Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
261 - 280 of 282 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Toyota Diesel + Solid Axle = I'd sell one of my nuts, possibly both.

Sure diesel prices are a bit more right now, but that extra .50c is well worth its benefits.

Pros:
- fuel diversity (will run on many oil based substances with the right mods in a pinch)
- ridiculous reliability
- increased usability on road for pulling
- increased usability off road for climbing and remote area availability
- with the weight of the FJ and how its geared, a diesel would increase milage incredibly, which would mean that even if you were to pay more per gallon, that gallon will give you a significant amount of range over petrol. in the end you'll pay less (about the same at worst)
- readily availability of fuel, specially in an expedition rig
I travel to remote areas of the world very often and know 1st hand that even in those little villages without a gas station, there is someone in a small shack selling diesel in barrels with a hand pump... no matter where you are in the world, diesel is the primary fuel. That alone is worth gold, specially for what most of us are trying to achieve in our builds.

Cons:
- although reliable, when something goes wrong, IT GOES WRONG
- expensive to repair, replace and really to do anything with.

To me, the pros way outweigh the cons, and I also hate having to deal with repairs and random mechanical BS. I just wanna get in my rig and start it (in this case: get in my rig, warm the glow plugs THEN start it) Knowing that even though you have to spend an arm in the leg ONCE for the next 400k miles for something you can depend on that will provide you with multi-purpose uses. I dont know about you guys, but thats very appealing to me.

Diesels - the swiss army knives of engines

Toyota should bring them to America

·
Premium Member
6,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #264 ·
I guess you guys haven't seen this yet...

Forewarned...they are not cheap... Toyota Pricing
We've seen it. Dieseltoys posted it on this forum too. I'll wait for Toyota to offer them as OEM to save the mark-up, or just do it myself.

My brother and I swapped an OBDII 1997 5VZFE into a 1989 Toyota pickup.

Wiring an engine that wasn't designed for the vehicle is a bit of a pain, but if you take your time and know a bit about the systems it isn't impossible. I know in this case it was a gas to gas swap, which saves a lot of the fuel system hassles, but I'd still rather do it myself.

If this 1GR craps out as early as I think it will, and Toyota still doesn't offer a diesel FJ over here, I will highly likely buy a rebuilt D4D and install it in my FJ.

Attachments

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
46,611 Posts
My brother and I swapped an OBDII 1997 5VZFE into a 1989 Toyota pickup.

Umm.....is that why it looks like it was pushed off to the side of the road and left? :cowfrown: :rofl:

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
46,611 Posts
:rofl: Now if our Buddy Joel would just come back and fill us in..... :rofl::rofl:

·
Premium Member
6,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #268 ·
Umm.....is that why it looks like it was pushed off to the side of the road and left? :cowfrown: :rofl:
:lol:

If you had spent as many hours on this truck as we have, you'd be posing the solid axle with some flex for pictures too!

This truck was bone stock about a year ago. It has a newer, low mileage, 24 valve 3.4L engine instead of the 3.slow (3.0) 12 valve, a solid axle, ARB locker front and rear with 4.88 regear, custom interior (with some EP shift knobs and grab handles too), full fiberglass bed and front fenders, custom front driveshaft, and a whole lot of other goodies installed (and in some cases manufactured) by the Ellis brothers.

The conversations often start like this:

"I've never set up a diff, nevermind a locker."
"I think we just need a dial indicator for backlash."
"Oh, I set backlash for gears at BCIT once."
"Well then, let's pull it and see what it looks like."
"Okay, let's do it."

----- a few hours later -----

"I think we need a press the get the bearing races off."
"Looks like, Brian's grandpa has a hydraulic press..."

----- a phone call and a case or two of Brian's grandpa's favorite beer later -----

"See, I told you it wouldn't be that bad, now we just have to run some airlines and put it back in."
"Yep, that was easy. I wonder if the front diff is the same?"
"Only one way to find out. Pass me a 17mm socket and breaker bar!"

:cheers:

·
Premium Member
9,302 Posts
^^. Classic conversation.

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
46,611 Posts
Hi Joel. Glad to see you came back to fill us in. :rofl::rofl: I didn't even notice the fenders on it. It does look good. I've had a few of those conversations myself and most of the time things worked good. It's nice you can get together with your brother and do things like that. After seeing all of the work you've done with the FJ stuff, I have no doubt that you could do anything you put your mind to. :cheers:

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
I don't have my FJ anymore. But if it had a diesel like my 2011 Golf TDI I'd buy one in a heartbeat. :rocker:

·
Premium Member
8,994 Posts
It's nice to see that dieseltoyz finally posted up a diesel install.

I know several Cummins engineers as well as neighbor and my nephew who attended college for diesel mechanics/management and I try and try to convince someone to start a shop around here doing Cummins retrofits in older vehicles but so far no luck.

Having been in Vancouver just a couple weeks ago, I was impressed at how many diesels are on the road. FJoel, do you get more of the diesel choices that Europe is able to get and we are unable to get ?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Holy cow, I haven't posted in 3 years. I have been pushing the TD FJ theme for a long time. Where I live, gas is $8 USD/gallon and diesel is $5 USD/gallon. I won't buy an FJ here for my life, its just too expensive to use even for playing around with. The efficiency is way cool though with the TD. I have a company truck Ford Ranger XLT Hi-rider with a 2.5 TDi. Passing cars at 150 km/hr is a snap, so imagine what a proper FJ with a 4.2 1HZ with turbo could do....plus they get almost 10 km/liter :D. Even if the FJ came with the hilux option of the 3.0L KZ D4D it would be fine.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I drove the Hilux in Costa Rica several times in the 1990s, took it through some gnarly tracks, red mud to the floorboards. I was sold on the offroad capabilities and the 4 doors. (Finally, USA got 4-DR trucks!)
The FJ gives the short wheel base of a Hilux and lower center of gravity. It has to be heavier for crashworthiness, and have emissions contols. Those things cut fuel efficiency.

Diesel is not the answer. The answer is hybrid technology. The big drawback of the FJ is its lack of range, due to smaller gas tank and square shape. My "other car" is a Prius. It will take the FJ down easily in a drag race. The power it gets from combining its little combustion engine with its electric generator is amazing. My battery is warranted for 100,000 miles but it has passed 120,000 miles with no loss of storage power.
Hybrid vehicles are smarter, not less manly. Tell Toyota to build a hybrid FJ. Double your range to 350 or 400 miles on a tank. Take the 100,000 battery warranty down the beach, or up the mountain.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I drove the Hilux in Costa Rica several times in the 1990s, took it through some gnarly tracks, red mud to the floorboards. I was sold on the offroad capabilities and the 4 doors. (Finally, USA got 4-DR trucks!)
The FJ gives the short wheel base of a Hilux and lower center of gravity. It has to be heavier for crashworthiness, and have emissions contols. Those things cut fuel efficiency.

Diesel is not the answer. The answer is hybrid technology. The big drawback of the FJ is its lack of range, due to smaller gas tank and square shape. My "other car" is a Prius. It will take the FJ down easily in a drag race. The power it gets from combining its little combustion engine with its electric generator is amazing. My battery is warranted for 100,000 miles but it has passed 120,000 miles with no loss of storage power.
Hybrid vehicles are smarter, not less manly. Tell Toyota to build a hybrid FJ. Double your range to 350 or 400 miles on a tank. Take the 100,000 battery warranty down the beach, or up the mountain.
Nope. People who want DIESEL want diesel, not hybrid. Torque, torque.. and normal humans can work on it. It will be a cold day in hell before you see someone outfit a hybrid *anything* for expedition purposes.

Oh, and a hybrid means it wont have a stick. For me and my wife, thats a no-sale. For the record though, my email correspondence with Toyota when the FJ was first introduced indicated that they agreed with you. We would be far more likely to get a hybridized FJ than a diesel here in the US.

·
Premium Member
9,302 Posts
A hybrid FJ?

I've now heard it all.

Going to go see if I can find a Prius to line up with now.

·
Registered
61 Posts

So few people seem to understand just how hybrids work. Hybrids are meant to improve low speed fuel economy, city driving. The Prius gets the impressive numbers it does not just because it's a hybrid but because of it's aerodynamics. The hybrid engine increases it's low speed economy but it's high speed economy and range are a result of the aerodynamics of its body design. This is why when they try to make a traditional vehicle design into a hybrid it rarely sees a significant increase if any in it's high speed fuel economy.

Nope. People who want DIESEL want diesel, not hybrid. Torque, torque.. and normal humans can work on it. It will be a cold day in hell before you see someone outfit a hybrid *anything* for expedition purposes.

Oh, and a hybrid means it wont have a stick. For me and my wife, thats a no-sale. For the record though, my email correspondence with Toyota when the FJ was first introduced indicated that they agreed with you. We would be far more likely to get a hybridized FJ than a diesel here in the US.
"Normal" humans can work on hybrids, the designs aren't that impenetrable to comprehend. Also, their have been stick hybrids on the market so it can be done but somehow I doubt the demand will ever be there.

·
Premium Member
437 Posts
It's nice to see that dieseltoyz finally posted up a diesel install.

I know several Cummins engineers as well as neighbor and my nephew who attended college for diesel mechanics/management and I try and try to convince someone to start a shop around here doing Cummins retrofits in older vehicles but so far no luck.

Having been in Vancouver just a couple weeks ago, I was impressed at how many diesels are on the road. FJoel, do you get more of the diesel choices that Europe is able to get and we are unable to get ?
I just came home from a 3 week trip to Ireland and England and both of my rentals were little diesel cars. Each got around 50 MPG. It seems like Diesels were everywhere. The cost of diesel was about .10 or .20 Euro/GBP cheaper as well. Saw lots of Range Rover Diesels. I never saw one FJ period while there.

The other thing when I got home and hopped in the FJ it really felt like a slug after driving the peppy little diesel cars.

·
Premium Member
6,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #280 ·
I was having a discussion about the availability of diesel in a SHTF scenario, and my friend Greg raised an excellent point.

The trucking industry thrives on diesel, and they burn A LOT of fuel. Finding diesel in large quantities in a state of economic collapse is probably more likely then finding a stash of gas. Would anyone agree?

261 - 280 of 282 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.