Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Nice to hear a good experience dealing with ICON. The threads about their "customer service" on this forum that I have seen in the past have caused me to steer clear of them.
@Subverto - thanks for chiming in. Your signature photo is the desktop on my two 23" monitors at work. I see this in stereo every morning and start the day pumped about the upcoming Summit. Thanks for sharing. :clap:

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
@Subverto - thanks for chiming in. Your signature photo is the desktop on my two 23" monitors at work. I see this in stereo every morning and start the day pumped about the upcoming Summit. Thanks for sharing. :clap:
It's currently the desktop background on my work monitor too :rocker:. I'm going to have to take an updated version this year since I've added a bumper.

Reactions: Codger

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Here's the latest update. I received the repaired coilover back from ICON Saturday. FedEx actually required a signature, so I drove to the terminal Sat to pick up the box. It was packed just like a new shipment - in plastic wrap and PU foam to fill the box voids.

I installed it Sat afternoon and readjusted the height setting back to the previous setting (to gain almost 3" of height). In removing the coilover it was necessary to back off the coil spring pressure, and this also aided in the reinstallation efforts. Reinstalled the wheel and headed to a pile of crusher run to exercise the suspension. Man that felt good!

I'm very pleased with how the process went in dealing with ICON and their turnaround. They turned the repair in two days and footed the bill for 2-day return freight. Thanks for a job well done. All's well that ends well.

Attachments

·
Registered
590 Posts
We have seen it more often than not, a lot of "warranty" claims are denied due to abuse. Of course it should not be on ICON to rebuild a shock that was damaged due to poor driving.

That was not the case here, and I am happy although not surprised ICON stepped up to take care of you. Now, back to the trails!

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Yes I do consider myself fortunate that there were no hassles to deal with. I'm not doubting your experience but sure is confusing why such a reputable company would refuse a legitimate warranty rebuild.

In the end businesses live and die on their reputations. In my business when the customer believes he's right we will break the rules to make him happy.
Two separate customers. Both with 2.0 rear shocks leaking with less than 15K miles on them. Neither abused their trucks. They were told at first by the selling dealer that there "was no warranty", then contact with Icon said "it was normal at that mileage". Finally the correct contact was made and they were both told that the 2.0 was never meant to be an offroad or overland shock, and that it was simply a stock replacement. In the end of both deals, Todd at ICON stepped up and made things right, but not without weeks of wrangling, calls, and unnecessary stress on these guys.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Nice to hear a good experience dealing with ICON. The threads about their "customer service" on this forum that I have seen in the past have caused me to steer clear of them.
This is puzzling to me, as all I ever hear in So Cal, and have experienced with my Stage 7 ICON set up(2 years now) and stage 5 before that, is that these are some of the best quality shocks one can obtain. The guys at ICON who I have contacted, I can think of Todd right off, have been the most helpful and knowledgeable guys you will ever find to deal/work with. They remind me of the ARB guys I call from time-to-time up in Washington. Top notch customer service and superior products.

The naysaying about their shocks on this forum is out of balance and lacks perspective. My two cents...and no, I have no stake in ICON nor do I benefit in any way from giving them due accolades.

Mike

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
This is puzzling to me, as all I ever hear in So Cal, and have experienced with my Stage 7 ICON set up(2 years now) and stage 5 before that, is that these are some of the best quality shocks one can obtain. The guys at ICON who I have contacted, I can think of Todd right off, have been the most helpful and knowledgeable guys you will ever find to deal/work with. They remind me of the ARB guys I call from time-to-time up in Washington. Top notch customer service and superior products.

The naysaying about their shocks on this forum is out of balance and lacks perspective. My two cents...and no, I have no stake in ICON nor do I benefit in any way from giving them due accolades.

Mike
Hi Mike, your points are well taken. The reason I started this thread is because the seed had been planted on other threads that ICON may push back on servicing under warranty leaking coilovers. My experience was to either be positive (which I honestly expected) or not so good. In my case they provided 5-star customer service.

There's of course no conspiracy against ICON's reputation, but I also don't doubt that a few folks have had experiences in which they felt ICON dropped the ball. In the end this cliché is very true "Your reputation precedes you".

I'm glad to hear you also have had stellar service from ICON.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Hi Mike, your points are well taken. The reason I started this thread is because the seed had been planted on other threads that ICON may push back on servicing under warranty leaking coilovers. My experience was to either be positive (which I honestly expected) or not so good. In my case they provided 5-star customer service.

There's of course no conspiracy against ICON's reputation, but I also don't doubt that a few folks have had experiences in which they felt ICON dropped the ball. In the end this cliché is very true "Your reputation precedes you".

I'm glad to hear you also have had stellar service from ICON.
Glad it all worked out. ICON Todd was the contact that I worked with and man, did they deliver, even when mine was out of the warranty period. I had the same experience as you.

Reactions: Codger and LVTAP

·
Registered
16 Posts
Here's the latest update. I received the repaired coilover back from ICON Saturday. FedEx actually required a signature, so I drove to the terminal Sat to pick up the box. It was packed just like a new shipment - in plastic wrap and PU foam to fill the box voids.

I installed it Sat afternoon and readjusted the height setting back to the previous setting (to gain almost 3" of height). In removing the coilover it was necessary to back off the coil spring pressure, and this also aided in the reinstallation efforts. Reinstalled the wheel and headed to a pile of crusher run to exercise the suspension. Man that felt good!

I'm very pleased with how the process went in dealing with ICON and their turnaround. They turned the repair in two days and footed the bill for 2-day return freight. Thanks for a job well done. All's well that ends well.
Hey man. How much did it cost you to get it fixed? I have the same exact problem with my passenger side struct. Thanks

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I'm thinking the only cost to me was freight out to CA. They repaired under warranty and returned to my freight prepaid.

It's ironic but I just noticed last week the passenger side front shock is pouring oil again. I won't be able to drive it until rebuilt. Hope your experience goes well.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks for the info Codger. Icon is ironic eh? I called Icon yesterday. They say they can repair one for 150 bucks, replacing the seals and fluid, etc. However, Icon has a list of places that can repair it on their site. I called up the one in Oregon. They say they can fix it for $100 each. One a positive note, we don't have to spend thousands on new suspension. My suspension has about 100k miles on a 400k approx car. Recently rebuilt the engine and I noticed this problem.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Speaking from my experience only. I sent 4 shocks to ICON the last 2 years. The main location in Riverside. I was told each time the units could not be rebuilt and I needed to buy new ones. I have moved on to Kings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
What model King shocks did you install? ICON builds good products, but they cannot claim they are any better than others in the business (King, Fox, etc). I have one 2.5 w/reservoir ready for 2nd rebuild and only 30k miles since last one. This is somewhat disheartening.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Removed both front shocks last night and sent out today to TPM Racing in Tx. who is a service center. Transit time was quicker than CA. from TN. I have approx. 30k miles on these since new; and approx. 5 yrs old. ICON says to service the shocks every 40k and do a major at 80k (or when seals fail, whichever comes first).

·
Registered
16 Posts
Removed both front shocks last night and sent out today to TPM Racing in Tx. who is a service center. Transit time was quicker than CA. from TN. I have approx. 30k miles on these since new; and approx. 5 yrs old. ICON says to service the shocks every 40k and do a major at 80k (or when seals fail, whichever comes first). View attachment 1135800
Thanks for the info and update Codger. I believe our suspension are similar but I don't have the canister like yours. I soon have to remove my shock and send it out for reseal. 30k miles seem low for these to go bad.

Attachments

21 - 35 of 35 Posts