Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1201 - 1220 of 1666 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,202
BTW I finally got my deposit back from Diamond on the axle that was never built. Funny thing is, ECGS has almost built the new axle before I even got the check back from Diamond. THATS how slow they are. :lol:
@DubstepPear in a few weeks we are looking to go to Tuttle to break in Mason's new lockers and 60. I'll let you know once he is done breaking in the gears first!

·
Registered
194 Posts
Sorry for the slow reply, been gone fishing for a few days. I haven't asked for an update since I first placed the order but it should be near the end of this month.

View attachment 1089766
You mean you were out living rather than at your computer eagerly replying to my post? Shame on you.. :wink

·
Premium Member
7,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,206
I started an Instagram account. The forum is where my heart lies so don't think I'll be dishing out any less content here. Years ago I never understood it but I think Instagram can be a useful sidekick to a build thread.

https://www.instagram.com/iconicfj_/

:blueblob:

·
トヨタ Master
7,978 Posts
I started an Instagram account. The forum is where my heart lies so don't think I'll be dishing out any less content here. Years ago I never understood it but I think Instagram can be a useful sidekick to a build thread.

https://www.instagram.com/iconicfj_/

:blueblob:
How gnarly did you cut your bmc to fit 37s with wheel spacers? I could probably read your build thread since I'm 'scribed to it. :rolleyes: :lol:

·
Premium Member
7,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,209
How gnarly did you cut your bmc to fit 37s with wheel spacers? I could probably read your build thread since I'm 'scribed to it. :rolleyes: :lol:
I haven't talked about it much. Mostly 'cause I'm just a poser right now. The biggest issue for me is the plastic fender flares. You can see where I self clearanced the driver side the other day. I'm going back to 34's this week for a little weekend wheeling but have been DD'ing on 37's without issues for a few weeks now. Just planning out my turns. I can only go about 80-90% each way without rubbing at parking lot speeds. Any unexpected bumps while turning (think 1/3 curb height) kills the plastic flares. I know I should just remove them but have been waiting for the Marlin RCLT kit which pushes the tire forward a few inches away from the firewall and then I know I can fit them easily. If RCLT doesn't pan out for some reason I would consider putting 35's on.

Without front long travel I think its somewhat do-able but it takes some work and wouldn't be for everybody as it still has some compromises. I still don't think you can go wrong with "just 35's" and a whole lot of suspension travel (MT rear LT), removed/disconnected front sway bar. Something like what Deb has. It just works.

My other notes can be found on post 1079:

Street driving is actually not that bad right now if I go slow. I have actually rubbed the rear tire mudflap area when I turn going too fast tho. :D I'll leave them on until this weekend. If I was serious about keeping the tires on my current setup I'd have to cut the body mount back a little further, put sway bars back on, go a full 3" lift front and rear and remove front and rear fender plastics and mudflaps, and improve my alignment. Maybe put on 1.5" wheel spacers instead of 1.25" and still it would rub the firewall will stuffing and turning.
Full lock:
20190826_200931.jpg

Wheel straight:
20190826_200855.jpg

·
トヨタ Master
7,978 Posts
It seems like you'd rub less without the spacers.

Reactions: Iconic_

·
トヨタ Master
7,978 Posts
'Cept the frame. Hmm...

·
Premium Member
7,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,212
Good to be back home at Kansas ORV park, Tuttle! With the 4runner finally triple locked, a huge difference over have no lockers. But not a complete game changer from the the rest of us with open fronts either.

Started off shiney.
20190901_105552.jpg

Part of the park was flooded as expected. So I had to get creative with navigation.
20190901_115232.jpg

20190901_122001.jpg

20190901_125303.jpg

I probably tried 10 times to get up this and started to go around. Mason in the 4runner ended up crawling right up behind me. My tires are getting bald but we're still not sure how he made it so easy. I turned around and gave it another go even floored it with some momentum. Nope. I actually used my Tred Pro's for the first time in about 5 years of having them on my roof rack and ended up making it up. Am I a legit overlander finally?
20190901_133832.jpg

20190901_134156.jpg

20190901_140328.jpg

20190901_135711_HDR.jpg

20190901_140918.jpg

20190901_142502.jpg

All went well. I tried to kill my driver side mirror but after some creative rock stacking I made it out.

BTW guess what's due to ship by the end of next week? ECGS D60, 4.88 gears and lockers! :blueblob:

·
Premium Member
2,161 Posts
Good to see Bumblebee up and moving . You have about 308 days . to be ready

·
Premium Member
7,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,214
Good to see Bumblebee up and moving . You have about 308 days . to be ready
They're still having some issues at the moment. No A-trac with lights on the dash. He's thinking bad wheel speed sensor. At least the locker works now!

Can't wait to get my rear end dialed in. Crossing my fingers everything works out. Mason has me thinking I should have stepped up and went with rear coilovers but we'll see what I can whip up with some 14" King smoothies.

·
Premium Member
2,161 Posts
Tell them to just get a locker for the front . COs are cool and i really thought hard about getting them BUT what i learned this summer is that my FJ works really well with the MT long travel . The only thing that has held me back is the approach angles and i have a fix in the works for that . I have 1 more trip in 2 weeks MCR and then i will start phase 3

·
Premium Member
7,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,216
Tell them to just get a locker for the front . COs are cool and i really thought hard about getting them BUT what i learned this summer is that my FJ works really well with the MT long travel . The only thing that has held me back is the approach angles and i have a fix in the works for that . I have 1 more trip in 2 weeks MCR and then i will start phase 3
For sure the MT long travel is a great kit, especially on 35's. I would recommend the MT setup to most people. I also like to try new things as you guys know so I'm really excited. Its sad I was just looking back at old pics and its taken about 2 years in planning to get my FJ build moving again in this direction. And my shocks have been in the basement for a year and a half...

A few pics of me taking in measurements at one of my favorite spots over 2 years ago:
20170814_175825.jpg
20170624_110229.jpg

I'll be back there in the near future...

·
Premium Member
7,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,217
Oil change! Transmission oil swap! Skid removal! Preparation for you know what..... BTW still loving my skids!

20190904_170135.jpg

So a big bad jeep in front of me on the trail backed out of a path. Naturally I went in after him and in front of his buddies. It was a narrow creek section with one rock poking out on the passenger side. Apparently it bent back my plastic fender flare all the way to the body (see the mark on the other plastic trim?) and of course went along my slider. Still worth it.

20190904_162842.jpg

I know one of you is gonna try and talk me into removing these plastic parts. >:D

·
Premium Member
7,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,219
Speaking of nature, I realized the FJ is very eco friendly. While changing oil its inevitable some puddles up on the ground right? Solution: use the dirt that comes off the skid plates and sweep it over the oil to collect it, then throw it in the trash. Ahhhh the circle of life.

1201 - 1220 of 1666 Posts