good time to buy.

·
Registered
677 Posts
There should be no duty on they fall under NAFTA. You would only have to pay GST/PST where applicable and with the stregth of the dollar now is a good time to buy.
Should have clarified! I got dinged for duty on the ARB bumper that I picked up at the same time! I paid only PST at the time(Toytec parts and bumper) ,not sure now as we have the HST or how they apply it now!

·
Premium Member
13,453 Posts
Should have clarified! I got dinged for duty on the ARB bumper that I picked up at the same time! I paid only PST at the time(Toytec parts and bumper) ,not sure now as we have the HST or how they apply it now!
Here is how duty and taxes are figured:

Price Paid is converted to Canadian $ at the current exchange rate

X

Duty % if applicable

X

PST/GST

= Total

·
Registered
594 Posts
Catt Ski at CT Motorsports. He deals with Icon now.

With shipping, don't forget brokerage fees. If the Icons are made in the U.S. duty won't be a problem. Be sure.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Here is how duty and taxes are figured:
Price Paid is converted to Canadian $ at the current exchange rate
X
Duty % if applicable
X
PST/GST
= Total
you forgot about brokerage fees. for instance, last year I bought a set of Ricochet skids for about $700 US and got it shipped to my home in Ontario - big mistake! cost me almost $200 CAD extra in UPS brokerage fee and taxes (!!!) since then I ship everything to Niagara Falls (US)...

·
Premium Member
13,453 Posts
UPS is the worst for brokerage, they charge a % of the shipment value, the higher the value the higher the brogerage.

USPS wil charge a flat rate for brokerage but not very many vendors will use USPS because there is no way to tracj anything and it's to easy for the end user to "claim" something was missing or never received.

Another thing to remember is the when the exchane rates are applied.

You may purchase something on Monday with a good exchange rate that makes your purchase worthwhile.

Let say it takes 3 days to get to the border, in that time the dollar could have tanked and now the exchange rate being used for the duties/taxes is not good.

·
Premium Member
1,984 Posts
Avoid UPS at all cost if you can they go crazy on brokerage and fees. Try ro have stuff shipped USPS, if they can't , try to find a place near the border ( if you are too ) that you can ship too and then go get it. You will end up paying less than with UPS , even with having to taxes at the border. There isn't supposed to be any customs fees if the items are made in USA, thanks to Free trade...

Try these to find shipping possibilties https://www.kinek.com/kpointC/Home.action and http://shiptotheborder.com/

·
Premium Member
13,453 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for all the tips guys. FYI, Metal Tech uses USPS to ship to their Canadian customers in order to avoid costly brokerage fees. Guess I'm gonna have to find somewhere in Soo Michigan to have stuff shipped to in case a vendor only uses USPS. I hate living far from the border.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts