Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Glad everyone made it out ok. Looks like Icy took it like a champ. Hope you get back on the road soon!

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Unfortunate incident, but it looks like no damage that can't be repaired 100% just by replacing component parts.

Actually, you may be "lucky" that the LCA tore, absorbing energy, vs deforming the frame or other more-difficult-to-replace parts. An LCA is easily replaced, while dealing with localized frame deformation is a whole different level. I'd also insist on having the spindle replaced, as enough of an impact to tear the control arm may also have slightly tweaked the spindle.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Good Luck nephew. Did you get Icy to somewhere you can work on it? lpstkFJ still needs the crunched rear bumper changed out.

·
4-Corners Moderator
4,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Good Luck nephew. Did you get Icy to somewhere you can work on it? lpstkFJ still needs the crunched rear bumper changed out.
With the cracked LCA it was undriveable so it got towed to a wrecking yard and soon it will go to a shop. The thing that is too bad is I have a replacement LCA at home in Colorado but that does me no good up here... Hopefully it all gets squared away soon!

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
there should be a law where you get to shoot uninsured drivers. shoot 'em twice for driving while stupid and without insurance. Glad everyone's ok! (I know! Made me laugh too!)

·
4-Corners Moderator
4,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #29 (Edited)
So things have been moving along slowly, crazy that it has been almost 2 weeks since the accident. The repair shop in Provo that is doing the repairs should be getting started today or tomorrow which sounds like they will include: replacing the front Bushwacker Fender Flares (good luck to them in trimming the front passenger one to accommodate the snorkel), replacing the fender liner, repairing the front passenger fender, replacing the front lower control arm (just going with OEM instead of Total Chaos, which is better than nothing I guess!), and they will be replacing the front Demello Offroad bumper as it was also damaged in the accident.

Luckily for me, it sounds like as long as the replacement bumper is equal or less in value than the current bumper, they don't care what it gets replaced with! So I've been faced with the difficult decision the past couple days on deciding what to do for my next bumper.

The options I was looking at included:

A. Get a new Demello 3-Hoop bumper like I currently have
B. Get a new Demello Evil Eye bumper which I've always liked the look of more and they have it currently in stock so it could get shipped out right away
C. Get an Expedition One WyoOtto bumper like I've always wanted since they are on sale and if I do local pick-up, it is way cheaper than the Demello! BUT there is a 7-9 week lead time on bumpers

The perks of going with a new Demello bumper would be I already know how those bumpers function and look on my rig and they are great, very tough yet still very low profile, so less scrapping on things vs my old ARB bumper. BUT I've always had my eye on Expedition One bumpers and with them being local in Utah where I'm currently going to school it just makes a lot of sense to finally take the opportunity to get one after all these years of drooling over them. Especially since I've brushed shoulders with their owners and employees both here in Utah and at the FJ Summit and have always been bugging them to get me a bumper.

So it looks like I'm finally going to get an Expedition One after all! I debated over which design I wanted to get, but I definitely had to have one that comes out to the sides with its bars to protect the corners since the side hoops are what saved my FJ in this last accident and the nice thing about Exp One is they come out even further! So that meant either the Kodiak style, Bull Bar style, or WyoOtto style bumpers. I'm not a fan of the bull bar design, hence why I got rid of the ARB bumper a couple years ago, and though the Kodiak is cool and not many people get it, I just cannot resist the iconic look of that WyoOtto.

So the WyoOtto bumper it is for me! I wont have it for a couple months but that just means it will be a good Thanksgiving/early Christmas surprise once it is finally done!

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Wow. Good lord that could have been bad.
Keep us posted on repairs. So great that these cars appear to have such an unending amount of replacement parts.
We JUST bought our 2007 FJ with 130k miles and only light surface rust in Oregon. Great machine, already took her down some mild off-roading trails.
Your setup looks like something similar to what I'd like to do to ours; protect it from all angles and look good while doing it :)
Cheers my friend :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Keep us posted on repairs. So great that these cars appear to have such an unending amount of replacement parts.
We JUST bought our 2007 FJ with 130k miles and only light surface rust in Oregon. Great machine, already took her down some mild off-roading trails.
Your setup looks like something similar to what I'd like to do to ours; protect it from all angles and look good while doing it :)
Curious what you paid for it. I just bought a 2007 4wd with 68k miles in Idaho for $16,750. I had been looking in OR as well

OP sorry about the rig. What are the chances she was on her phone? I'm guessing pretty good lol
That new bumper looks great though. May have to look into those.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Curious what you paid for it. I just bought a 2007 4wd with 68k miles in Idaho for $16,750. I had been looking in OR as well
That's a good price. We just purchased ours for $15,550 w/ 130k miles. It has most of the bells and whistles for the first year including Rear Dif lock, A-TRAC, Inverter, and FJammer stereo w/ sub.
Absolutely LOVE it thusfar. Really looking at that Expedition One bumper now that I see it on the OPs :)
:grin

·
4-Corners Moderator
4,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #35 (Edited)
Thanks! Yeah I really am liking the look of mine now-a-days, the big differences were the new bumper, the 35s, and the custom red roof rack decal. It really makes it my own. Excited for the Exp One bumper to get finished though!

I actually got the FJ back just last week and it is nice to be driving it around again! Not as smooth and refined as the new rental Tacoma I had but still a great machine!

You can see in the photos that she is all put back together! New OEM lower control arm, new custom cut Bushwacker fender flare, they fixed and painted the fender, and I had them use paintless dent repair to pop out a dent in my rear driver's side door. So all is well again! They put the Demello bumper back on in the mean time but it is crazy just how unnoticeable the damage to the bumper is! It is so slight but oh well! I'll be getting a new bumper anyways so my Demello one will be up for sale soon!

Attachments

·
4-Corners Moderator
4,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
So when I got the FJ back after the accident, the shop had installed the new, previously broken Bushwacker fender flare on the side where the accident had occurred. The Bushwackers however come in a front pair or rear pair or full set, so they had ordered just the front set but didn't want to install the extra flare on the side that wasn't broken. So I decided I was going to install the new flare on there because why not and I ended up removing all the flares for the time being. :lol: Mostly because I did not want to reinstall the Bushwackers until some new fender grommets show up that I ordered as some of mine are mysteriously missing along with their accompanying bolts.

So I took the opportunity to go get some great photos of the FJ without the Bushwackers and boy does it look good! The colors are just starting to change for Fall here in Utah and the Alpine Loop was an incredible backdrop for the photos. Unfortunately unless I were to repaint or wrap the FJ, the damage the Bushwackers have done to the paint is far too visible so the Bushwackers will definitely go back on.

I also got some shots of the FJ flexing in the same spot I've gone to before, only this time without the rear sway bar on or Bushwackers. It is way more flexy now, and there is less rubbing!

Before Sway bar removal

After Sway bar removal

This rear long travel setup brought to you by Metal Tech 4x4 medium coils, Metal Tech bump stops, Low Range Off-Road ext. rear brake lines, RESZ Fab Duroflex join rear links and panhard bar, and Icon long travel V2 rear shocks.

·
4-Corners Moderator
4,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #37 (Edited)
Got the new Exp One bumper in my possession! Sitting in my living room right now. Hoping I get some free time to install it soon!

Attachments

·
4-Corners Moderator
4,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #38 (Edited)
New Expedition One WyoOtto front steel bumper is installed! Quite the beast to move around by yourself! Haha I think I still need to loosen the bolts and adjust it around since it may be sitting a little low but it is looking sweet! Need to get the skid plates back on there too, but hopefully when thay happens I have Ricochet skid plates!!

Super crazy to think that this is my 3rd bumper on this FJ!

Attachments

·
4-Corners Moderator
4,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Just ordered my next big mod! It is something I've needed and wanted for a long time, Ricochet skid plates! I'll be doing a full set of skids with the visible pieces anodized red. Pretty excited to have that peace of mind offroading from now on and it will look pretty good too! Not looking forward to putting it on in the cold weather though or having to retap my frame threads for them to bolt up. :bigthumb:

·
4-Corners Moderator
4,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
I swung by Ricochet Offroad here in Utah and picked up some early Christmas goodies! Been waiting to do this mod for a long time and I'm excited with how it turned out! After getting them I took them back to my aunt and uncle's house to install in their garage which I am thankful for since yesterday when I started working on them there was no snow on the ground but 7 hours later there was at least 5-6 inches of snow outside! It dumped on us! But after a long battle I was victorious and here is the result!
20191126_090347.jpg

The sexy red anodization of the visible pieces is incredible and matches my roof rack and other red highlights so well! I'm happy with how it turned out! Lots of peace of mine too knowing they are down there, but now I have to try and not scratch them! Haha

21 - 40 of 45 Posts