Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, really dumb question (maybe).

I have Donaho Coil overs and Total Chaos UCAs.

At the summit, I won a set of ICON coil overs and ICON UCAs.

Is there a difference in the coil overs, or are they identical, just a different badging.

The reason, is that I will be swapping out my TC UCAs for the ICONs, but want to know if there is any reason to do the same with the coil overs.

I'm going to sell the TC UCAs and either a used pair of coil overs, or a pair of new in box ICON coil overs.

If there's a difference, and the ICONs are superior, then I'm keeping them and selling the Donahoes.

Thoughts, opinions?

thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
2,888 Posts
Ok, really dumb question (maybe).

I have Donaho Coil overs and Total Chaos UCAs.

At the summit, I won a set of ICON coil overs and ICON UCAs.

Is there a difference in the coil overs, or are they identical, just a different badging.

The reason, is that I will be swapping out my TC UCAs for the ICONs, but want to know if there is any reason to do the same with the coil overs.

I'm going to sell the TC UCAs and either a used pair of coil overs, or a pair of new in box ICON coil overs.

If there's a difference, and the ICONs are superior, then I'm keeping them and selling the Donahoes.

Thoughts, opinions?

thanks in advance.
The Donahoe and Icon coilovers are the same. If you have a lot of miles on the DOs, you might just want to put the new Icons on anyway to start off fresh. The Icon UCAs will allow for more adjustment than other types, have no urethane bushings to squeak or wear out, and they look like works of art-
congratulations on your winnings !!!!

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
the icons are terrible. keep the donahoes, and i might just be convinced to take those icons off your hand as a favor. you'll owe me one, but i won't hold you to it.

·
Premium Member
2,888 Posts
the icons are terrible. keep the donahoes, and i might just be convinced to take those icons off your hand as a favor. you'll owe me one, but i won't hold you to it.
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

...oh, that was classic !!! :cheers:

·
Premium Member
2,663 Posts
Wow that was a $2k score. I have the Donahoe Coilovers and UCA's and really didn't have a single gripe with them. The only thing that takes some time is the Uniballs in the UCA's getting broken in. In the beginning they're tight as hell and your steering is sticky. If you don't wheel it will take some time to free them up.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Put the Icons on and have the DOs rebuilt so you have a spare set when the ICONs need to be rebuilt.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Stupid question; Why get a set of UCA's? How hard are they to install?
Aftermarket UCAs can help with alignment problems associated with a lift. They can also allow for a bit more downtravel to help keep the rubber on the ground during articulation. On a stock UCA the balljoint can be under more stress since the lift will angle it out more which can lead to breakage offroading in extreme cases. The uniball that is used in aftermarket UCAs is able to handle the stress since it's not as limited in range of motion like the stock part.

·
Premium Member
8,285 Posts
Put the Icons on and have the DOs rebuilt so you have a spare set when the ICONs need to be rebuilt.
Best answer yet!

thats a great prize to win.
I was thinking the same thing. I love my Donahoe coilovers but do need the UCA's now too. Congratulations on a great win Aslan.

·
Premium Member
3,571 Posts
You need to find out if the set you won is the extedned version or not. I spent some time talking to Dylan about this at the summit and they now make two versions. One set is for the regular stock uca's and one is an extended version for aftermarket uca's. The extended ones allow for more travel and the regular version is designed to not over extended the stock uca's. I am interested in purchasing either set if you are wanting to sell them. The cost is the same on either set so I am guessing that since they came with the Icon uca's they donated the extended version.

·
Premium Member
2,793 Posts
I know for a fact they donated the extended versions to you. You can get them to change old standard donahoe's to the extended versions though. So it is up to you. You'll get a higher resale from the Icon's, but truth be told, if you send the old donahoes in to get switched to the extended version, you'll have a pretty high resale on those too.

I don't think you can go wrong either way. But definitely benefit from the extended travel.

·
Premium Member
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I know I hit my head a couple of times on the trails with the head crusher, er, overhead grab handle, but...
:rofl:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts