Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1401 - 1420 of 1438 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,404
2nd Annual Fall Camping Trip

I thought I had run out of fair weather weekends but we got at least one more. I didn't have to work on the FJ so I decided to go through with it and spend it on my Grandpa's land. I couldn't peel Mason away from working on another exhuast system for his 4runner so I went by myself - something I'm not used to doing as a twin.

The next log that needs "taken care of".

My wide butt, somehow doesn't look ridiculous although I'd still like to figure out how to remove the wheel spacers.

My good side.

My other good side.

Some "pew pews" must be accomplished.

One of the best burritos known to man, and some of Kentucky's cheapest. Strong black cherry vibes from this one.

Camp lyfe is tuffffffffff.....

So that night from about 6-8 pm I was visited by many creatures. Actually 2 clueless deer got too close for comfort and didn't seem afraid of me? Eventually I stomped around in the leaves and they meandered off. Then I heard some more rustling in the leaves and saw 4 sets of eyes on me reflecting back with my flashlight. One was about 10ft up a tree. Most likely opossums and racoons. I wanted to be one with nature, but I didn't want to be trampled by it. Sheesh. So I slept in the cabin on the property instead of my tent. The end!

·
Premium Member
7,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,406
Meanwhile this is what the mad scientist has accomplished for the 4runner. A dual system with an X pipe. Sounds GREAT. Closer to a corvette or camaro now. Currently its dumped right after the mufflers but his plan is to run the tailpipes thru the side of his bumper. Doug Thorley headers should be here for the 4runner before Christmas also.

·
Premium Member
7,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,409
Major update. Just kidding. So I did not like my setup with the frontrunner wolfpack during my last trip out west, having latches on both sides is a major problem for the way I want to use it. I almost broke down and bought a pelican case the other day but decided to try and make the frontrunner work. I drilled holes thru one side and used zip ties to make a hinge. Then I screwed it down to the top of my storage drawer. Now I think I will be happy with it.
20191124_121728.jpg

One of the next mods I want to do is a homemade dead pedal. My orangeboxx fab dead pedal is not working out. Going up extreme obstacles it's fallen out a few times. Currently I've been driving without one.

·
Premium Member
7,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,410
So my dad bought something with 40's today. A CJ8! I was hoping he'd get one just like this. An actual rock crawler build instead of a show truck. I think he'll be really happy with it. 14 bolt rear, low pinion 60 front, crate 350, dana 300 w/ extra low gears, full tig'd cage, hydro assist.

He wants to get a soft top for it, mason to make the exhaust loud instead of emissions compliant (its from phoenix), and me to make a rear bumper since it doesn't have one. The previous owner was into hard core offroading and used this jeep for camping, and his buggy for the more serious stuff. I gets delivered in about 2 weeks.

My dad has considered swapping the 40's for 37's, if that's the case I might be able to get my hands on some cheap 40's...... lol

·
Premium Member
1,612 Posts
Very cool. any chance he may come try and keep up with the Toyotas this summer ? I can pack some spare tools

·
Premium Member
1,612 Posts
1 of my favorite Jeeps now is Mischief Maker on 43 s . i really like that build

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
One of the next mods I want to do is a homemade dead pedal. My orangeboxx fab dead pedal is not working out.
Still have your old plastic one? Just repurpose that one if so. I bolted in aluminum dead pedal plate on top of the stocker and it works wonders.

40s
[/QUOTE
Make 40s the new 37s!

·
トヨタ Master
5,785 Posts
Oh, and I'd keep the 40s if I were your dad. Big axles get hung up on everything, and 14 bolts are a huge hard tea bag hanging down back there.

·
Premium Member
7,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,416
Very cool. any chance he may come try and keep up with the Toyotas this summer ? I can pack some spare tools
I don't think he will. But we are getting him a strap for Christmas lol.

1 of my favorite Jeeps now is Mischief Maker on 43 s . i really like that build
I've seen that jeep. Didn't know it was called that. I commend their liberal use of blue. All it takes is money!

Calm down, it's got a Chevy drivetrain now...:rolleyes:;)
Dang straight.

Still have your old plastic one? Just repurpose that one if so. I bolted in aluminum dead pedal plate on top of the stocker and it works wonders.
I mistyped earlier. I actually have the bones offroad one. I want to try and make something more permanent. The clips are not working very well.

Oh, and I'd keep the 40s if I were your dad. Big axles get hung up on everything, and 14 bolts are a huge hard tea bag hanging down back there.
Oh me too. I hope he keeps them but it will probably be harder to get in and out of. Might have to build him a ladder. Funny thing is he has a corvette that has the opposite problem. :lol:

He thinks the thing we do offroad are sometimes crazy so I'm sure it will be under utilized. That said we all know how it can be once you get started into offroading.

1401 - 1420 of 1438 Posts