Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

281 - 282 of 282 Posts

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
30,957 Posts
It would make sense with the truckers. Farmers and ranchers use quite a bit too although a lot of the ranchers here are working with ATVs & side by sides, which are gas, now. I think a lot of it would depend on what type of shtf scenario happened too. Power and electronics knocked out and no repair times in site..........no pumps to get fuel, etc. Bio diesel could be made in some circumstances too. The fuel availability may be better, but then would there be anywhere to go or need/want to go anywhere if the shtf? Mileage doesn't seem to be all that better either over the gas engine according to the guy selling his D4D conversion. Add the big expense of the conversion in and it's kind of not worth it really.

·
Registered
6,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #282
It would make sense with the truckers. Farmers and ranchers use quite a bit too although a lot of the ranchers here are working with ATVs & side by sides, which are gas, now. I think a lot of it would depend on what type of shtf scenario happened too. Power and electronics knocked out and no repair times in site..........no pumps to get fuel, etc. Bio diesel could be made in some circumstances too. The fuel availability may be better, but then would there be anywhere to go or need/want to go anywhere if the shtf? Mileage doesn't seem to be all that better either over the gas engine according to the guy selling his D4D conversion. Add the big expense of the conversion in and it's kind of not worth it really.
I live in the city (and really don't like it, but that is where the jobs and resources are thanks to Vancouver being a big old port) and would definitely want to get out of the city if SHTF. The range of the FJ sucks (especially mine until I start getting these clutch parts installed) and trying to get out would be difficult 350kms at a time.

I would bug out rather than bug in, based on where I live.

The idea of a conversion is okay, but I agree it is not worth it unless the vehicle it is going into has a blown motor, then maybe.

281 - 282 of 282 Posts