Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

61 - 70 of 70 Posts

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
5,765 Posts
So I want to tell the story of my Iconic bumper - I really truly love this bumper and am finally overcoming the old habit/reflex of cringing when going down steep rocky inclines - no bang! Well, maybe just the Iconic rear recovery points :rofl:

Attachments

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
5,765 Posts
Initial step was the most bizarre, partly because I was mid-way on a cross-country journey, heading for some hard wheelin in Moab....so it seemed just wrong to be tearing apart my FJ! But I knew we were in good hands with Iconic Fab :wink

Plasma cutter handily cut off the rear frame member, then ends of the side frame rails. This revealed less dirt and way less rust than I had imagined (good news on frame health!). After grinding down the edges, she was ready for a first fitting!

Attachments

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
5,765 Posts
Looked like a good fit! Next we added the Iconic Fab logo plate :thinkerg: Then the tubes were welded to the open frame ends, and caps added to openings on both the bumper and frame (bumper sits higher than the bottom of the frame rails...hence improved departure angle). L brackets welded into inside corners for additional support/rigidity, with help from Buster :grin
Also threaded through the backup sensors.

Attachments

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
5,765 Posts
Finally I got to slather on the RED :x Careful trimming of the OE bumper plastic preserved the mounting points for the OE bumper wings - essentially cutting away the central plastic area where there is now metal. Unfortunately I have no pics of that, just the closeup on Iconic bumper and the awesome finished product :rocker:

Attachments

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
5,765 Posts
Nice work on the bumper Iconic! Loved the grinding pic Deb. :rocker:
:rofl: We had a blast! I was happy I got to do some hands-on. Had planned on incorporating a welding lesson but ran out of time, and actually I’m glad all the welds are by Iconic Fab :thinkerg:

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
5,765 Posts
Update over a year later - I have managed to hit the rear bumper - I mean really hit - zero times :rocker: Guess that means I’m not running “hard” enough trails :rofl: But I’ve raked off or crushed the plastic wings numerous times so we are currently in process of designing metal wings, as close to OE in appearance as possible :smile

Attachments

·
Registered
3,954 Posts
Update over a year later - I have managed to hit the rear bumper - I mean really hit - zero times :rocker: Guess that means I’m not running “hard” enough trails :rofl: But I’ve raked off or crushed the plastic wings numerous times so we are currently in process of designing metal wings, as close to OE in appearance as possible :smile
You know looking at the picture of your bumper wing taking flight I realized that your sig picture may be the picture of the last seconds your wing was still connected :)

·
Registered
144 Posts
That's a great picture.. :rofl:

61 - 70 of 70 Posts