Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Shopping for suspension kit for my '07. Had a stray thought, can't find anything on the web so thought I would try posting to get broader scope.

Anybody ever heard of someone REMOVING an Icon suspension to install another brand? I have seen plenty of people that tried to save some $, went with a less expensive kit but ended up switching TO Icon, but haven't seen anything about anybody removing Icon to go with something else. Other than prior to selling the vehicle that is.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
12,417 Posts
Not ICON but I removed S.A.W. and replaced with KING....within the next year fixin' to ditch the KINGS for ELKA.

Its a vicious rabbit hole

Reactions: Thorn661

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You'll have to let me know how you like the KING's. I crossed KING & FOX off my list--I don't do much washboard or high speed stuff. Their products look amazing and get great reviews, but the sad truth is that I do not spend as much time in the dirt as I would like to, and what I mostly do in the dirt is crawl, so I probably would not utilize the full capabilities of either FOX or KING.

·
Premium Member
12,417 Posts
IMO the move to KING was a mistake. Their on/off road performance was poorer, lasted less than a year before leaking, their cold weather performance is poor but they sure do look pretty.
IMO if you are living in a cold climate where a mix of sand/magchloride/beet juice/gravel etc your best option would be BP-51, Elka or an OEM style - OME or Bilstein.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I fit the category. I was running ICON non-reservoirs in the front. After roughly 6 months I ditched them for Bilstien 6112's.

·
Premium Member
887 Posts
I removed Metal Tech ICON long travel rear, and installed KINGS. Rear only. Still have ICON in the front.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I removed Metal Tech ICON long travel rear, and installed KINGS. Rear only. Still have ICON in the front.
So it was just the ICON kit bought through Metal Tech, or did Metal Tech modify the ICON kit? I know several places sell ICON kits, some add to it, some don't. I am going to get the Demello Offroad Evil eye bumper and leaning towards ICON stage 2 with the Tube UCA's. All the good stuff is $$$, but I try to live by the "buy once, cry once" motto.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
IMO the move to KING was a mistake. Their on/off road performance was poorer, lasted less than a year before leaking, their cold weather performance is poor but they sure do look pretty.
IMO if you are living in a cold climate where a mix of sand/magchloride/beet juice/gravel etc your best option would be BP-51, Elka or an OEM style - OME or Bilstein.
Luckily I don't have to deal with any of those criteria. I'm in Northern California, so it's warm & dry. Don't do the beach so the only sand is what they use on most of the roads in CA mountains during the winter-if I choose to venture to those areas.

Appreciate the input. Kepp us updated when/if you switch to the ELKA's, I'm curious how they compare...

·
Registered
353 Posts
Snapperz,
I don't do recreational off-roading any more. Having said that, I live in Asia with a monsoon season that can sometimes wash out roads so I always drive a lifted 4x4 vehicle. The Icon's performed as they were intended to in rough terrain but I was not happy with the on-road ride quality. The Bilstein 6112's are closer to my comfort and handling requirements. If I had to do it over again I believe I would go with Fox 2.5's and have them properly valved to meet my needs. As you said, you have to spend coin for quality.

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
You'll have to let me know how you like the KING's. I crossed KING & FOX off my list--I don't do much washboard or high speed stuff. Their products look amazing and get great reviews, but the sad truth is that I do not spend as much time in the dirt as I would like to, and what I mostly do in the dirt is crawl, so I probably would not utilize the full capabilities of either FOX or KING.
I have Kings with resis on all four corners. I like them. I`ve had them for about 9 years now. I got them rebuilt about 2 years ago but I got 7 years and 80,000 miles out of them first go around. I offroad a lot and they have lasted. They did cost me almost $800 to get them rebuilt. I hope they last another 80,000 miles :)

·
Premium Member
887 Posts
Metal tech had ICON design shocks, and dual rated coil springs for a long travel kit. Gives you a lot of down travel, but you lose some up travel. I put 40K miles on the ICONS. After 6 trips to Moab, I find overlanding is more fun with the KINGs.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Icon is garbage. I put their stage 2 kit on about 2 years ago, including the covers to protect them. Less than 25k miles since install and no off-roading beyond a rough fire road and one of the fronts is already leaking. Not happy.

·
fka BLACK HAWK
2,395 Posts
lol.. too funny and Outstanding choice!!! Wiseman once said, "If you want to win, Win with the KING!"~NyNomad

Fox2.5's are also popular upgrades over iconned you out of money.

Reactions: Snapperz

·
Premium Member
846 Posts
I ran ICON non-resi fronts with vs rears for 85K miles. The coilovers were great, just would fade on long hard runs. The VS rears failed twice, too small, it is all about volume and valving.

Switched to Kings with resis and clickers front and rear 18 months ago and they are great, no issues, no fading, no leaking, hope I get 85k before a rebuild.

I did not switch based on poor performance, the ICONs worked better on-road than Kings, Kings more plush on the beginning of travel better for rough roads and longer hauls. I primarily switched for resis and just wanted to have more experience with another brand, because it's fun.

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
Most of the aftermarket shocks can be built to your specification. That's what makes them money. If you can't order things specifically if necessary (such as valve spec, anodize color, and accessories), then find a new retail vendor. The performance will be similar all across the board if they are 1) accessorized with equal components and 2) valved to preference. Happy hunting for that right setup

·
Premium Member
846 Posts
Yep, ordered with stiffer, 650lbs springs to get my ride height within decent collar range, Icons were on the adjustment limit with default springs. Be ready to adjust things, and critical of limitations.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just put the Ironman Foamcell Pro stage 2 kit on my 2008 FJ. I love it!!! I get out into the mountains here in Colorado as much as I can and it has been amazing. Way better than the OME I had before

1 - 18 of 18 Posts