Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would. You guys would get another sale as fast as I could get to my dealer if you put a diesel in an FJ. Turbo diesel would be really nice.

Like the old Hilux Surf. A Turbo blowing right into the intake manifold.

I'd also like to say, that you made the Tacoma too big. Offer a smaller truck like my 89 Toyota "Pickup" that I still have and love, with the same diesel you put in the FJ, and Mel and I would buy it along with the diesel FJ.

We don't need anything so big in the pickup department, and you now have no options for smaller trucks. My buddy was thinking of getting a new pickup, and when we compared the size and price of the Ford Ranger to the Tacoma for a daily driver, weekend dirt bike hauler, and light camping/wheeling rig, the Tacoma loses. Sucks, because I would never drive a Ford but in this case, my buddy made some very good points I can't ignore.

·
Premium Member
6,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Like Woodsman said, Diesel is a higher efficiency fuel. It is worth more in miles/km's and will provide savings at the end of the day.

Also, for wheeling, a Diesel will outcrawl any identical vehicle with a gas engine. If you do the research, diesel is the way to go.

·
Premium Member
6,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I strongly disagree. If they made the Tacoma any smaller I would have bought an F150. The Tacoma is the perfect size IMHO. Keep the Tacoma the size it is and give the TRD Off Road a Front Locker.

Maybe a better idea would be to add in another small truck to Toyotas line up.
Yeah that would be cool. I like the size of the 89-95 pickups, and the 96 Tacoma's up to this new body style. They need to bring back the bare bones pickup so I can buy a new one. Heck, if they made my 89 NEW that would be perfect.

So long as it has the 4x4 drivetrain, everything else can be done later if it requires it.

·
Premium Member
6,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ford.ca

2008 Ranger Super Cab Fx4 Offroad = $25,399

Toyota.ca

4x4 Double Cab V6 Tacoma = $32,050

That's 7K. Haven't even started looking at options yet...

Might be better in the USA...

Base isn't an option. Need 4x4!

·
Premium Member
6,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Que? The mileage in a 4000cc motor will be only slightly better. What I think you are wanting is a 4 cylinder turbo D or a much smaller V6 in displacement.
Otherwise 20mpg will be 25mpg with higher fuel prices and just wait until you go for an oil change and fuel filter swap every other oil change. Just ask a F-350 owner.
I don't need or want a fast truck either, so like carrotzilla said a smaller diesel is the answer (just not too much smaller). The 3.0L TD will do just fine for me, get better MPG's, have buttloads more torque and crawl like a unimog.

But really I don't care. Find some HINO motor and slide her in there. Come on Toyota! Take more of my $$$ and make me an even more hardcore Toyota lover.

·
Premium Member
6,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I agree 1000%. Toyota made the newest Tacoma too big. It can't really fit down a normal trail now without being in major fear of body panel damage.

They should have left it alone size wise.

As for diesels.....I'd take a Toyota, Hino, Isuzu (or Fuji Heavy Industries) in a heart beat. Make a big one for the Tundra so it can compete with 1T Cummins/Duramax/IH and a smaller one for the minitruck, 4Runner, FJC, etc. so they get good mileage and have plenty of torque.

JMO,
Sean
:rocker:

Really, my FJ is a little too wide for some trails here, but the folding mirrors and AP rock rails help. I'd have less pin striping on my black paint if it were more like my old Pickup. I also feel the FJ is too wide for me inside, or they skimped on the bolsters on the seats. I get kicked back and forth pretty good, but I blame some of this on me being a little guy.

New seats with 4 point harnesses will help with that... I keeping this thing until the diesel one gets here!

·
Premium Member
6,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
screw diesel.

in the communist republic of florida it's 4.79-5.00 a gallon.
You missed the part where diesel is more efficient and better for crawling...

If you really don't want to be paying for gas neither an FJ Cruiser or a 1983FJ60 is going to get you what you want.

Love ya!

Joel

·
Premium Member
6,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
But why is it around 80 cents more than gas? That's the question we should be asking since it's less refined.

This country is headed for a ****-storm the likes of which we haven't seen in generations.

We are literally going to be starving if diesel prices rise so high that truckers can't make ends meet.

Sorry...off topic.

Sean
Though, I'm not arguing about the fact that someone needs to get a swift kick in the junk regarding the gouging we, the consumer, are forced to tolerate on a daily basis at the pumps.

·
Premium Member
6,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
Bring it on ... I would be in the line right behind Joel.
So long as you are behind me and I get to drive mine off the lot FIRST! :lol:

Just kidding. Keep this thread going, no attacking other members! If this gets shut down and I never see a diesel FJ I'll... I'll...

I'll go cry! :mecry:

I like your attitude CanadaFJ. :cheers:

·
Premium Member
6,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #86 ·
Jayman, your knowledge of petroleum products amazes me, and I have no trouble admitting I don't understand much of what you just said. :eek:

Do you think a diesel FJ would be more economic? That potential plus the wicked "luggability" for crawling and 4 wheel torque is what has me dreaming.

·
Premium Member
6,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #89 · (Edited)
Well i was asuming that he was refering to U.S. MPG. But he did say it was done in euro testing. Didn't know that euro and U.S. MPG were differnt.

FJoel, i have a question for you. Is the added torque for wheeling the main reason for wanting a diesel? The 280ftpds that the 4.0 has has never given me trouble going up steep inclines, or doing some moderate rock crawling (I say moderate, cause thats all my rig is set for). I know fuel econemy would one on the list too, but like jayman said with emissions becoming more and more strict fuel econemy seems to suffer.
That, and towing trailers etc. The stuff I drive up here, like the summit I did on Poison Mountain in my old Yota a few years back (haven't made it all the way up again yet, something always happens along the way) makes me want to go slow in low. In order to have the most control, I like to crawl clutch out, 1st in low, foot off the gas, so basically idling up the rocky inclines. I wouldn't call it rock crawling like something a buggy would do, but more like that Youtube vid where the H2 snaps a tie-rod on those rocks, but STEEPER.

I don't drive auto because I really struggle with it, and it won't give that kind of control I want offroad either.

When I go up these BC mountains in low first, if I let my FJ idle it really chugs and can knock. This as you know is not good for an engine. But foot on the gas is too fast for the terrain, and clutching is not safe (steep, and unstable traction). I could do an inchworm, but I want the DIESEL.

In Moab last summer, I did parts of Fins and Things and some other nearby trails. I don't think I did any whole trails to be honest. I didn't want to take my only ride home to Canada on Hell's Revenge just because the name scared me a little, so we took a MOG tour. Well worth it, by the way.

I had a Cruiser shirt on, you know, to represent! The MOG driver caught onto this and asked if I had an FJ Cruiser. Cool cool, right.

Out on the trail, he sticks the 3.0L diesel MOG in reverse, backs up to a steep incline, and puts his feet up on the dash. We idled backwards up something the FJ likely couldn't do forwards. :rocker: The diesel slowed a little, but never stuttered! Granted, this is a MOG with properly aired Super Swampers. I always wanted a diesel rig of some sort, but this experience in Moab turned my want into a need!

Then he says, "bet your Cruiser can't do that!?" The look on my girlfriend's face hurt the most. :rofl:

As of today, my FJ is looking more and more like a stupid decision on my behalf. Gas was $1.489 a litre for regular, and I only use premium like the fuel door says (also reduces my chances of that chugging and knocking off road). I have been riding my bike on the nice days simply because I can't afford to drive everyday and eat with these gas prices in an FJ. I'm going to keep this beast because I love it to death, and am proud to say all of my mods have been performed by me and crew (save my first of three spring swaps, before I was brave enough to do that. I have two front supension swaps under my belt since then). However, if it is going to sit in the garage and take a good chunk of my paycheck just to be a weekend wheeler, the least it could do is not chug when I want to idle up something hard to safely navigate.

·
Premium Member
6,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #90 ·
If FJoel is really looking for torque, I'd actually suggest the Inchworm gear box over a diesel anyway. Offroad, the extra low tcase gearing will be of more benefit than the diesel's available torque anyway.

Sean
Maybe you are right Sean. I drool over the S/C, but IF I ever sell this [email protected] Seadoo maybe I should be looking at the Inchworm instead.

A diesel and inchworm would be even better, but really no use on a vehicle with IFS anyway, IMO.

·
Premium Member
6,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #91 ·
Maybe you are right Sean. I drool over the S/C, but IF I ever sell this [email protected] Seadoo maybe I should be looking at the Inchworm instead.

A diesel and inchworm would be even better, but really no use on a vehicle with IFS anyway, IMO.
Wow I talked myself out of that one fast. S/C is more practical for both on and offroad, in regards to towing and wheeling. It also will have a greater effect on my high altitude wheeling, which is what I like to do. Get up high for the view! Inchworm will have to wait.

·
Premium Member
6,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #95 ·
You do realize that Mogs are geared from the factory with INSANELY low gearing, right? I think the highest gearing ever offered was in the 250:1 range. The lowest one I've heard of was over 1100:1. It wouldn't matter if you had a hamster in the engine compartment....with that kind of gearing, it would crawl up anything it can maintain traction on.

Sean
I didn't know that, no. This is why I like having guys like you around here. :lol: I've wheeled a fair bit, but there is ALWAYS more to learn.

I knew he put it in low, but never considered just how LOW low was.

Still the inchworm doesn't help me tow. I helped my mom get some gravel the other day with a little util trailer and my old Yota bedliner, and my FJ barely made it out of the pit. I wasn't impressed with a gas engine yet again. Nope, I've never owned a diesel anything, but I have driven a few and I like it!

·
Premium Member
6,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #98 ·
Nothing wrong with that. I've owned a few diesels now, and I like them better than gassers for most stuff too....not fourwheeling though....takes too long for the turbo to spool up on the really steep climbs where you have to get it.

Diesels are still hella cool regardless.

Sean
Wouldn't a turbo diesel still be next to impossible to stall while idling up an incline? I believe the MOG had the Mercedes 3.0L TD in it and I know the turbo was doing nothing at those RPM's.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts