Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
21 - 40 of 282 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
I don't need or want a fast truck either, so like carrotzilla said a smaller diesel is the answer (just not too much smaller). The 3.0L TD will do just fine for me, get better MPG's, have buttloads more torque and crawl like a unimog.

But really I don't care. Find some HINO motor and slide her in there. Come on Toyota! Take more of my $$$ and make me an even more hardcore Toyota lover.
True, true. HINO has many an option in the heavy D, especially with low sulfur coming on line. Played with a few of the products of the HINO variety in my current job; surprised that anyone knew that they screwed the FJ together. Respect for my new FJ friend! 3000cc was plenty good for 20+ years, a few more wouldn't hurt.

·
Premium Member
8,988 Posts
I don't need or want a fast truck either, so like carrotzilla said a smaller diesel is the answer (just not too much smaller). The 3.0L TD will do just fine for me, get better MPG's, have buttloads more torque and crawl like a unimog.

But really I don't care. Find some HINO motor and slide her in there. Come on Toyota! Take more of my $$$ and make me an even more hardcore Toyota lover.
I'll second that. Folks have been way to spoiled by cheap gas, high horsepower, and vehicles that are much faster than is necessary. Of course, using the newer Mercedes diesel as an example, they have found that, even though the horsepower is lower, the massive torque can give impressive performance . . . and mileage.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Considering the FJC is based off the LC Prado, the 3L 4 cylinder turbo diesel is already happening in OZ. Toyota does not import it here though. The only question I have would they stick with tradition and call it a BJ Cruiser?

Toyota Prado Australia: Specifications, Brochure, Test Drive: All Terrain 4WD

I'd also ask for more FJ62 NOS parts. It's getting expensive on this side of Cruiser Heaven.

Oh yeah, and FJoel still rocks!

·
Registered
340 Posts
Considering the FJC is based off the LC Prado, the 3L 4 cylinder turbo diesel is already happening in OZ. Toyota does not import it here though. The only question I have would they stick with tradition and call it a BJ Cruiser?

Toyota Prado Australia: Specifications, Brochure, Test Drive: All Terrain 4WD

I'd also ask for more FJ62 NOS parts. It's getting expensive on this side of Cruiser Heaven.

Oh yeah, and FJoel still rocks!
A 3000cc 4 pot? Like the old 944 it must have coffee can pistons! :rocker:

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
A 3000cc 4 pot? Like the old 944 it must have coffee can pistons! :rocker:
Actually pistons the size of manhole covers with torque that'll twist panties into pretzles!

ENGINE
Engine type Diesel
Engine capacity (cc) 2982
Engine description 4cyl/DOHC/4V
Forced induction system Turbo
Maximum Power 127kW @ 3400rpm 170 hp
Maximum Torque 410Nm @ 1600rpm (Thats 302 ft-lbs!!)

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
I would. You guys would get another sale as fast as I could get to my dealer if you put a diesel in an FJ. Turbo diesel would be really nice.

Like the old Hilux Surf. A Turbo blowing right into the intake manifold.

I'd also like to say, that you made the Tacoma too big. Offer a smaller truck like my 89 Toyota "Pickup" that I still have and love, with the same diesel you put in the FJ, and Mel and I would buy it along with the diesel FJ.

We don't need anything so big in the pickup department, and you now have no options for smaller trucks. My buddy was thinking of getting a new pickup, and when we compared the size and price of the Ford Ranger to the Tacoma for a daily driver, weekend dirt bike hauler, and light camping/wheeling rig, the Tacoma loses. Sucks, because I would never drive a Ford but in this case, my buddy made some very good points I can't ignore.
I agree 1000%. Toyota made the newest Tacoma too big. It can't really fit down a normal trail now without being in major fear of body panel damage.

They should have left it alone size wise.

As for diesels.....I'd take a Toyota, Hino, Isuzu (or Fuji Heavy Industries) in a heart beat. Make a big one for the Tundra so it can compete with 1T Cummins/Duramax/IH and a smaller one for the minitruck, 4Runner, FJC, etc. so they get good mileage and have plenty of torque.

JMO,
Sean

·
Registered
340 Posts
Actually pistons the size of manhole covers with torque that'll twist panties into pretzles!
Pretzel panties, what a great name for a bar! I vote yes; at my shop we have a 3500 dually called "tokyo drift" due to the ridiculous amount of torque available unladen on clay roads. Naturally no government resources were abused during accidental torque application.

·
Premium Member
6,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I agree 1000%. Toyota made the newest Tacoma too big. It can't really fit down a normal trail now without being in major fear of body panel damage.

They should have left it alone size wise.

As for diesels.....I'd take a Toyota, Hino, Isuzu (or Fuji Heavy Industries) in a heart beat. Make a big one for the Tundra so it can compete with 1T Cummins/Duramax/IH and a smaller one for the minitruck, 4Runner, FJC, etc. so they get good mileage and have plenty of torque.

JMO,
Sean
:rocker:

Really, my FJ is a little too wide for some trails here, but the folding mirrors and AP rock rails help. I'd have less pin striping on my black paint if it were more like my old Pickup. I also feel the FJ is too wide for me inside, or they skimped on the bolsters on the seats. I get kicked back and forth pretty good, but I blame some of this on me being a little guy.

New seats with 4 point harnesses will help with that... I keeping this thing until the diesel one gets here!

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
:rocker:

Really, my FJ is a little too wide for some trails here, but the folding mirrors and AP rock rails help. I'd have less pin striping on my black paint if it were more like my old Pickup. I also feel the FJ is too wide for me inside, or they skimped on the bolsters on the seats. I get kicked back and forth pretty good, but I blame some of this on me being a little guy.

New seats with 4 point harnesses will help with that... I keeping this thing until the diesel one gets here!
X100. I actually had to park the FJ this past weekend out on the trails because it was taking too much damage because of it's width.

When i end up getting leather, i am going to have the side bolsters widened. At 6'1", 180, they do not contour to me at all. When i wear my down jacket, then it feels like the seat fits me.

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
But why is it around 80 cents more than gas? That's the question we should be asking since it's less refined.

This country is headed for a ****-storm the likes of which we haven't seen in generations.

We are literally going to be starving if diesel prices rise so high that truckers can't make ends meet.

Sorry...off topic.

Sean

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
i think there is a higher tax on diesel that wasn't adjusted accordingly. that and the sulfur emissions thing and the clean diesel raised costs, too.

most people still fail to realize that this 5 bucks a gallon is affecting every bit of our shipping industry, since american freight is mostly carried by diesel trucks and less so by diesel trains.

·
Premium Member
6,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
But why is it around 80 cents more than gas? That's the question we should be asking since it's less refined.

This country is headed for a ****-storm the likes of which we haven't seen in generations.

We are literally going to be starving if diesel prices rise so high that truckers can't make ends meet.

Sorry...off topic.

Sean
Though, I'm not arguing about the fact that someone needs to get a swift kick in the junk regarding the gouging we, the consumer, are forced to tolerate on a daily basis at the pumps.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts

Sorry...off topic.

Sean
Refineries are not set up to produce Diesel fuel at the current (and growing) level of demand. It's not just the tax that's doing it. Diesel fuel (for trucks) is competing with home heating and other oils, etc. Until refineries retool... get used to high diesel prices... they're not going away.

And, while the fuel is significantly more efficient than gasoline, it is not as significant as the price difference - which is about double the percentage (10% more efficient vs. 20% more expensive). So, then you get into the vehicle-specific calculation of mpg vs. cost of diesel motor over traditional vs. fuel cost differential times miles driven... most apples to apples comparisons are north of 50k before the diesel pays off.

Subjective rationale like "Better on the trails"... can't argue with that! Towing... absolutely!

I'd love to have a diesel FJ... even at $5.00/gal... I never said I was rationale. Hell, if any of us were rationale, we'd be driving Highlanders.

·
Premium Member
2,100 Posts
Well first I would have to see it to believe it. I have had several diesels. They are much better now, but get no where what people claim they get for mileage. Pulling power yes, but miles not that I have seen.

With the cost of diesel supposedly being near 7 dollars a gallon by Christmas, I have no need or desire to put the filty noisey things in a good vehicle. If it came down to a reasonable price then I could live with it. Not to mention the value of a diesel is non exsistant after the initial purchase.

I paid 5.45 this morning and at 13 miles to the gallon that is very expensive. It is 2007 GMC Sierra 3500 and has never gotten over 13.3 on the highway, towing my 5th wheel I am lucky to get 9.5, normally closer to 8.

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
Well first I would have to see it to believe it. I have had several diesels. They are much better now, but get no where what people claim they get for mileage. Pulling power yes, but miles not that I have seen.

With the cost of diesel supposedly being near 7 dollars a gallon by Christmas, I have no need or desire to put the filty noisey things in a good vehicle. If it came down to a reasonable price then I could live with it. Not to mention the value of a diesel is non exsistant after the initial purchase.

I paid 5.45 this morning and at 13 miles to the gallon that is very expensive. It is 2007 GMC Sierra 3500 and has never gotten over 13.3 on the highway, towing my 5th wheel I am lucky to get 9.5, normally closer to 8.
You're not seeing the mileage gains b/c of the big 3's "power wars".

When you're punching out 325+hp and 650 ft.-lbs....you don't get very good mileage.

My 02 high output Cummins puts out 245 hp and 505 ft lbs....and gets 20 mpg in town (and I drive like a bat outta hell) 24 on the highway and 20 mpg pulling a 5K lbs trailer at 75. Not bad for a 7800 lb 4x4 truck.

I've looked into the newer body style, newer Cummins trucks b/c I like the added room for passengers that the crew cab and Mega cab provide, but the gas mileage sucks compared to what I have now....all that power comes at a price. My friends with newer trucks are only getting 17 mpg empty on average.

As for efficiencies....diesel is 40-45% efficient compared to 25% efficiency of gasoline internal combustion. At 80 cents a gallon it's becoming a wash....what isnt' disputable is that diesel for towing will be more effective and efficient....which is why I have one. I don't even know my buggy's back there when I'm towing it.

Sean

21 - 40 of 282 Posts