Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Shopping for suspension kit for my '07. Had a stray thought, can't find anything on the web so thought I would try posting to get broader scope.

Anybody ever heard of someone REMOVING an Icon suspension to install another brand? I have seen plenty of people that tried to save some $, went with a less expensive kit but ended up switching TO Icon, but haven't seen anything about anybody removing Icon to go with something else. Other than prior to selling the vehicle that is.

Thanks

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You'll have to let me know how you like the KING's. I crossed KING & FOX off my list--I don't do much washboard or high speed stuff. Their products look amazing and get great reviews, but the sad truth is that I do not spend as much time in the dirt as I would like to, and what I mostly do in the dirt is crawl, so I probably would not utilize the full capabilities of either FOX or KING.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I removed Metal Tech ICON long travel rear, and installed KINGS. Rear only. Still have ICON in the front.
So it was just the ICON kit bought through Metal Tech, or did Metal Tech modify the ICON kit? I know several places sell ICON kits, some add to it, some don't. I am going to get the Demello Offroad Evil eye bumper and leaning towards ICON stage 2 with the Tube UCA's. All the good stuff is $$$, but I try to live by the "buy once, cry once" motto.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
IMO the move to KING was a mistake. Their on/off road performance was poorer, lasted less than a year before leaking, their cold weather performance is poor but they sure do look pretty.
IMO if you are living in a cold climate where a mix of sand/magchloride/beet juice/gravel etc your best option would be BP-51, Elka or an OEM style - OME or Bilstein.
Luckily I don't have to deal with any of those criteria. I'm in Northern California, so it's warm & dry. Don't do the beach so the only sand is what they use on most of the roads in CA mountains during the winter-if I choose to venture to those areas.

Appreciate the input. Kepp us updated when/if you switch to the ELKA's, I'm curious how they compare...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.