Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 40 of 70 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Great work! With this bumper, do you plan to have some stronger spare tire mounting? I want to do some higher speed stuff to test out my long travel suspension. But my door mount spare might be a limitation.
No I haven't really considered anything yet at this point. Was gonna keep the spare on the door for now. I was thinking I could always add a swing out later but my current design isn't really wide enough to accommodate one where I'd like so in the future I could build some bumper corners to mount the spindle to.

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
maybe I'll get to see it in person..................how is Burger Theory there in Salina?
Heck yeah! I've only been there once, it was pretty good. Of course there is a Five Guys in the area too along with a bunch of other places. I only live a mile away. Let me know if you want to meet somewhere!

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Heck yeah! I've only been there once, it was pretty good. Of course there is a Five Guys in the area too along with a bunch of other places. I only live a mile away. Let me know if you want to meet somewhere!
Yup, I'll be staying in Salina for the next few weeks, doing some work down in McPherson - will know more about hours and schedule tomorrow
Would enjoy a beer and a burger

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Beautiful. You gonna have the FJ with best departure angle! So if without the 1.5" body lift, does that mean you can only raise the bumper tube by 0.5"?
Thanks! Tired of scraping my hitch!

Short answer yes. So my outside tube is 5" tall. I could have went even shorter but wanted it to line up with the silver bumper end caps. So I could have gained more. The real gain is from the stock receiver tube. Its no longer hanging down.

Also my measurement of 2" gain was taken from the stock steel bumper tube to my steel bumper tube. IIRC the stock plastic hangs down a little further than the steel part.

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Your should repurpose that somehow into your build. Hmmm.
Roll cage.

Out of curiosity, how rusted was it inside? That area gets a lot of road glop.
It didn't seem very rusty. Neither was the Dino cut out but there was a lot of dirt and junk inside.

·
Premium Member
10,853 Posts
G'Day Mate,
Brilliant work.... looks great with the black under coat on it !!!! :rofl:
super clean lines.... and functional....
Best rear I've seen on a J...

Cheers
Baz
:blueblob:

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Looks very clean and functional! Great work and I’d keep it just the way it is.
I think you're right. Maybe I'll figure out how to put "Iconic_" on it. And add a touch of blue at the same time...

G'Day Mate,
Brilliant work.... looks great with the black under coat on it !!!! :rofl:
super clean lines.... and functional....
Best rear I've seen on a J...

Cheers
Baz
:blueblob:
Yes "undercoat". :rofl: Big compliment! Thanks!

I just wanted it to be a bumper that Toyota "should have done". The end result is actually really simple.

21 - 40 of 70 Posts