Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 282 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would. You guys would get another sale as fast as I could get to my dealer if you put a diesel in an FJ. Turbo diesel would be really nice.

Like the old Hilux Surf. A Turbo blowing right into the intake manifold.

I'd also like to say, that you made the Tacoma too big. Offer a smaller truck like my 89 Toyota "Pickup" that I still have and love, with the same diesel you put in the FJ, and Mel and I would buy it along with the diesel FJ.

We don't need anything so big in the pickup department, and you now have no options for smaller trucks. My buddy was thinking of getting a new pickup, and when we compared the size and price of the Ford Ranger to the Tacoma for a daily driver, weekend dirt bike hauler, and light camping/wheeling rig, the Tacoma loses. Sucks, because I would never drive a Ford but in this case, my buddy made some very good points I can't ignore.

·
Registered
462 Posts
No diesel for me. Gas is 4.00 for 87 octane, diesel is 4.80 gal. Not to cheap to run as they used to be.:mecry:

·
Premium Member
8,988 Posts
No diesel for me. Gas is 4.00 for 87 octane, diesel is 4.80 gal. Not to cheap to run as they used to be.:mecry:
When diesels can achieve a 50% increase in efficiency, there is still plenty of savings to be had even at the higher diesel prices.

I'll second the opinion on the smaller pickups.

·
Premium Member
8,988 Posts
I'm going to a dinner party in a couple of weeks with the CEO of Cummins. If I get a chance I plan to get the low down on what they've got in the pipeline.

·
Premium Member
6,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Like Woodsman said, Diesel is a higher efficiency fuel. It is worth more in miles/km's and will provide savings at the end of the day.

Also, for wheeling, a Diesel will outcrawl any identical vehicle with a gas engine. If you do the research, diesel is the way to go.

·
Premium Member
8,988 Posts
Scroll down to page 13 to see how the new 4.2 and 5.6 liter Cummins engines (which were in development with the Dept of Energy when this was written) compare with the 4.7 and 5.7 liter gas engines. Almost 50% increase in the combined driving averages.

http://www1.eere.energy.gov/vehiclesandfuels/pdfs/deer_2004/session9/2004_deer_stang2.pdf

Notice that these tests are dated 2004 which helps you understand how slowly things progress from development and testing to actual production . . . which helps explain why we aren't already driving diesel FJs.

One or both of these diesels is slated to be released in the Dodge Ram 1/2 tons in 2009 as a 2010 model. Ford and Chevy also have small diesel in development for their 1/2 ton trucks to be released about the same time.

·
Premium Member
8,988 Posts

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
I would trade my FJ in on a diesel version in a heartbeat. My first car was a VW Golf TDI. I love me my diesels...

Bill

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
X2

Needs a diesel!!!

·
Registered
283 Posts
I'd also like to say, that you made the Tacoma too big. Offer a smaller truck like my 89 Toyota "Pickup" that I still have and love, with the same diesel you put in the FJ, and Mel and I would buy it along with the diesel FJ.

We don't need anything so big in the pickup department, and you now have no options for smaller trucks. My buddy was thinking of getting a new pickup, and when we compared the size and price of the Ford Ranger to the Tacoma for a daily driver, weekend dirt bike hauler, and light camping/wheeling rig, the Tacoma loses. Sucks, because I would never drive a Ford but in this case, my buddy made some very good points I can't ignore.
I strongly disagree. If they made the Tacoma any smaller I would have bought an F150. The Tacoma is the perfect size IMHO. Keep the Tacoma the size it is and give the TRD Off Road a Front Locker.

Maybe a better idea would be to add in another small truck to Toyotas line up.

·
Premium Member
6,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I strongly disagree. If they made the Tacoma any smaller I would have bought an F150. The Tacoma is the perfect size IMHO. Keep the Tacoma the size it is and give the TRD Off Road a Front Locker.

Maybe a better idea would be to add in another small truck to Toyotas line up.
Yeah that would be cool. I like the size of the 89-95 pickups, and the 96 Tacoma's up to this new body style. They need to bring back the bare bones pickup so I can buy a new one. Heck, if they made my 89 NEW that would be perfect.

So long as it has the 4x4 drivetrain, everything else can be done later if it requires it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm with you Joel. Every time I fill up I hope Toyota will offer a (turbo) diesel.
I put on over 60,000 KM per year for work and $1.31 / L is affecting the bottom line!

·
Registered
340 Posts
Not only is the Taco to big but the FJ is a little large IMO. As for oil burners (JP8), I drive military F350's & 3500's not to mention a HMMVE or two and I can tell you the fuel mileage is no where near %50 better. More powerful yes but only maybe 15-20% more thrifty due to the equally large engine displacemant to gas motors. What Toyota needs is to use a smaller V6 diesel maybe a 3.0 or 2.5 turbo to help with the MPG.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I would. You guys would get another sale as fast as I could get to my dealer if you put a diesel in an FJ. Turbo diesel would be really nice.

Like the old Hilux Surf. A Turbo blowing right into the intake manifold.

Not to hijack the thread, but the BASE tacoma is roughly the same size and price as the base ford ranger.

·
Premium Member
6,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ford.ca

2008 Ranger Super Cab Fx4 Offroad = $25,399

Toyota.ca

4x4 Double Cab V6 Tacoma = $32,050

That's 7K. Haven't even started looking at options yet...

Might be better in the USA...

Base isn't an option. Need 4x4!

·
Registered
505 Posts
As long as my aftermarket suspension bits fit on a diesel FJ, I'd trade in a heartbeat. I'd pay 30, maybe eve 35K for a turbodiesel 6 cyl.

Yes, diesel may be more expensive, but as mentioned, the mileage offsets the more expensive diesel nicely.

·
Registered
340 Posts
As long as my aftermarket suspension bits fit on a diesel FJ, I'd trade in a heartbeat. I'd pay 30, maybe eve 35K for a turbodiesel 6 cyl.

Yes, diesel may be more expensive, but as mentioned, the mileage offsets the more expensive diesel nicely.

Que? The mileage in a 4000cc motor will be only slightly better. What I think you are wanting is a 4 cylinder turbo D or a much smaller V6 in displacement.
Otherwise 20mpg will be 25mpg with higher fuel prices and just wait until you go for an oil change and fuel filter swap every other oil change. Just ask a F-350 owner.

·
Premium Member
6,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Que? The mileage in a 4000cc motor will be only slightly better. What I think you are wanting is a 4 cylinder turbo D or a much smaller V6 in displacement.
Otherwise 20mpg will be 25mpg with higher fuel prices and just wait until you go for an oil change and fuel filter swap every other oil change. Just ask a F-350 owner.
I don't need or want a fast truck either, so like carrotzilla said a smaller diesel is the answer (just not too much smaller). The 3.0L TD will do just fine for me, get better MPG's, have buttloads more torque and crawl like a unimog.

But really I don't care. Find some HINO motor and slide her in there. Come on Toyota! Take more of my $$$ and make me an even more hardcore Toyota lover.

1 - 20 of 282 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.