Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title says.

How often do these screws need to be tightened, and would it be advisable to use Blue (or maybe Red) Loc - Tite on them?

·
Registered
427 Posts
What type/size bolt is that. The instructions call it a pinch bolt. Looks like a reverse triple star.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using AutoGuide App

·
Premium Member
9,302 Posts
I'll find the torque specs TCao provided, but a few weeks after installing mine, found one of the pinch bolts laying in the driveway.

Since, I've been checking weekly, and haven't had to tighten, but I don't think Loktite would be a good idea. They're merely "pinching" the threaded aluminum to the rod end, and it may have been an issue if not tightening properly, during installation, I can't confirm. Either way, they don't appear to have a structural value, nor are the torque specifications obscene.

I know Icon doesn't suggest Loktite.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I just pit my suspension armor on so I figured I'd test fit these. I have the rear axle on stands. If i put the frame on stands I think the brake rotors will hit the ground. Instructions are a bit vague, and im worried about getting the the same length vs. Both longer or shorter and the only way to do that is run the bolt through the oem and icon while its off the vehicle. Ill ponder on that while i run out insearch for a 12pt socket.

·
Premium Member
9,302 Posts
I just pit my suspension armor on so I figured I'd test fit these. I have the rear axle on stands. If i put the frame on stands I think the brake rotors will hit the ground. Instructions are a bit vague, and im worried about getting the the same length vs. Both longer or shorter and the only way to do that is run the bolt through the oem and icon while its off the vehicle. Ill ponder on that while i run out insearch for a 12pt socket.

If you remove one at a time, match to OEM, and replace, could do lower without jacks. I did the last time while it was sitting on the wheels.

Note: Don't be surprised if after removing a link that the axle moves. I corrected two ways when it occurred.

First, was using the Icon adjustment nut to pull forward to a predetermined measurement. Worked, but sucked.

Second time, I took TCaos advice and ratchet strapped the axle forward. Much easier.

Also, I'd tighten the assembly (note the torque specifications on the pinch bolts, and please post up here. Its just Al, so heed) ensuring the rod ends are in the correct position.

Once installed, adjust and ensure that they are oriented correctly, perfectly true to misalignment spacers.

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
I purchased the lower's from Icon and mine did not come with those pinch bolts. I haven't had any issues so far. I guess I need to reach out to them and see what the deal is.

·
Premium Member
9,302 Posts
I purchased the lower's from Icon and mine did not come with those pinch bolts. I haven't had any issues so far. I guess I need to reach out to them and see what the deal is.

If you do, please report back their reply.

I honestly can't see the joint coming out, but I could see the potential for it to move. Considering the material, might pose an issue, but can't say for sure.

I've put a lot of force into pulling the axle forward by the adjustable joint, and it moved fine, so doubt it's a big deal not to have. If you do have, and want to keep then, worth checking periodically.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Ratchet straps ftw.

Attachments

·
Registered
427 Posts
Sorry. I have a teenager and stole the lingo. For the win.
Basically it worked perfect.
What's "ftw"?

·
Premium Member
9,302 Posts
Sorry. I have a teenager and stole the lingo. For the win.
Basically it worked perfect.

Ok. I didn't know if you were cussing me for suggesting, or what. Ha.

I'm old school.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Thanks for the help on this. I noticed I'll have go remove my armor to grease these.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,302 Posts
Thanks for the help on this. I noticed I'll have go remove my armor to grease these.

I'll be honest, I didn't see much need for the rear lower link armor, and in time you may agree and remove. My opinion, which doesn't count

Could possibly drill a hole through to access. I'd have to be looking at mine to determine possibility.

The front OSA armor will become a permanent fixture on mine next week. Clean the frame and weld it on.

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
If you do, please report back their reply.

I honestly can't see the joint coming out, but I could see the potential for it to move. Considering the material, might pose an issue, but can't say for sure.

I've put a lot of force into pulling the axle forward by the adjustable joint, and it moved fine, so doubt it's a big deal not to have. If you do have, and want to keep then, worth checking periodically.
I certainly will. They have survived quite a few runs already and taken some direct hits. They still appear to be just fine. I have an email in with Jeremy over at Icon asking about it. I'll probably have an answer Monday or Tuesday.

·
Premium Member
9,302 Posts
I certainly will. They have survived quite a few runs already and taken some direct hits. They still appear to be just fine. I have an email in with Jeremy over at Icon asking about it. I'll probably have an answer Monday or Tuesday.

If you've not had the opportunity to call Icon, it may be a good one.

I've spoke with Jeremy some time ago, and Brian(new addition?) very recently and I've been impressed with the diligence they show, ensuring my questions are answered to the nth degree.

For what it's worth.

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
If you've not had the opportunity to call Icon, it may be a good one.

I've spoke with Jeremy some time ago, and Brian(new addition?) very recently and I've been impressed with the diligence they show, ensuring my questions are answered to the nth degree.

For what it's worth.
I might do that. And for someone like you to compliment the info they can provide and their diligence in doing so is a huge compliment. I know you like to get to the granular level on things as much as you can. :cheers:

I know Jeremy because when I did my lift one of my rear shocks broke before hitting the trail the next day. I ran Red Cone and Radical Hill up here in colorado with only one shock in the back. I'm really surprised I didn't lose a spring on that side that day. Anyway, Jeremy at Icon took care of my right away. I had a trail run set up for next weekend and my brother coming in from Tulsa for some trail runs and had to get the rig back up. They were excellent about everything and priority shipped a replacement out to me that week.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Anyone have an issue with the break stay tab not fitting. It seems the hole is to small for it to fit in and in the wrong spot. I just tq'd it down flat.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts