Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

· Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

So I'm looking at a suspension setup so I can go ahead and start saving. My suspension budget is going to be just under $2,000. It'll take me a couple months to put that aside, but I'd rather wait and do it once than do it again because I went with the wrong setup the first time. Upper control arms will come a little after the suspension goes in. My future mods include a Demello Evil Eye front bumper, Demello rear bumper, Flat Roof Rack with a Rooftop Tent (James Baroud Maybe?), a water tank mounted in the back where people normally put auxiliary fuel tanks, skid plates along the entire underside & some various interior modifications for overlanding. I'm also curious how well each one performs when flying down dirt roads like I do on occasion. Also, how necessary are external reservoirs? This is my daily, so I am looking for a very comfortable 3 inch adjustable lift kit that also performs very well off road. My FJ is a Quicksand 2011 with Technology package, Premium Audio package & Off Road package.

Thanks so much in advance!

Links to the kits I'm looking at:

Icon: K53061 - Icon Stage 1 Suspension System (2010 - Current FJ/4Runner)

ToyTec: TTBOSS-FJ210- ToyTec BOSS Suspension System for 10-14 FJ Cruiser

· Premium Member
18,340 Posts
IMO - save your pennies for the ICON. Defiantly a more robust set up.

IMO if you are looking to add that much weight to the FJ the weak point on the BOSS kit would be from the lower mount to the base to of the coilover. BOSS is a toothpick compared to the ICON.

· Premium Member
18,340 Posts
I'm referring to the front coilovers, if you start at the lower shock mount and follow it up to the base of the coilover - The BOSS is thin like a stock shock, on the ICON (black) is nice and beefy (same for SAW, KINGS, FOX).

This has been a failure point on stock suspension and if the OP is planning on adding everything on his list - why tempt fate.

ICONS are 2.5" OD up front where the BOSS is 2" - makes a big difference.

· Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Icons are what I'm leaning towards, I definitely just wanted some input from others who have experience with both. Also, Icon seems to have majority favoritism on the forums. Should I save more pennies for a different stage Icon kit or would the stage one kit do the job just fine to start with?

· Registered
230 Posts
Hey all,

So I'm looking at a suspension setup so I can go ahead and start saving. My suspension budget is going to be just under $2,000. It'll take me a couple months to put that aside, but I'd rather wait and do it once than do it again because I went with the wrong setup the first time. Upper control arms will come a little after the suspension goes in. My future mods include a Demello Evil Eye front bumper, Demello rear bumper, Flat Roof Rack with a Rooftop Tent (James Baroud Maybe?), a water tank mounted in the back where people normally put auxiliary fuel tanks, skid plates along the entire underside & some various interior modifications for overlanding. I'm also curious how well each one performs when flying down dirt roads like I do on occasion. Also, how necessary are external reservoirs? This is my daily, so I am looking for a very comfortable 3 inch adjustable lift kit that also performs very well off road. My FJ is a Quicksand 2011 with Technology package, Premium Audio package & Off Road package.

Thanks so much in advance!

Links to the kits I'm looking at:

Icon: K53061 - Icon Stage 1 Suspension System (2010 - Current FJ/4Runner)

ToyTec: TTBOSS-FJ210- ToyTec BOSS Suspension System for 10-14 FJ Cruiser
I had this same dilemma last year. I went with the Toytec boss kit but choose to go with the 2.5" toytec extended travel front coil-over then I added added the reg super flex rear springs and the boss shocks for a total of about 1600 dollars. These are not sold as kits anymore but if you go on Toytec site you can piece together your own kit. This is a very robust setup. I would not buy any companies 2 inch coil-over because 2.5 will drive and ride so much better. The ICON stage one kit is a 2.0" coil-over. Plus this can all be had for less than the ICON stage one.
1,199 for the 2.5 coil-over, $209 for the rear springs, $69 for rear bump stops and $209 for 2 boss shocks. Good luck in your decision. You would not be disappointed in this set up.

Reactions: Anh and debFJVT

· Registered
293 Posts
I was in your same place a year ago. Trying to plan ahead for future mods while getting the suspension dialed first. I was looking at the same kits and budget as well. I opted to save up a bit more and get the Stage 2 from Icon. I got new wheels and tires just before the suspension but I waited and put everything on together. I didn't want to have alignment issues on brand new rubber for any extended amount of time which is a common problem if you don't get the UCA's as well. Zero regrets with the ride quality and I finally got to flex it a little this last weekend down in southern Utah. I'm all smiles.

· Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I had this same dilemma last year. I went with the Toytec boss kit but choose to go with the 2.5" toytec extended travel front coil-over then I added added the reg super flex rear springs and the boss shocks for a total of about 1600 dollars. These are not sold as kits anymore but if you go on Toytec site you can piece together your own kit. This is a very robust setup. I would not buy any companies 2 inch coil-over because 2.5 will drive and ride so much better. The ICON stage one kit is a 2.0" coil-over. Plus this can all be had for less than the ICON stage one.
1,199 for the 2.5 coil-over, $209 for the rear springs, $69 for rear bump stops and $209 for 2 boss shocks. Good luck in your decision. You would not be disappointed in this set up.

@Mulie So when you guys say coilovers, my head goes to lowered cars because that's the scene I graduated from when I joined the FJ world. What exactly is the difference between a 2.0 & 2.5 inch coilover adjustment? How high you can raise and lower the lift? Also how would you compare the ride quality to the stock suspension? Because right now this is the most comfortable ride I've ever been in.

Thanks in advance!!!

· MOAB SUPERSTAR
7,273 Posts
The 2.0 and 2.5 refer to shock diameter, and the lower shaft will be much more stout on 2.5s. I started with Toytec Boss 2.0 kit, broke the toothpick shaft and now run Boss 2.5 coilovers up front (and Radflo Long Travel 2.5s rear with dual rate Metal Tech coils) and could not be happier with both on road ride (comes closest to that sweet, smooth stock feel) and offroad performance. I also feel Toytec as a company is the best out there for customer service :rocker: All Toytec shocks are made by Radflo. I keep hearing about failures and problems with Icon shocks, seems like more lately. Also be prepared to get that UCA on there quickly - pretty much no way around it, and that would mean a second alignment. GL!

· Admin
30,998 Posts
I'm referring to the front coilovers, if you start at the lower shock mount and follow it up to the base of the coilover - The BOSS is thin like a stock shock, on the ICON (black) is nice and beefy (same for SAW, KINGS, FOX).

This has been a failure point on stock suspension and if the OP is planning on adding everything on his list - why tempt fate.

ICONS are 2.5" OD up front where the BOSS is 2" - makes a big difference.
Thanks, I did not know that. :cheers:

· Registered
230 Posts
Everything DEBFJVT said ^. She is an FJ sage, dropping some knowledge for you. I will add this, a 2.5 will have a greater surface area to absorb impacts and more ability to prevent the shock oil from heating up and losing damping ability especially on high speed fire roads. My ride is incredible; much less body roll when turning and a lot less pitch when hitting the brakes as compared to stock. The ride on the road is supple and not too firm. Off road they are phenomenal, as I am sure all major brands are. There has been quite a few times I was booking it across a sand dune or desert road (yes, I am an FJ owner who craves speed) where I have had to tell my family to "grab on, this is gonna hurt" only to find out that my suspension eats it up and craves for more. Dollar for dollar best money I have spent on the FJ. Finally,the FJ's weight sits right at the in-between of a 2.0 and 2.5 inch diameter coil-over, in my opinion, its better to have over-kill than under-kill. No matter what choice you make on a lift kit, go with the company's 2.5 coil-over"

· Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Everything DEBFJVT said ^. She is an FJ sage, dropping some knowledge for you. I will add this, a 2.5 will have a greater surface area to absorb impacts and more ability to prevent the shock oil from heating up and losing damping ability especially on high speed fire roads. My ride is incredible; much less body roll when turning and a lot less pitch when hitting the brakes as compared to stock. The ride on the road is supple and not too firm. Off road they are phenomenal, as I am sure all major brands are. There has been quite a few times I was booking it across a sand dune or desert road (yes, I am an FJ owner who craves speed) where I have had to tell my family to "grab on, this is gonna hurt" only to find out that my suspension eats it up and craves for more. Dollar for dollar best money I have spent on the FJ. Finally,the FJ's weight sits right at the in-between of a 2.0 and 2.5 inch diameter coil-over, in my opinion, its better to have over-kill than under-kill. No matter what choice you make on a lift kit, go with the company's 2.5 coil-over"
The 2.0 and 2.5 refer to shock diameter, and the lower shaft will be much more stout on 2.5s. I started with Toytec Boss 2.0 kit, broke the toothpick shaft and now run Boss 2.5 coilovers up front (and Radflo Long Travel 2.5s rear with dual rate Metal Tech coils) and could not be happier with both on road ride (comes closest to that sweet, smooth stock feel) and offroad performance. I also feel Toytec as a company is the best out there for customer service :rocker: All Toytec shocks are made by Radflo. I keep hearing about failures and problems with Icon shocks, seems like more lately. Also be prepared to get that UCA on there quickly - pretty much no way around it, and that would mean a second alignment. GL!
Thanks so much for the info guys! Also the info in regards to customer service is big for me; a company's customer service is what determines if I ever buy from them again or not. So question then, since I won't be buying a kit with the potentiality of UCAs, what are some recommended UCAs? And as for alignments, that's not an issue for me. I'm a service adviser at a Volkswagen dealership and can use our alignment machine whenever.

Thanks again!

· Banned
2,220 Posts
I will
Also suggest you open your budget up more . My Fj looks stock still just taller . It’s Not. And it turned a lot of heads in Moab mine included . The suspension seams like a big hit at the time but in the end it is probably the least expensive mod. A lot of little things add up fast .

· MOAB SUPERSTAR
7,273 Posts
You might get lucky with a post lift alignment without swapping UCAs. I know some like @Joabmc have...nice that you have direct access to a rack! In general the open uniball UCAs need lots more maintenance and do fail more easily than closed/booted ballpoint styles. I’ve been running SPC for a couple years and keep up with lube, no problems. And I am hard on them!

· Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You might get lucky with a post lift alignment without swapping UCAs. I know some like @Joabmc have...nice that you have direct access to a rack! In general the open uniball UCAs need lots more maintenance and do fail more easily than closed/booted ballpoint styles. I’ve been running SPC for a couple years and keep up with lube, no problems. And I am hard on them!
Once again, awesome information! Thanks so much! Can you link me to a good place to buy SPC UCAs?

Thanks again!

1 - 20 of 69 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.