Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have the RC 3" lift and am thinking of upgrading to Icon because of the group buy. My question is: is it worth the $200 to change out my rear RC shocks to the Icon monotube shocks?

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
I don't think you'll notice that much of a difference just upgrading your rear shocks. The RC kit is a pretty inexpensive lift, I wouldn't waste money trying to put lipstick on a pig. (I had a RC 3" at first too)

If you plan on doing ICON all the way around, I'd say buy the shocks and just store them somewhere til you have the funds to do the rest.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ahh whoops, I wasn't very clear in my first post:

I am doing the Icon coilovers in the front. My question is whether doing the rear shocks too is worth the extra $200? I'm in college, so the extra $200 is a chunk of change. But if the Icon's up front and RC rear won't ride well together I can splurge for the extra $200. (I'm leaving the rear coils alone either way, as I can't see any potential difference between the Icon and RC coils.)

·
Registered
315 Posts
I'm running the Icons up front and OMEs in the rear with TT coils. Want to upgrade myself to the piggybacks. If you arent putting the piggys on, then probably not worth it.

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
Ahh, I see... yeah, that makes more sense. I don't think you'd see much of a difference at all with the rear shocks.

However, if your super anal-retentive like me you'll end up getting the ICON rears anyway, probably after the GB is over, and spending more money than you would have buying them up front, because the thought of unmatched parts drives you insane.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm running the Icons up front and OMEs in the rear with TT coils. Want to upgrade myself to the piggybacks. If you arent putting the piggys on, then probably not worth it.
Wow that's all kinds of different parts. I definitely can't afford the piggybacks, way too rich for my blood.

Ahh, I see... yeah, that makes more sense. I don't think you'd see much of a difference at all with the rear shocks.

However, if your super anal-retentive like me you'll end up getting the ICON rears anyway, probably after the GB is over, and spending more money than you would have buying them up front, because the thought of unmatched parts drives you insane.
Haha a very real possibility :lol:

best thing about em is they are lifetime warrantied.
Yeah I already had both my RC rear shocks blow out, and they did so at the same time. No idea what caused it, but luckily they replaced them b/c I was still within the first year. I'm afraid they'll blow again soon and then I'll have to replace them. At the same time, most people run the shocks for years without issue, and in another 2 years I could afford to upgrade to the Icons.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Defiantly swap out for the icon shocks. I went through three sets of RC rear shocks before I switched to icons.

I'm not Rc's biggest fan but my advice is get it off your FJ as fast a possible my front spacers were removed by the boys at metal tech in the end because the RC studs didn't hold up. RC's customer support did nothing for me. It cost me more to have them removed than they cost in the first place..oh the irony.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Defiantly swap out for the icon shocks. I went through three sets of RC rear shocks before I switched to icons.
Hmm, I've already gone through one and luckily got them replaced under warranty, but I know they won't do it again. Already ordered the front coil-overs, and for $180 it's hard not to do the rear shocks too...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts