Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'd like to tell Toyota that their service staff are not always honest/ do their job properly. Examples:

1. I had my tire rotation done at the dealership (normally I do that myself) as it was in the middle of a cold winter. When I went back home, for sh** and giggles I decided to see how tight they made my lug nuts. Long story short, with a breaker bar and extension I was able to open one with so much force (I'm 228 pounds build and not weak by any means). I went back to the dealership, gave them a piece of my mind and made them reopen, clean and tighten the nuts with torque wrench in front of me. WHAT IF I WAS OFF-ROADING and the nuts were done by additional force in the middle of no where!? Think about it.

2. I went into water and the computer got wet. The dealership told me the wires and connections show signs of wear and corrosion. They said they need to be changed, ALL of the car's wires. When I asked them to show me, I did not find one damaged connection and nor did they (I'm reporting this to Toyota, as it happened recently).

3. I'm buying a used 2010 FJ with 36,000 on it in a decent shape for a good price (24,000 with 5 years after market warranty). For some reason the car did not seem as responsive and I asked them why? Apparently, the car was not used for a while before it came for a trade in. However, the services were all done on time (they have records). Just to make sure, my dad suggested a compression test. They said that they will show something even better:the power out of each cylinder. They took me in their shop, connected the code reader and were trying to convince me that "0 misfire in all the cylinders" means no compression problem. I gave the guy a weird look but politely said I still want the compression test. Piston and valves integrity can be sacrificed without the engine "misfire"! Although I doubt this FJ would have that problem. I think there might be some water in gas tank, etc.

This is my 2cents. Let me know of your opinion.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Sorry to hear that your dealership service experience sucked. I have had nothing but one star service from my local dealership. I was treated like royalty right up until and seconds after the sale. After that, service has been a joke. I had a thumping noise, not sure where in the back it was, found out later they only finger tight, if that, the spare lugs, it was dangling and banging against the rear door!
I have 13K miles, and don't offroad it. I may not be a Toyota owner if the service does not improve. Which I doubt it will.
Dang do all low level service techs just not take any pride in their job anymore? Where's the quality check or whatever they do before handing the key to the customer after service?

·
Registered
10,293 Posts
I can relate and have had repeated incidents like both of yours......i.e. No transmission fluid upon delivery on new Toyota Tacoma, plug not tightened after oil change and dropped 5 qts, not performing services paid for like tire rotations, spark plug change, etc.

I do all my own maintenance and repairs now, and save thousands. I will only visit the dealer to buy certain parts, and pick up the keys to a new car after negotiating and sealing the deal online on a new FJ. I'll drive mine till it or I die.......even if it becomes an offroad only rig :cheers:

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know exactly what you mean. I ended up making a deposit for 2014 instead of 2010. Well, I was treated with so much respect until that payment was made. The next time I called to ask when I get my ride (still not here) it was as if I am waisting the guy's time! I bought the proper tools ($600)to do all of my sefvices myself. Now Im a guy with all these tools and no physical FJ ! Lol I am sure it will be here anyday and it will be all worth it as we love our FJs

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am not saying all of their staff are not decent but a lot of them should lose their job or improve their service

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
I cant believe in this day and age we still are having to buy from a dealer. When can we just have them shipped to our door?

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Unfortunately, this happens with every make... but not every dealership. Sounds like you were dealing with a bunch of d-bags that wanted to half-azz their way to easy money on their side. Good luck with everything, and I hope you find another dealership that better suits your needs

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
89 Posts
They sound like a shady dealer for sure but fwiw, I've never seen a car with compression problems that didn't have a misfire. The car determines a misfire by the rotation speed of the crank between power strokes. If there is a compression problem there will be a speed deviation after that power stroke that the crank sensor picks up and the vehicle will register a misfire.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts