Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I FINALLY got all the parts in for my Icon Stage 6 Lift. I have a bad shoulder and have been forbidden from lifting anything over 10-15 lbs, furthermore I work alot and am a car idiot to boot.

Am looking for recommendations on lift installers in the OKC or Tulsa area. if not there, what about Dallas, TX or in that area. I can always spend a few days in Dallas for fun.

Thanks for any recommendations!

·
Premium Member
9,345 Posts
If you decide to make the trip to Dallas we can get that lift installed for ya.

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can you PM me or email me an approximate cost (just ballpark, saying with 10% or so) and how long it would take?

sippervixx -at- yahoo -dot- com

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
9,302 Posts
In Tulsa, Sam's Offroad has a reputation for quality work, but I have no personal experience with my FJ there. May check with Istvan (2whitehummers) here. In talks earlier this year, he mentioned a shop doing lifts somewhere on the west side, he was involved in.

I feel like I have two seconds to spare every day, but if you decided to install, I'll offer up manpower. I'd enjoy the experience. Could probably put a call out in south-central.

I'm in Tulsa. Anything I can do, let me know. Pm'ing contact info.

·
Premium Member
9,302 Posts
Just realized we were talking on other thread, too. Ha. If you want to unload the Icon, let me know, though they claim it's 3-4 weeks, or sooner in Group Buy section.

Offer stands if you need any help.

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, I cannot 'help' so it wouldn't be fair heh, and I want to pay someone in case there are issues (too many friend jobs in the past went bad and cost more in the long run), but thanks!

I will check out Sam's Offroad. I hit up 2White a few times but never got any info back. No worries, I just don't want to pester anyone if they never respond.

·
Premium Member
9,302 Posts
Thanks, I cannot 'help' so it wouldn't be fair heh, and I want to pay someone in case there are issues (too many friend jobs in the past went bad and cost more in the long run), but thanks!

I will check out Sam's Offroad. I hit up 2White a few times but never got any info back. No worries, I just don't want to pester anyone if they never respond.
I hear you on the paying issue.
Sam's is a staple in the off road community in all NE Ok. They build a lot of extreme rock crawlers for the Disney fun. Sure they're capable, and have done before on FJ. I have no personal experience with them, short of tugging on a ear at their shop. Nice guys, though. May be worth a trip to Dallas to see Wilson.

Anyhow, any changes, you have my info.

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
If Sam's doesn't work out for some reason you should go with Toyota of Dallas. I can vouch for them...they do excellent work and are very professional.

·
Premium Member
4,294 Posts
So I FINALLY got all the parts in for my Icon Stage 6 Lift. I have a bad shoulder and have been forbidden from lifting anything over 10-15 lbs, furthermore I work alot and am a car idiot to boot.

Am looking for recommendations on lift installers in the OKC or Tulsa area. if not there, what about Dallas, TX or in that area. I can always spend a few days in Dallas for fun.

Thanks for any recommendations!
My guy in Bentonville, AR can do it for you. Bentonville is about 1-1.5 hrs. from Tulsa. He can get it done fast and reasonably priced.

Call Jewell Bohannan at Bohannan's Four Wheel Drive (google for number) He is intimately familiar with the Icon stage six...he did not put mine in (I did); however, he is putting in my new Icon long travel and re-installing my links and track bar on my new Currie. They are not a "pretty boy" shop that just does bolt on. This would be a one bannana job for them. Currently putting an Atlas in my FJC.

Tell him Ryan with the FJC sent you (he will charge you extra if you do:lol:)

·
Premium Member
9,302 Posts
Considering the 25 FJ's I pass (and wave, yet no return wave) a day in Tulsa, I can't believe there isn't a installer for Toyota specific aftermarket lifts, bumpers, etc. I see an opportunity but lack a track record, or the skills, as I'm learning as I do my own.

When opportunity knocks, supposed to open the door. Any advice on how?

·
Premium Member
4,294 Posts
Considering the 25 FJ's I pass (and wave, yet no return wave) a day in Tulsa, I can't believe there isn't a installer for Toyota specific aftermarket lifts, bumpers, etc. I see an opportunity but lack a track record, or the skills, as I'm learning as I do my own.

When opportunity knocks, supposed to open the door. Any advice on how?
I would be happy to help you install it. Just set aside a full day. Also, I believe Fjohrs is settled in Barttlesville and would be willing to help as well. We could probably convince Raggler to chip in also.

Otherwise, Tulsa is not that far away from Bentonville and I bet if you ask nicely, Jewell will knock this out for you on a Saturday (see post above). I can't imagine it would cost more than a few hundred for him to do it for you.

·
Premium Member
9,302 Posts
I would be happy to help you install it. Just set aside a full day. Also, I believe Fjohrs is settled in Barttlesville and would be willing to help as well. We could probably convince Raggler to chip in also.

Otherwise, Tulsa is not that far away from Bentonville and I bet if you ask nicely, Jewell will knock this out for you on a Saturday (see post above). I can't imagine it would cost more than a few hundred for him to do it for you.
I jacked Vixx's thread. I meant, who wants to help open a Toyota specific shop in Tulsa. Sorry for confusion. Sorry, Vixx, for screwing up your thread.

·
Registered
196 Posts
x2 on Sams Offroad! I've only used them to purchase a few very small pieces of recovery gear but they were very friendly and helpful. Also heard great reviews by many others. And a Toyota shop in Tulsa would be sweet! :bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
4,294 Posts
I jacked Vixx's thread. I meant, who wants to help open a Toyota specific shop in Tulsa. Sorry for confusion. Sorry, Vixx, for screwing up your thread.
Why Toyota specific? I like that my guy does all kinds of different offroad vehicles. He can apply learnings from those vehicles to make mine better.

·
Premium Member
9,302 Posts
Why Toyota specific? I like that my guy does all kinds of different offroad vehicles. He can apply learnings from those vehicles to make mine better.
I agree with versatility. Want to clarify original intent of post. I was seeking suggestions, or input on the viability of opening a Toyota specific shop. I see a market opportunity in Tulsa ( NE Oklahoma ) for a shop that doesn't specialize in Jeep, Ford, Chevy aftermarket lifts and accessories, and replies "will do" Toyota, but one that markets to Toyota's, specifically. Sam's Offroad, in Tulsa, is an established, reputable shop, and they are perfectly capable of doing anything, but the product offerings are those that are more specific to domestics, and dont include the vendor offerings found here, that are better suited to Toyota's, as a whole.

Again, my apologies to Vixx for jacking this thread, but it was his original request of "who can install this lift near Tulsa" that prompted the thought of my original question. If there were a shop, familiar with, and capable of saying, "we can" and we do specifically Toyota products, he'd be a prime example of a customer.

All that said, wanted to know if anyone thought a Toyota aftermarket shop would fly in Tulsa, Ok.

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
To revive, I ended up going to Toyota of Dallas. I called a few places in Tulsa and (understandably) each one wanted to see ALL the parts in person before quoting an approximate time and price, and to see what and how everything would go in. While I don't mine people 'learning' on my rig, I won't do two trips to Tulsa with a lot of unknowns when I can blow the same time at a shop that knows both the truck and the kit that is being installed. 1.5 days in Dallas and I'm back with a near perfect system.

Had I been given more accommodations (better labor rates to learn on, etc), even a rough guess on time and cost based on other projects, I might have stayed in-state. Bit I prefer knowns over unknowns.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thinking of getting my wife's Icon stage 1 installed in the near future. If you don't mind me asking, who was your point of contact at Toyota of Dallas?

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
972-852-0105 - Ask for Jordan Robinson, that guy was cool as beans. The price I paid was the same price quoted back in May, so they honored a nearly 4mo old quote. They might be a tad more than the shop around the corner, but talking to him on the phone, he knew EXACTLY what I had, what was needed, and was dead-on with his time estimate (in by 7AM, out by noon the next day for a Stage-6 kit). I would expect a stage 1 to be 1/2 day to a day since there's no piggybacks or arms/UCAs.

They also sell some cool accessories, via TRDParts4U, in the parts shop, so look online for anything of interest. However, note that you may want to order online and tell them you want to pick up locally. The online prices are cheaper, and on one of my purchases, they gave me some fits about giving me the online price at the counter (though I told them I was happy to order online and then pick up at the same counter,to which she said "just go ahead and do it"...*shrug*)

I got my blackout kit (mirrors, grill, and door handles), the Icon shifter knobs (my xFer case knob is all gnarled), and some cool little accessories from the floor.

Toyota of Dallas
2610 Forrest Lane
Dallas, TX 75234

1 - 20 of 21 Posts