Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1241 - 1260 of 1442 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,615 Posts
Have you checked with your old axle that the mounting distances are the same ?

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,242
Ok it just took some ummmph and I was able to squeeze it back to center. The rear calipers were making some noise somehow against the rotors but I think I "unstuck" them. Just installed new TRD pads also. Not parking brakes, I have them completely torn out still and the cables zip tied to the top of the sliders lol.

Front brake dust shield was rubbing on the rotors, fixed that too. All is quiet again.

ECGS is overnighting me the new longer passenger side brake line and shock mount bushings. Handling right now is terrible since the shocks are loosey goosey on the lower mounts. I didn't ask them to send me a new line and was planning to go to the local autoparts store and cross my fingers they have one in a length close enough but much appreciated from them.

I've asked the mod gods for a much needed break of wrenching as my body is telling me no more but they said a few more days... I'm getting too old for this.... :rolleyes:

Diff breather installed yesterday:
20190916_161534.jpg

Still so much left to do, shoulda left it stock.....

·
Premium Member
874 Posts
"I'm getting too old for this...."

GIVE ME A BREAK!

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,245
Bought and installed a shorter 9/16" bolt today for the panhard bar. I used alot of grade 8's. Then installed the lower shock mount bushings ECGS overnighted me. The ride has improved. Initial notes are a slightly stiffer ride and less body roll from the MT LT springs and leveled panhard, the rear end has been lifted quite a bit more and the new stance provides even less visibility out the back. The 4.88's are noticeable and the torque take some getting used to from a dead stop. It'll jump pretty good when going from reverse directly to drive. Besides that I haven't even gotten it past 50 mph yet.

The rubber spring isolators are squeezing almost all the way out from under the springs, passenger brake line needs to be replaced with the longer one, upper link mounts need to be ground down and zerks inserted into the upper links. Then airlockers hooked up. Then I start thinking about straps, bumps, and King shocks after cycling it.

20190917_165748.jpg

20190917_165757.jpg

·
Premium Member
10,853 Posts
Bought and installed a shorter 9/16" bolt today for the panhard bar. I used alot of grade 8's. Then installed the lower shock mount bushings ECGS overnighted me. The ride has improved. Initial notes are a slightly stiffer ride and less body roll from the MT LT springs and leveled panhard, the rear end has been lifted quite a bit more and the new stance provides even less visibility out the back. The 4.88's are noticeable and the torque take some getting used to from a dead stop. It'll jump pretty good when going from reverse directly to drive. Besides that I haven't even gotten it past 50 mph yet.

The rubber spring isolators are squeezing almost all the way out from under the springs, passenger brake line needs to be replaced with the longer one, upper link mounts need to be ground down and zerks inserted into the upper links. Then airlockers hooked up. Then I start thinking about straps, bumps, and King shocks after cycling it.

View attachment 1093376

View attachment 1093378
Shaking head.....Butt fugly.... for an old man ..... I should have picked it up ...quicker..... but being an old man, I can't move that fast.... :rofl:
( nor can Lee ) .... hahahahahaha

So when you going 40's ..or 42's ?.....

Cheers
Baz
old:blueblob:

·
Premium Member
1,615 Posts
The rear springs should settle a little You went with the HD ones correct? I was looking at some stuff today . and it may work for what i think you are trying to do . Look up BAMF tacoma shock relocation mounts

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,248
Shaking head.....Butt fugly.... for an old man ..... I should have picked it up ...quicker..... but being an old man, I can't move that fast.... :rofl:
( nor can Lee ) .... hahahahahaha

So when you going 40's ..or 42's ?.....

Cheers
Baz
old:blueblob:
I ain't goin any bigger than 37's and nobody can convince me otherwise! :rofl:

The rear springs should settle a little You went with the HD ones correct? I was looking at some stuff today . and it may work for what i think you are trying to do . Look up BAMF tacoma shock relocation mounts
Yeah the HD's. I'm ok with the ride height increase, if I get the Marlin kit I will jack the front up a little higher also.

I looked at those but feel like the angle is wrong for our FJ's. The Tacoma bed goes directly vertical and has a ton of room. FJ's also don't have room to weld on the top of the frame quite as easily. Plus I think they only work with 2.0" shocks which are fine but not what I ended up with. I bought some tubing for $30 and just need to ask Larry to help me bend it one of these days.

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,249
I need a vehicle lift. Hopefully that happens in a few more years and comes complete with a fully equipped garage, welder, tube bender, LED lighting, 10+ acres..........

Hey I can dream!!!! For now, driveway wrenching at its finest.

Also, does anyone want to buy a complete e-locker axle assembly? :browsmiley:

48752007281_c5a6a36f03_o.jpg

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,252
Drove about 100 miles last night, and a little this morning. Mostly dirt roads and highways at 60 mph. Instant 4.88 power takes some getting used to. Overall still happy with everything, still need to swap out the short brake line.

I found this ditch, how could I not drive in it? I'm still completely open and 2WD with front driveshaft out.
20190921_091555.jpg

So much room for activities!
20190921_091607.jpg

Bingo. Might be cutting it close with different backspacing and bigger tires though. But will be worth it to not rub the hoops. And I can play with bumpstop spacers and straps to limit the axle angles.

20190921_092032.jpg

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,254
Got the brake hardline swapped out. New one is 48" and just long enough. Then I cleaned up the ABS wires, stock length wires are just barely long enough for the wide axle. And installed and greased front driveshaft. I'm unable to reach the rear driveshaft zerk, the one on the new U joint for the D60. No matter which way I turn it there is not enough clearance to get a grease gun in there. I even have 2 tips for the gun and neither work. Kinda frustrating. Disconnecting the rear of the driveshaft is not much of an option either because there are just U bolts around the U joint caps and I want to mess with those as little as possible to avoid jacking up the needle bearings. Drooping the axle may possibly get me the needed angle to reach it.

The 4.88's want to drive thru the brakes in low range. You definitely have to push the brakes harder to stop.

I'm debating getting the 37's to fit for my trip to Kansas Rocks creepy crawl in about a month. I could just pull all of the plastic and see what happens. I never really try anything too difficult at KRRP. I just have a hard time finding the middle of the road difficulty for the FJC at that park.

Need to hook up lockers first. :blueblob: And still need to clearance the upper link brackets for zerks.

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,255
One more thing, I've taken everything off my roof rack to fit in my garage due to the additional lift in the rear. But the upside is, I'll be on 37's so I'm over it. :rofl:

Also my headlights are practically aimed at the ground due to the new stance so there's that. I've adjusted them before.

·
Premium Member
10,853 Posts
I'm debating getting the 37's to fit for my trip to Kansas Rocks creepy crawl in about a month. I could just pull all of the plastic and see what happens. I never really try anything too difficult at KRRP. I just have a hard time finding the middle of the road difficulty for the FJC at that park.

Need to hook up lockers first. :blueblob: And still need to clearance the upper link brackets for zerks.
Only 37's ?..... sheeez.... live on the edge Mate !!!!
You can fit at least a 39 in there.... trust me !!!!!
:rofl::rofl:

Cheers
Baz
:blueblob:

·
Premium Member
1,615 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,259
Nah I'm too scared to tub the firewall. Guys have caught their trucks on fire doing that. And you still have to seam seal it afterwards. Just a big PITA. At least 3 places already make the relocate brackets.

https://www.alpinedesignsoffroad.com/product/2005-2015-toyota-tacoma-front-cab-mount-relocation-kit

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/body-mount-relocate-kit-redgoatfab-haws.362489/

I guess I understand if ya'll wanna give me your money ;) but I wouldn't count on me making them soon and I doubt I will put them on my own FJ so I won't exactly be able to test-fit. Plus I still need to make metal bumper corners for those of us running the Iconic HC rear bumper. :king:

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
5,761 Posts
Interesting...so how did this mod cause fires? Looks pretty innocuous. Maybe just as well - if I did this I’d be more tempted to run 37s :scared:

1241 - 1260 of 1442 Posts