Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1441 - 1460 of 1664 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,441
Awww . yes the buy a Jeep need a trailer talk . i think its cool your Dad got a 4x4
I think the steering box needs looked at. It definitely has some bump steer and play in the steering wheel. To be honest it's fairly controllable on the street but not as good as I thought it might be. Guess I had my expectation too high for a 1980's jeep on 40's lol. I accidently chirped the back tires a little pulling out of the gas station, sticky throttle like most old vehicles have! Also the front u bolt caps are not fitting properly and were loose.

He's trying to find a trailer big enough for the FJ or 4runner also, just in case one of us breaks something.

·
Premium Member
7,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,442
I actually found the build thread the other day for that jeep KOH build. Pretty awesome. Dana 70 HP rear instead of the 60 I thought earlier. Thought the 60 sounded too weenie.

·
トヨタ Master
7,974 Posts
Is it just me or does snow make FJs just look that much cooler?

Reactions: Iconic_

·
Premium Member
3,226 Posts
Why does it look like it's leaning ? The angle, or just me confused.png

·
Premium Member
7,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,446

·
トヨタ Master
7,974 Posts

·
トヨタ Master
7,974 Posts
Somebody give me a reason not to. :lol:
They cost money?? IDK?? :p
I never sat in one of those. The one's I've been buying are from Mastercraft Safety. They are a non reclining suspension seat as well. I like the low bolster on those PRPs, it seems easy to get in and out of. A factor for which I look at for aftermarket seats.

Reactions: Iconic_

·
トヨタ Master
7,974 Posts
Looks good for wide shoulders like mine too. That's a plus!

·
Premium Member
7,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,452
Finally welded some bolts as studs to the firewall, so I could install my new dead pedal or "foot rest" depending on which state you are from. Nice to have some solid metal finally! I only burned 1 or 2 holes thru my firewall. (which I quickly welded back shut)

·
Premium Member
7,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,454
I think I'm going wheeling on New Year's day. For the first time I'll be leaving my 37's on. I can't turn very sharp to the left. For those wondering, I think 37's can be made serviceable with regular mid travel. I've just never put in the work to make them truly fit. Wish me luck! I'll try my best to keep her pointed straight.

Also I got my windshield replaced, finally!

·
Premium Member
7,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,457
I'VE BUILT A BEAST!!!!

This thing is amazing. I think the tires take most of the credit though. So far it has gone everywhere I've pointed it. Even in the slick mud. Only rubbed my front tires a few times and did a few 3 point turns. So far I'm super happy with my decision to stay IFS up front for now.

The park was packed!!!!!! Flint Hills Jeep Club Hangover Run. We were about to leave the parking lot when we got boxed in by some Jeeps. Decided to stick around a little longer.
20200101_101726.jpg

And we're off.
20200101_104241.jpg

This thing makes me look GOOD.
20200101_110151.jpg
20200101_110233.jpg

Mason's 60 eating some rocks. Also hung up on the shock mounts.
20200101_110711.jpg

My diff breather leaked gear oil for about a minute, while I was at a steep angle at the beginning of the day while locked. Hmmmmm IDK why. I've used it plenty before. And it hasn't leaked again afterwards either.
20200101_110827.jpg
20200101_111426.jpg

I need something that can keep up a little better in the front now don'tcha think? Nevermind the tire smoke in the background lol. Not mine this time.
20200101_111454.jpg
20200101_111946.jpg

·
Premium Member
7,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,460
Oooh, oooh. So I guess its officially 2020, that means I get to talk about future goals, plans yadda yadda yadda.

The one major event I'm doing is Skunks on the Run 2020 from Moab to the Rubicon. Everything I'm doing to my FJ has that trip in mind. Also I want to be mostly finished with the FJ in 2020. It is still my DD and sole vehicle and right now my brother and I's 2 car garage in the cul de sac is stuffed. I have saved a bunch of money up but have told myself to get some form of a shop first before taking on any more project cars. IDK if anyone here cares to know but people ask me all the time, or point out how much $ I have into my rig. I honestly think I've done it somewhat frugally. I paid $14k for the vehicle, and spent another 10k on parts over the course of a few years before I recently regeared and went with a Dana 60. After the rear axle, regear, lockers, 37's, Methods, 14" Kings and Marlin RCLT I am probably looking at another 20k. $0 spent on labor thus far. So, all in its less than a new Jeep Gladiator Rubicon. Does that count for anything? Maybe I shouldn't be keeping track of everything but I am. After RCLT I will probably shop for agreed upon insurance policies for it.

Future List:
-if Marlin's RCLT is released I will be trying to get my hands on that ASAP. Hopefully after KOH in about a month there will be more news on it
-ceramic tint new windshield
-PRP seats (ordered)
-sound deaden roof and wire roof rack lights
-hi tuck exhuast muffler and possibly new Y pipe crossed under trans
-HD rear driveshaft
-Steel bolt-on rear bumper corners
-Move gas tank up and forward 1"?
-Atlas 4 speed & custom front bumper in 2021?
-AR400 (hardened steel) skid plates in 2021?

I want to try and enjoy my FJ more instead of building. It may not be a secret but I haven't always been happy with how its set up. It was in that awkward puberty stage most of last year but finally its getting built back into shape. Just a few more hurdles and I'm there. I think some of you that have reached homeostasis with your rigs know what I mean by that. I just found myself often wondering if I was headed the right direction with it or if I should have left it alone.

Thanks for allowing me this podium to ramble. :lol:

1441 - 1460 of 1664 Posts