Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,100 Posts
Well first I would have to see it to believe it. I have had several diesels. They are much better now, but get no where what people claim they get for mileage. Pulling power yes, but miles not that I have seen.

With the cost of diesel supposedly being near 7 dollars a gallon by Christmas, I have no need or desire to put the filty noisey things in a good vehicle. If it came down to a reasonable price then I could live with it. Not to mention the value of a diesel is non exsistant after the initial purchase.

I paid 5.45 this morning and at 13 miles to the gallon that is very expensive. It is 2007 GMC Sierra 3500 and has never gotten over 13.3 on the highway, towing my 5th wheel I am lucky to get 9.5, normally closer to 8.

·
Premium Member
2,100 Posts
I have the non smog 2007 GMC. I have never seen anywhere near those numbers nor have I talked with anyone else that I trust that have.

I drive very sensibly. No high speeds and very little stop and go with the truck. I had a F350 2006 that was the largest nightmare I have ever owned. It would not get more than 12 miles to the gallon.

All along Ford and GMC stating that I should get near 20 unloaded.

The cost of maintaining a diesel is so far and above the gas engines that it is laughable. The dealers actually try to get you to change the oil at 5000 mile intervals. Even though the manuals tell you to go by the percentage caluclator in the computer.

I had a F700 that got 11 miles to the gallon loaded or unloaded.

Yes they are quieter, nicer, but I would never own one if I did not have a large trailer to pull. The cost of operation one is so much higher in every aspect it seems to me.

I doubt seriously that Toyota would bring one in under the 40k mark anyway. You better plan to keep it forever, because the resale value will fall faster than anything out there. There is a place for a diesel, but I just do not think it is the offroad answer.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts