Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is a thread documenting my rear long travel setup. If the Metaltech long travel kit is long travel, then my setup is going to be "super" long travel. Don't get me wrong, the Metaltech kit is great, you get an 11.5" stroke shock that is bolt-on, reliable, cheap, and works well with 35's. But with some work I think much more travel is achievable. I've taken tons of measurements over the past couple years and slowly dialed my setup towards what I want to do in order to fit a 14" stroke shock. My goal is mostly towards rock crawling performance, I would be doing things differently if I mobbed this thing thru the desert high speed.

My current system to help me achieve this is as follows:
-Custom shock hoops, 7" taller than stock location
-70" wide ECGS Dana 60 differential w/ relocated shock mounts (+2.88" width per side helps to clear outboard shocks)(currently have 1.25" wheel spacers also)
-1.5" body lift
-MT LT HD coils
-14" stroke, short bodied 2.5" Kings w/ welded loop rod end (from Filthy Motorsports)(20.75" comp X 34.75" ext)
-Icon Adjustable Panhard
-RESZ offset upper links
-MT offset lower link
-MT 3" bump stop spacer
-14" limit straps
-extended brake lines
-re-worked ABS wires
-no swaybar
-no plastic flares

King offers a short bodied 14" shock. This particular shock has the same collapsed length as their 12" shock. Then I opted for the welded loop rod end and effectively shortened it another 1". It would be cool to see others make variations to this mod with relocated upper mounts. For example you may be able to get away with wheel spacers if you're only on 35's or smaller tires. Or move the upper mounts up just a few inches. Or go with a shorter 12" shock and gain more uptravel than the MT kit allows. Or go with 16's and cut into the cab - I honestly think its possible.

The biggest thing is I'm doing this without cutting into the cab and still on stock suspension geometry! Meaning I'm not going with a custom 3 link like so many other FJC's have done. I'm honestly trying to figure out why all these super built rigs spend the dough to re-link everything. I realize there are some benefits to a custom 3 link. But factory suspension has some major advantages as well IMO. Plus I can still go back to a factory shock since I left the frame mount intact. There are a few quirks here and there with having this much travel on stock geometry. Axle centering, driveshaft clearance etc...

Currently I'm at about 2.5" more droop at the shock than the MT LT kit. This equates to more than that at the tire of course. And my lower shock mounts are about 3" higher off the ground for more ground clearance. No rubbing in the rear. I may be able to center my axle with the panhard and then I can remove my additional wheel spacers.

20191110_133327.jpg

20191104_161041.jpg

·
Premium Member
7,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Pics of the process. These are about 2 weekends worth of work. There is so much I could go over and explain but I think I will keep it brief. Feel free to ask any questions.

20191102_114359.jpg

20191102_114406.jpg

20191102_151138.jpg

20191102_174352.jpg

20191103_132638.jpg

20191108_183737.jpg

20191103_102538.jpg

About 1" of up travel being unused. I may be able to shorten that to 1/2". I have only about 3.5"-4" of up travel at the moment.
20191110_132420.jpg

This is the FINAL setup. If you look closely you can see I not only shortened the lower shock mount substantially, but cut the janky stud off and changed it to double shear tabs with a grade 8 bolt.
20191110_130610.jpg

·
Premium Member
10,853 Posts
G'Day Dev,
well done mate ...looks v impressive...
I hope the geometry works ... looks like the angle of the shock is slightly increased v stock .... which might change the cycle when rolling .... better or worse ...or the same ... time will tell .... but with everything else you doing.... might also be mute.... :lol:
Cheers
Baz
:blueblob:
@debFJVT ... do not read this thread .....:rofl::rofl:

·
Premium Member
7,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I hope the geometry works ...
I can't tell a huge difference in regards to the angle. The Kings ride much better with less body roll than my OME's. And its another reason why I got the compression adjusters, to have some wiggle room. The top of the shocks are angled inboard and mounted higher up, both of which are supposed to add stability.

·
Premium Member
10,853 Posts
I can't tell a huge difference in regards to the angle. The Kings ride much better with less body roll than my OME's. And its another reason why I got the compression adjusters, to have some wiggle room. The top of the shocks are angled inboard and mounted higher up, both of which are supposed to add stability.
Kings always going to out perform OME's ... so fingers crossed you don't encounter any cycling issues ...its only a slight increase - if any ..just going off eye sight measurements ... just looked different perhaps... optics can do that...:lol:
At low speed crawling I doubt you would notice it....higher speed whoops ..maybe ... and being that's what you are designing... should not be an issue.
It looks really good .... so it better live up to the Iconic_Fabrication standard !!!!!
Cheers
Baz
:blueblob:

·
Registered
691 Posts
Great work! In addition to the extra flex, I really love the new lower shock mounts.
Serious question: does your metaltech spring hit your gas tank at full droop? I think my rear shocks are about 27.5" extended. The spring will hit the tank if i didn't connect the rear swaybar and both shocks are at full droop. I forgot to check after i connected my swaybar but the end link should get straightened before shocks fully extend, so i might be ok. But with how much droop you have i'm a little concerned.

·
Premium Member
7,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
does your metaltech spring hit your gas tank at full droop?
Thanks, I need to test it a little more but no I do not think it was rubbing the tank, even with both shocks fully drooped. Could be my axle is slightly different IDK. I'll check it next chance I get.

·
トヨタ Master
5,845 Posts
The only thing I would change would be to add a gusset to the original shock mount (since it's still in the vicinity). This would be simple and you could simply bolt it through the new upper mount using an existing shock bolt. This would just reduce the chances of the outer frame portion twisting or deflecting under hard hits etc. It looks like there's room to me and you could make this totally bolt on.

·
Premium Member
7,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Still curios what numbers you are getting ?
I'm using about 13" of stroke. And getting at least 2 inches more droop then the MT kit does. The math behind that is my 34.75" ext shock, minus 7" for being mounted higher up, plus 3" by moving the lower mount up. Equals 30.75". MT shock is 28.5" extended.

The only thing I would change would be to add a gusset to the original shock mount (since it's still in the vicinity). This would be simple and you could simply bolt it through the new upper mount using an existing shock bolt. This would just reduce the chances of the outer frame portion twisting or deflecting under hard hits etc. It looks like there's room to me and you could make this totally bolt on.
But. Its already painted. :lol: Could.

I'm using the factory shock mount for the limit strap. And would like to go back to a factory shock if one of the Kings breaks a long way from home so it would have to fit around that.

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
Hahah . i dont care about what MT has or is I do not have a MT kit . just curious if you are getting more Drop .

·
トヨタ Master
5,845 Posts
I'm using about 13" of stroke. And getting at least 2 inches more droop then the MT kit does. The math behind that is my 34.75" ext shock, minus 7" for being mounted higher up, plus 3" by moving the lower mount up. Equals 30.75". MT shock is 28.5" extended.

But. Its already painted. :lol: Could.

I'm using the factory shock mount for the limit strap. And would like to go back to a factory shock if one of the Kings breaks a long way from home so it would have to fit around that.
You don't need shocks to drive home, especially flat land KS. :grin

·
Registered
691 Posts
does your metaltech spring hit your gas tank at full droop?
Thanks, I need to test it a little more but no I do not think it was rubbing the tank, even with both shocks fully drooped. Could be my axle is slightly different IDK. I'll check it next chance I get.
I'm curious to know. I couldn't find a pic of mine. But my friend is fitting 29.5" extended kings at factory location. This is what he's dealing with. You can see the spring was bent side way slightly and the lower part was lifted off the spring perch. Then the UCA hit as well.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I learned some things tonight, and got my straps adjusted to stop the rear shocks within 1/4" of complete extension. I may adjust that to 1/2" later on.

Strapped, springs getting a little loose.
20191113_171832.jpg

20191113_171825.jpg

Lower link not hitting axle tube while fully articulated.
20191113_171816.jpg

This the measurement you were looking for firemedic? 15.75" to the factory bump location. Keep in mind my axle tubes are larger than most at 3.5".
20191113_171451.jpg

The aha moment as to why some of you seem to be getting different measurements. Full vertical flex by jacking on the bumper. My shocks are stopped about 2" short of their full travel.

20191113_174518.jpg

MT offset lower link hitting axle tube.
20191113_174726.jpg

Spring clears, upper link clears. Straps getting tighter. Because I assume I'm actually getting less vertical travel then your friend Kai because my axle is limiting me in some way due to the location of the lower link mounts or axle tube.
20191113_174545.jpg

Since I don't drive in the desert and my straps are about to limit the vertical travel anyway I'm ok with the limited travel.

·
Premium Member
10,853 Posts
G'Day Dev,
given the straps will stretch .... and they do ....1/4 or 1/2 might be a wee bit too close ... you'll probably hear it when it does stretch ... :rofl:

I am not going to mention the safe and proper way you jacked it up....either ..... :rofl:

Cheers
Baz
:blueblob::blueblob:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts