Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1501 - 1509 of 1509 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,501
Still trying to get the firepit cut out. Taking longer than I thought to run it thru the shop. Booo.

Another project I've been looking into is how to build a Tundra 10.5" full float diff myself. I'm unable to find anyone that has done this, besides a buggy that raced in KOH years back, and still no info on that. One obstacle is the uncommon toyota 36 spline. Not a big deal, either I get some custom shafts cut with 36 spline on one end, and 35 spline on the other for GM full float outers. Or I have heard the Tundra 10.5 ARB locker can likely be converted to 35 spline (much like Dana ARB's can be made with multiple spline options). Then I would use a Ruffstuff housing, drive flanges, Solid full float kit for D60 w/brakes etc.. Cost for all of that is about $2500. But the cheapest I can find the 10.5" gearset built with 5.29's and ARB is $3500 from justdiffs! Don't think ECGS actively builds those thirds either. So I need to find the gearset for cheaper, beg ECGS to build one, or consider building it myself from a junkyard third.

And no, I'm not talking to Diamond lol. IDK what I want to put this axle under either haha, but I want to build a SFA trail rig someday (not my current FJ). On my bucket list is to solid front axle swap something, and LS swap something. But its stupid to put Toy axles under a GM motor so I'm kinda stuck because Mason already owns all the powerful, midsized Toyotas ever made and I'm his twin so I have to build something different right? I was thinking access cab second gen Taco w/ short bed & V6 on 41.5's but that changes weekly... :unsure:

If anyone has found any info let me know.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Alright I’m just gonna spit ball here so let me know if I’m way off....

Mason already has a runner and a tundra, and you already have the FJ. So what does that leave in the line up besides the tacoma?(which is a legit idea because a SFA 2nd gen is definitely something I’d love to have some day) This leaves a GX as a pretty good option.

Think about it, kinda like the runner in that it has good space on the interior and a V8, but also kinda like the FJ in that it has a barn door also would make a great candidate for a SFA. Plus you can pick them up for at or even sometimes less than the equivalent 4Runner.

Maybe I’m crazy but I also lost my FJ last year and picked up a GX so I might be slightly bias. Plus I wouldn’t mind seeing all the cool stuff you do around on the GX forums haha

·
Premium Member
1,777 Posts
I had currie 9 inch axles in my 4runner . let me tell you how much fun it is to have custom axles . when you break 1 on the trail . What ever you do run something you can source easily to get you home . big HP plus Big tires = Big spending . Find a Samurai . put it on Toy axles . add a VW Diesel . and go where ever you want and think of the money you saved

·
Premium Member
7,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,504
Maybe I’m crazy but I also lost my FJ last year and picked up a GX so I might be slightly bias. Plus I wouldn’t mind seeing all the cool stuff you do around on the GX forums haha
I like those vehicles, but to me the GX and the 4runner are practically the same. And I actually don't really like too many amenities! The engine bay in his Tundra is so bare, and it has rollup windows, no cruise! I kinda like that.

I had currie 9 inch axles in my 4runner . let me tell you how much fun it is to have custom axles . when you break 1 on the trail . What ever you do run something you can source easily to get you home . big HP plus Big tires = Big spending . Find a Samurai . put it on Toy axles . add a VW Diesel . and go where ever you want and think of the money you saved
Full float and equal length shafts means if I carry a spare I can swap it out. Doesn't help with gears or T-cases though. Hopefully this mystical vehicle becomes mostly a Kansas wheeling rig I can beat on without feeling bad. Or trailer to far away places (moab) but I don't have a pickup or trailer.

·
Premium Member
10,892 Posts
Still trying to get the firepit cut out. Taking longer than I thought to run it thru the shop. Booo.

Another project I've been looking into is how to build a Tundra 10.5" full float diff myself. I'm unable to find anyone that has done this, besides a buggy that raced in KOH years back, and still no info on that. One obstacle is the uncommon toyota 36 spline. Not a big deal, either I get some custom shafts cut with 36 spline on one end, and 35 spline on the other for GM full float outers. Or I have heard the Tundra 10.5 ARB locker can likely be converted to 35 spline (much like Dana ARB's can be made with multiple spline options). Then I would use a Ruffstuff housing, drive flanges, Solid full float kit for D60 w/brakes etc.. Cost for all of that is about $2500. But the cheapest I can find the 10.5" gearset built with 5.29's and ARB is $3500 from justdiffs! Don't think ECGS actively builds those thirds either. So I need to find the gearset for cheaper, beg ECGS to build one, or consider building it myself from a junkyard third.

And no, I'm not talking to Diamond lol. IDK what I want to put this axle under either haha, but I want to build a SFA trail rig someday (not my current FJ). On my bucket list is to solid front axle swap something, and LS swap something. But its stupid to put Toy axles under a GM motor so I'm kinda stuck because Mason already owns all the powerful, midsized Toyotas ever made and I'm his twin so I have to build something different right? I was thinking access cab second gen Taco w/ short bed & V6 on 41.5's but that changes weekly... :unsure:

If anyone has found any info let me know.
he owns everything....except an original 40/45 !!!!!
like I said ...old skool... made modern ... baby 8, disc brakes, diffs, manual lockers .... and BIG rubber

B

·
Premium Member
7,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,506
he owns everything....except an original 40/45 !!!!!
like I said ...old skool... made modern ... baby 8, disc brakes, diffs, manual lockers .... and BIG rubber

B
IDK, I think the wheelbase is too short on the 40 for big tires. And we don't really have 45's over here. I like the FJ's wheelbase alright, but would prefer longer if going on bigger tires.

Hopefully I'm not being too negative, I know firemedic has called me downer Devon before! Just thinking out loud. (look at it this way, another vehicle just has big shoes to fill compared to the FJ!)

·
Premium Member
10,892 Posts
IDK, I think the wheelbase is too short on the 40 for big tires. And we don't really have 45's over here. I like the FJ's wheelbase alright, but would prefer longer if going on bigger tires.

Hopefully I'm not being too negative, I know firemedic has called me downer Devon before! Just thinking out loud. (look at it this way, another vehicle just has big shoes to fill compared to the FJ!)
Dev,
Yes they are huge shoes to fill ... what about a 55 - tank ... haha.. I get where you are coming from.... and chasing that golden Unicorn .... many of us have done that ... its just finding the right toy ... its out there .... or build something from the ground up ... a frankenzimmer .... you got the skills ...
plenty would disagree that a 40 can't do big shoes ... I guess it depends how big them shoes gotta be....

B

·
Premium Member
1,777 Posts
Hahah . it was Devon Downer :D . Find a 60 . it has the wheel base . keep it looking old school . but have all modern drivetrain on 40s 4 months bro . get those seats mounted

1501 - 1509 of 1509 Posts