Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm starting this thread for the purpose of sharing the process and experience I have dealing with ICON and their warranty process.

History: The application is a 2012 FJC. I purchased the K53065 Stage 5 kit through Total Automotive Performance on 8/25/15. The boxes were received about 9/15/15, and I got around to installing the kit about mid-October. There may be about 5k miles put on the vehicle since installation. I've attended one group off-road event since installing this package; the majority of the time the FJC is either parked at home or used for daily commute. ICON's published warranty is 1 year from date of purchase.

An oil leak was discovered late last week under the passenger-side front suspension. A closer look revealed the strut shaft was wet with oil, indicating most likely the piston shaft seal had failed. I went to ICON's website this morning, completed the online form for a service request and immediately received a service case # by return email.

First of all very disappointing to have a premature failure on such an expensive performance assembly that appears to be well engineered and built. We all understand a system like this is only as good as its weakest component, and in this case the shaft seal appears to be the weak link. I can't imagine a scored piston shaft that may have caused the seal to fail, unless this was damaged during the manufacturer's assembly process.

At any rate I'm optimistic that this failure turns out to be a rare and non-recurring, and once repaired the strut is as good as new. Only time will tell on how my overall experience goes with ICON.

On the ICON website they declare that service/rebuilds are initiated only on Tuesdays. I'm not sure I can get this unit shipped to CA before next Tuesday, so it may be another week before they begin the service work. I'll update this post when its shipped and receipt is acknowledged.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
12,403 Posts
I had a S.A.W. rear fail (seal) around the same elapsed time as your. It is possible that the polypack or wiper were nicked during install.

Sidaebar:

Do you have the coil over covers?

Reactions: Codger

·
Registered
7,380 Posts
Icon is famous for leaks and squeaks.

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/gtsearch.php?cx=partner-pub-7865546952023728%3A1hyu6r1yoac&cof=FORID%3A11&ie=UTF-8&q=icon+leak&sa=Search&siteurl=www.fjcruiserforums.com%2Fforums%2Ficon-vehicle-dynamics%2F539929-icon-strut-leaking-oil.html&ref=www.fjcruiserforums.com%2Findex.php%3Fpage%3Dactive_topics&ss=1466j284714j9

When they work they are great according to everyone that has them.
I have read many many threads about leaking and squeaking though.
I have been on and off the fence for years about buying a set when cash/wife allow.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Damn, @Codger I hate to hear that. I know they will get it fixed but it's still an inconvenience to have to take it out and ship it back. Are you just gonna leave it parked during the repair?

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had a S.A.W. rear fail (seal) around the same elapsed time as your. It is possible that the polypack or wiper were nicked during install.

Sidaebar:

Do you have the coil over covers?
I feel your pain more than ever now. I have no way to examine for myself if there was any damage during factory assembly, but for the initial install on the FJC there's almost no means of damaging the shaft unless something hard is driven between the coils. From what I remember, the install was simple and straightforward; no need for beating, banging, or a cheater bar.

I do not have covers installed, but I'm definitely going to reconsider the covers when reinstalling the repaired strut. Thanks for bringing it up.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Damn, @Codger I hate to hear that. I know they will get it fixed but it's still an inconvenience to have to take it out and ship it back. Are you just gonna leave it parked during the repair?
The freight time each way is almost a week, so yea I'm down for potentially 3 wks. I have no option except to park it unless you know of an extended travel strut I can borrow for a few weeks :wink.

The only bright side is I'm not putting miles on it for a while. This also means I'll be taking the 40 to GSMTR.

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
That's a bummer - I had Icon's on my first FJ and needless to say I bought some 5100's with eibach's and Toytec's adjustable spring seat/top hats for my 2nd FJ.

Even when they last as long as advertised they need a rebuild much too frequently for the cost, and I do remember reading how long the whole process takes, with it happening only once a week and trying to arrange the tear down/shipment to coincide with it.

What are you doing in the meantime Codger? Is your rig on jack stands or do you have a spare setup?

EDIT: ^^nevermind....:smile:

·
Registered
257 Posts
The freight time each way is almost a week, so yea I'm down for potentially 3 wks. I have no option except to park it unless you know of an extended travel strut I can borrow for a few weeks :wink.

The only bright side is I'm not putting miles on it for a while. This also means I'll be taking the 40 to GSMTR.

Well at least you have the 40.

I have a stock strut you can borrow, just need a spacer for the top

Reactions: Codger

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's a bummer - I had Icon's on my first FJ and needless to say I bought some 5100's with eibach's and Toytec's adjustable spring seat/top hats for my 2nd FJ.

Even when they last as long as advertised they need a rebuild much too frequently for the cost, and I do remember reading how long the whole process takes, with it happening only once a week and trying to arrange the tear down/shipment to coincide with it.

What are you doing in the meantime Codger? Is your rig on jack stands or do you have a spare setup?

EDIT: ^^nevermind....:smile:
I would like to think ICON has gotten better over time with their quality and improvements; makes one wonder about any QS systems or ISO certs.

Fair question on what to do short term. I do have the OEM struts, but don't think its practical to swap out both sides, then drive with the nose down and the rear looking like its jacked up! :lol:

·
Registered
590 Posts
In our experience (and weve sold 1000s of ICON kits) leaks and warranty claims are few and far between - Sometimes leaks happen, as with all brands of shocks, but ICON stands behind their product 100%.

Codger, we do appreciate your business and if we can be of any help during this process please let us know.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well at least you have the 40.

I have a stock strut you can borrow, just need a spacer for the top
I pulled the strut this evening, have it boxed and will be shipping tomorrow. I'm going to make good use of the down time and finish the compressor install, the 2nd battery, and a light bar I've had since last fall. Not all's lost.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
In our experience (and weve sold 1000s of ICON kits) leaks and warranty claims are few and far between - Sometimes leaks happen, as with all brands of shocks, but ICON stands behind their product 100%.

Codger, we do appreciate your business and if we can be of any help during this process please let us know.
Hey guys, I appreciate you chiming in and your vote of confidence for ICON's track record. Hopefully the process will be quick and pain free.

·
Registered
467 Posts
ICON treated me very good and even when my warranty was up, 2 yrs after install and got a leak, they fixed it for free and shipped it back for free.

I do have three ICON coilovers now... one as a spare just to get me through the down time of a rebuild.

I also got the covers, since I spend time on very dusty and rocky roads during hunting season, 9 months of the year in FL.

Hope all goes well.

Reactions: LVTAP and Codger

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ICON treated me very good and even when my warranty was up, 2 yrs after install and got a leak, they fixed it for free and shipped it back for free.

I do have three ICON coilovers now... one as a spare just to get me through the down time of a rebuild.

I also got the covers, since I spend time on very dusty and rocky roads during hunting season, 9 months of the year in FL.

Hope all goes well.
Grillfish, thanks for sharing; I expect this experience will go well too. I hadn't considered a spare coilover. It sounds as though you've dealt with seal leaks more than once, and you've been returning one at a time back to ICON.

The use of covers make a lot of sense. I'm going to go this route too.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Here's the update for this posting:

The coilover was shipped last week and received by ICON Monday. They clearly state on their website that all rebuilds must be received by Mondays as they perform all the service work on Tuesdays. I understood the shop basically joins forces to gang up and knock out all the service work in one day.

I did call ICON last week to give them a heads-up that coilover was coming. They confirmed that leaks on new units are rare, and basically said no worries - they would get it serviced Tuesday. There was no question or confirmation needed to support the unit still being covered by warranty. There were two additional takeaways I thought were interesting and worth mentioning. 1) in their experience its better to exercise these units periodically (force the shocks to extend and compress on a regular basis) as opposed to only daily pavement driving. This routine seems to support a healthier coilover. 2) I should expect to get 40-50k miles before any need of service. This is not a warranty but a minimum expected life. I know many owners have many more miles on their ICON's without any need for service.

My experience with the service request has been as expected. ICON received the unit, turned it in two days, and covered the freight back to me. I'm anticipating receiving the unit back early next week. Can't wait to get back out on some trails!

·
Registered
590 Posts
Here's the update for this posting:

The coilover was shipped last week and received by ICON Monday. They clearly state on their website that all rebuilds must be received by Mondays as they perform all the service work on Tuesdays. I understood the shop basically joins forces to gang up and knock out all the service work in one day.

I did call ICON last week to give them a heads-up that coilover was coming. They confirmed that leaks on new units are rare, and basically said no worries - they would get it serviced Tuesday. There was no question or confirmation needed to support the unit still being covered by warranty. There were two additional takeaways I thought were interesting and worth mentioning. 1) in their experience its better to exercise these units periodically (force the shocks to extend and compress on a regular basis) as opposed to only daily pavement driving. This routine seems to support a healthier coilover. 2) I should expect to get 40-50k miles before any need of service. This is not a warranty but a minimum expected life. I know many owners have many more miles on their ICON's without any need for service.

My experience with the service request has been as expected. ICON received the unit, turned it in two days, and covered the freight back to me. I'm anticipating receiving the unit back early next week. Can't wait to get back out on some trails!

Ahh thats great to hear! The team at ICON is one of the best and experiences like yours are why we always suggest their products to our customers. They stand behind what they build!

Happy that you will be back up and running soon. :rocker:

·
Premium Member
7,918 Posts
Nice! I know you didn't go this route, but I think having a spare coilover is not necessarily a good idea. I've heard a lot of people complain after leaving them sit for a while and then they start leaking. There is definitely truth to the fact they need to be cycled every once in a while. Good experience! Glad they've gotten you taken care of thus far. :)

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
You got really lucky! I have two sets of their 2.0 rear shocks in pieces in my shop because their "warranty" was to have the customer pay to have them rebuilt at less than 15K miles. I will say, only after having to go round and round with ICON did ONE spectacular gentleman by the name of Todd McNulty from ICON make things right for these two customers. You are very lucky that this didn't cost you anything out of pocket.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You got really lucky! I have two sets of their 2.0 rear shocks in pieces in my shop because their "warranty" was to have the customer pay to have them rebuilt at less than 15K miles. I will say, only after having to go round and round with ICON did ONE spectacular gentleman by the name of Todd McNulty from ICON make things right for these two customers. You are very lucky that this didn't cost you anything out of pocket.
Yes I do consider myself fortunate that there were no hassles to deal with. I'm not doubting your experience but sure is confusing why such a reputable company would refuse a legitimate warranty rebuild.

In the end businesses live and die on their reputations. In my business when the customer believes he's right we will break the rules to make him happy.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Nice to hear a good experience dealing with ICON. The threads about their "customer service" on this forum that I have seen in the past have caused me to steer clear of them.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts