Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1601 - 1620 of 1664 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,601 (Edited)
Ok so I have been avoiding this thread since I know I have some updates to post.

Sway Bar
I cannot purchase a custom lighter profile sway bar before my Rubicon trip in a month because TK1's manufacturing is down for 2 weeks because they are upgrading machines. But they feel like they can give up some stability and allow for more articulation which I think will be just the ticket. But the question is should I remove the sway bar before the trip or keep it? I'm thinking I will remove it. I've gone this long without a sway bar. What is a little longer?

Rear Bumper Corners
I have been working with debfjvt on her design which should be getting cut out this week. But I got mine painted and bolted on. I really like them. No they are not the sturdiest because they have to be bolted on in a small area in order to get a nut to the backside. I have (3) grade 8 3/8" bolts going thru it. It may deflect and bounce back but it will never fall off like the factory wings. Or course I could weld them on to make them more sturdy but I'm not gonna on mine. On deb's I have a few things figured out to help though.

Camping
I needed a kick in the butt to get my FJ out of parts truck mode and into camping/wheeling mode. Had a really good time with my brother and friend. We had to test out our whole camping "system". Storage, food, etc... A couple things I realized didn't work like the starter on my stove and I had no lighters or matches besides the torch attachment for the only small propane bottle I brought with. Meant we had to start something on fire and transfer the bottle to the stove quickly before it went out. This is the least remote I have camped with the FJ since we were at a local state park but good friends, campfire, and bourbon always helps.

Wheeling
Directly after camping we went wheeling at Tuttle OHV for like the 26th time. This was intended to be a final shakedown run before the Moab/Rubi. I was trying new lines and we wheeled quite a while. I aired down to 13 psi as confirmed on 2 gauges. With these special wheels I don't think popping a bead will be much of an issue. And these big tires will walk up so much. Small rock gardens are nothing because of the ground clearance. I did point it up some really steep trails and had to back down. Sometimes you can't beat physics. Like this one, steeper than the pic looks, inclinometer was at 30 deg. Felt a little sketchy. I tried up once and chickened out since I didn't have a spotter.

Then I bent this thing.

Trying to get up this. As you can see the front end cleared before my spotter noticed it. IDK if the tie rod was weakened before but I never hit it hard on anything. The funny thing is I have probably gone up this obstacle half a dozen times or more. But my first time on long travel and I bend a tie rod? We learned alot during this experience about gear and coordination.

Not a whole lot of pics of the FJ, I have to work on that. I just sent Mason 40 pics of his rig and he sends me 2. :unsure:

Edit: the tie rod replacement went easy on the trail. I am considering some upgrade options. Alignment is good again after a minor adjustment at the gas station and a few more adjustments at home today my steering wheel is straight.

·
Premium Member
7,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,603
I did have an issue where I had very little power trying to make a climb that wasn't as steep as that 30 deg one. I noticed something was up and couldn't even spin the tires at half throttle. Its like the RPM's were limited in a limp mode. I floored it and no difference. I did have 1/4 tank of gas and on the steep climbs the light would come on. So maybe low fuel pressure? IDK. It did not make me feel all warm and fuzzy so I think we may go back for another test run and a full tank of gas. You'd think something like this would have happened to me before.

·
Premium Member
7,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,605
No codes. Its like the RPM's were limited to only like 1000 and it wasn't enough to spin the tires. I'm guessing the computer was smart enough to limit power before leaning out without fuel? I talked to some car guys at work and they agree it must just be because of the fuel pickup being starved at the tank.

As soon as I cleared the obstacle I rev'd it and it was fine. I know I've done alot of this stuff with a 1/4 tank before so that is weird.

It was at this spot. 4runner had more gas and a larger tank.

·
トヨタ Master
7,972 Posts
Ok so I have been avoiding this thread since I know I have some updates to post.

Sway Bar
I cannot purchase a custom lighter profile sway bar before my Rubicon trip in a month because TK1's manufacturing is down for 2 weeks because they are upgrading machines. But they feel like they can give up some stability and allow for more articulation which I think will be just the ticket. But the question is should I remove the sway bar before the trip or keep it? I'm thinking I will remove it. I've gone this long without a sway bar. What is a little longer?

Then I bent this thing.
View attachment 1131873
I have been thinking about doing something different with my sway bar and really haven't made up my mind which way to go. The other day I was reading an article in Four Wheeler when I came upon this new setup for JKs. I'm thinking of trying to adapt it to the FJ but would like to see it with my hands.

As far as the bent tie rod "thingy" :LOL: , We've had trouble with that on Tacomas for years. On my ''99, I was able to cut down a DOM tube (I don't remember what size), and then plug weld it to the inner tie rod, exposing enough thread for alignment. I never bent one after that but I'm not sure I abused it as much. It may be a solution for the summer or until you reconfigure your steering.

I like that you're doing all this R&D to expose the next weak links. Thanks for paying for our education, D. (y)

·
Premium Member
7,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,607
I have been thinking about doing something different with my sway bar and really haven't made up my mind which way to go. The other day I was reading an article in Four Wheeler when I came upon this new setup for JKs. I'm thinking of trying to adapt it to the FJ but would like to see it with my hands.

As far as the bent tie rod "thingy" :LOL: , We've had trouble with that on Tacomas for years. On my ''99, I was able to cut down a DOM tube (I don't remember what size), and then plug weld it to the inner tie rod, exposing enough thread for alignment. I never bent one after that but I'm not sure I abused it as much. It may be a solution for the summer or until you reconfigure your steering.

I like that you're doing all this R&D to expose the next weak links. Thanks for paying for our education, D. (y)
From just a quick glance I'd want to figure out some of the dimensions on that bar. I believe if its wide enough for JK's it should just barely be wide enough for our frames. I do like the TK1 I have because of the customization and options to fine tune it.

I just ordered these things yesterday to strengthen the tie rods. https://www.accgarage.com/gx470/tie-bow-no-gx470

I like how it keeps the factory inner and outer joints as the potential next weak link and its not very expensive. I don't drive that aggressively in the rocks so I hope the rack stays together and this just helps the tie rods from weakening out over time.

·
トヨタ Master
7,972 Posts
From just a quick glance I'd want to figure out some of the dimensions on that bar. I believe if its wide enough for JK's it should just barely be wide enough for our frames. I do like the TK1 I have because of the customization and options to fine tune it.

I just ordered these things yesterday to strengthen the tie rods. https://www.accgarage.com/gx470/tie-bow-no-gx470

I like how it keeps the factory inner and outer joints as the potential next weak link and its not very expensive. I don't drive that aggressively in the rocks so I hope the rack stays together and this just helps the tie rods from weakening out over time.
Likey! Little pricey but look to be engineered really well.

·
Premium Member
7,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,609
Turns out my steering rack is all blowed up. (n)

Got in the FJ this morning and it would not turn left lol. It steers fine without the motor turned on and front end jacked up a little. Its gotta be the rack. Fluid all checks out fine and everything is clean no drips. Just out of the blue. It has to be something internal to the rack.

What was that expensive R&D you were talking about me doing CC?

·
トヨタ Master
7,972 Posts
Turns out my steering rack is all blowed up. (n)

Got in the FJ this morning and it would not turn left lol. It steers fine without the motor turned on and front end jacked up a little. Its gotta be the rack. Fluid all checks out fine and everything is clean no drips. Just out of the blue. It has to be something internal to the rack.

What was that expensive R&D you were talking about me doing CC?
It's called SAS. Poke, poke, nudge, nudge. :ROFLMAO: :p

·
Premium Member
7,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,612
Steering Rack Replacement

I ordered a new toyota rack and waited a week for it to get to me. The local dealership wanted $200 more than I paid but could get it here in one day. It was not as bad of a job as I thought it would be. Probably took 8 hours over 2 days. 4 hours a day. 1 hour was spent trying to remove the steering shaft from the old rack. And another hour on alignment in my driveway.

I got mason to Tig the cap that fell off on his 4runner on our trip last year. Now its not going anywhere.

And I installed the ACC Garage Tie Bo No (google it, yes that's what they're called, its ridiculous). They are stainless tie rod reinforcements. But still maintain the inner and outer factory tie rod joints which I like. Its just a sleeve that threads over the inner tie rod to prevent it from bending. So now my entire rack and tie rods are fresh, new parts. Actually the whole front end is new parts now I guess.

I'm really happy to be driving this thing again!!! I will get you a report on how long a fresh rack lasts on 37's daily driving. By the time this one bites the dust Marlin should be out with their HD marrack and I'll probably give that a go.

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
6,144 Posts
Congrats on the successful install! That’s no small feat 💪 And glad you got the Dirt King spare spacer 👍

·
Premium Member
2,158 Posts
Did you have to cut the bolts and run them a different way ?

Reactions: Sparky of SoCal

·
Premium Member
2,158 Posts
Those ACC sleeves are beefy .

Reactions: CabinCruiser

·
Premium Member
7,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,619
Thanks everyone

Did you have to cut the bolts and run them a different way ?
No I didn't cut any bolts cus I planned to re-use them. The driver side required loosening the AC compressor from the block to pull all the way out. Then I flipped them during install with the bolts coming thru the bottom and used red loctite on the nuts. Also my skids should help stop them from falling possibly.

·
トヨタ Master
7,972 Posts
Steering Rack Replacement

I ordered a new toyota rack and waited a week for it to get to me. The local dealership wanted $200 more than I paid but could get it here in one day. It was not as bad of a job as I thought it would be. Probably took 8 hours over 2 days. 4 hours a day. 1 hour was spent trying to remove the steering shaft from the old rack. And another hour on alignment in my driveway.

View attachment 1132662

I got mason to Tig the cap that fell off on his 4runner on our trip last year. Now its not going anywhere.
View attachment 1132660

And I installed the ACC Garage Tie Bo No (google it, yes that's what they're called, its ridiculous). They are stainless tie rod reinforcements. But still maintain the inner and outer factory tie rod joints which I like. Its just a sleeve that threads over the inner tie rod to prevent it from bending. So now my entire rack and tie rods are fresh, new parts. Actually the whole front end is new parts now I guess.
View attachment 1132661

I'm really happy to be driving this thing again!!! I will get you a report on how long a fresh rack lasts on 37's daily driving. By the time this one bites the dust Marlin should be out with their HD marrack and I'll probably give that a go.
(y) Nice!

Reactions: Iconic_
1601 - 1620 of 1664 Posts