Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2008 FJ Cruiser 6MT Sunfusion
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just replaced my FJammer with a Pioneer AVH-2550NEX and Idatalink Maestro RR. I have a 2008 6MT. I also added the steering wheel buttons from a 2010 that has the phone controls and it works perfectly. When I flashed the Maestro RR , I flashed it as a 2010 model with the left and right steering wheel buttons.

Everything works as it should except the TPMS display. It shows image of vehicle and 4 tires with N/A shown at all four positions. Any ideas on why the TPMS function isn't working? All other gauges are working properly from the OBD2 feed. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Bibb in San Antonio

·
Premium Member
410 Posts
silly question does the 2008 have TMPS sensors in the wheels.
Also you might have to reflash your maestro a few times , it took 3 times for the wifes 2012 to get all of the stuff and my 2011 took 2 times. her 2007 never had wheel sensors in it.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, my 2008 has 5 channel TPMS. 2008 was the first year that TPMS was mandated by the US government. Gee, reflashing 2-3 times would be a real pain in the A##. I have to remove the radio just to access the Maestro RR box.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, my 2008 has 5 channel TPMS. 2008 was the first year that TPMS was mandated by the US government. Gee, reflashing 2-3 times would be a real pain in the A##. I have to remove the radio just to access the Maestro RR box.
Ok, a call to the Idatalink tech support line helped me solve the problem. There is a "Maestro Module Master Reset" that is accessed through the Pioneer radio tools menu that basically restarts the module but doesn't erase any flashed data. I can now have the tire pressures and temperatures displayed on the Pioneer display. Now I have to go into the setup screen for TPMS tire positions make the data display in the correct tire locations.

I gotta say my customer experience with the Idatalink company has been across the board FANTASTIC. I have called them probably 6 times and every single time got a competent, live person. This includes pre purchase advice and post install tech support. It's rare these days to encounter customer service this good. I really like these and their products. Integration of the Pioneer AVH-2550NEX into the OEM Toyota systems via the Maestro RR works great.

As I mentioned earlier, all my steering buttons including the ones I added to the right side work exactly like they are supposed to. I saw many topics on this forum where it was said it was impossible to add the extra buttons to the older models because the vehicles weren't wired for it. I can absolutely confirm this mod works and that it was plug and play on my 2008 model(built Oct 2007) I simply flashed the Maestro RR as if the vehicle was a 2010 model with phone controls on the right side of the steering wheel. Works perfect. I used Toyota part# 84250-35070 Switch ASSY, Steering. I bought it brand new for $135.99 off eBay from a guy that sells OEM parts for all sorts of asian vehicles.

Bibb in San Antonio

·
Registered
163 Posts
Ok, a call to the Idatalink tech support line helped me solve the problem. There is a "Maestro Module Master Reset" that is accessed through the Pioneer radio tools menu that basically restarts the module but doesn't erase any flashed data. I can now have the tire pressures and temperatures displayed on the Pioneer display. Now I have to go into the setup screen for TPMS tire positions make the data display in the correct tire locations.

I gotta say my customer experience with the Idatalink company has been across the board FANTASTIC. I have called them probably 6 times and every single time got a competent, live person. This includes pre purchase advice and post install tech support. It's rare these days to encounter customer service this good. I really like these and their products. Integration of the Pioneer AVH-2550NEX into the OEM Toyota systems via the Maestro RR works great.

As I mentioned earlier, all my steering buttons including the ones I added to the right side work exactly like they are supposed to. I saw many topics on this forum where it was said it was impossible to add the extra buttons to the older models because the vehicles weren't wired for it. I can absolutely confirm this mod works and that it was plug and play on my 2008 model(built Oct 2007) I simply flashed the Maestro RR as if the vehicle was a 2010 model with phone controls on the right side of the steering wheel. Works perfect. I used Toyota part# 84250-35070 Switch ASSY, Steering. I bought it brand new for $135.99 off eBay from a guy that sells OEM parts for all sorts of asian vehicles.

Bibb in San Antonio
You just saved me a call/email to them. I finished my install last night (12:30AM while the kids slept) and was bummed that the TPMS wasn't working. Just came home from work and found this post and gave the reset a try from the radio menu and what do you know...it works!!

Now to figure out how and why the this thing knows my steering position and how to fix it so it's straight when my wheels are straight as I tapped into the video feed for the backup camera. I was surprised to see that it picked up trajectory steering angles but now annoyed that when my wheels are pointing straight, the lines are pointing left a little.

Two more things I'm noticing that isn't happening is the door open alert and illumination doesn't seem to dim when I turn on the headlights/parking lights (yes orange orange wire is connected)

Maybe I'll call them in a bit while they're still open just not sure what is the Maestro and what is the Kenwood radio controlling the three things mentioned above.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You just saved me a call/email to them. I finished my install last night (12:30AM while the kids slept) and was bummed that the TPMS wasn't working. Just came home from work and found this post and gave the reset a try from the radio menu and what do you know...it works!!

Now to figure out how and why the this thing knows my steering position and how to fix it so it's straight when my wheels are straight as I tapped into the video feed for the backup camera. I was surprised to see that it picked up trajectory steering angles but now annoyed that when my wheels are pointing straight, the lines are pointing left a little.

Two more things I'm noticing that isn't happening is the door open alert and illumination doesn't seem to dim when I turn on the headlights/parking lights (yes orange orange wire is connected)

Maybe I'll call them in a bit while they're still open just not sure what is the Maestro and what is the Kenwood radio controlling the three things mentioned above.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sounds like you must have a newer FJ than mine. My 2008 doesn’t have the steering position interfaced with the backup camera lines. What year do you have?
Bibb in San Antonio

·
Registered
163 Posts
Mine is a 2011.

I ended up calling them and found out that Maestro doesn't pick up the doors since our doors use analog door switches that doesn't run through the CAN system. Illumination on most radios is just the screen dimming so maybe I'm not seeing it...I guess I'll play with it a little more.

Lastly the dynamic steering lines he said for me to call back early during the day to work with an engineer as he was unable to find a beta firmware that talks about fixing the steering lines. The engineers have better access to beta versions of the firmware and or can write a custom one that I can flash which might fix the lines.

I'll post back with where I end up... Sorry to hijack your thread but figured maybe in the future it might help someone else out.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This is all good info so don't worry about "hijacking" my thread. I'm glad part of what I wrote was helpful to you. I had that exact conversation with Maestro about the door switches. The engineer/tech I spoke with indicated that it does go through the CAN system and that there was a fix that involved adding an inline resistor to one of the 3 wires in the Maestro OBD2 plug. I believe it is the "K" wire. The engineer told me Toyotas door /dome light circuitry is kind of unconventional compared to other manufacturers and it took some "fiddling" to get the Maestro to see the signal. Also said it wasn't always successful . I never pursued it because the door open indicator feature just isn't important to me.

The screen not dimming when you turn on the headlights might be how the system preferences of your head unit are set up. I know with my Pioneer there are multiple settings to customize the auto dimming feature. It can be set not to dim at all, dim at a selected window of time, or with turning on the headlights. You can even control the percentage it automatically dims. Almost too many options.

I found the the tech support/customer service to be really top notch. I'm sure you will get it sorted out to your liking.

Also, be aware that running multiple devices via a OBD2 splitter cable can cause some odd effects. I am running a ScanGauge with a OBD2 splitter cable and it causes a delayed shutdown of the radio when I turn off the vehicle. I'm probably going to disconnect the ScanGauge since it is redundant.

Bibb in San Antonio

·
Registered
163 Posts
I called this morning and spoke with an engineer asked him the same series of questions and he sent me a diagnostics firmware to flash on the module then to call them and run through the diagnostic screens with them and read out the findings. This will give them a better idea on what the steering angles readings are and they can go from there. Funny thing is when I start the FJ and put it in reverse, the guide lines are straight but the moment I touch the steering wheel (in either direction) the lines point to the left slightly with the steering wheel straight. If I turn the wheel quarter turn to the right the guide lines are straight and if I continue to the right they'll swing right.

He said the same thing about the illumination/dimmer function...on my Kenwood (if I'm looking at the right option) there is Sync (which it's defaulted to) then On and Off. I tried them but didn't see a difference because it was still daylight out during the early evening hours so I guess I'll try tonight in the garage while I'm working on removing the module to flash. Really wished we could flash it with the harnesses plugged into because if that were the case, I would have plugged in a long mini USB cable and run it to where I could access it with my laptop. Thankfully it's not a huge chore to get the radio out of the dash and then putting it back in as there is plenty of space to tuck the extra wiring in.

He stated similar things about the door alert...said the vehicle has to be going over 5 or 10mph and alert pops up on the radio if a door is open. He also said that on the vehicle info screen it could should that the drivers door is open when any of the doors are open but in my FJ'S case that doesn't happen. Like you said not a big deal plus the dome light and the light in the gauges should be enough to get someone's attention.

And yes thank you for you post... very helpful!! In return I took pictures of the three wires I tapped into for the factory backup camera which took two or three threads to read and compile the info so I'll create a separate thread detailing it out...kind of a one stop for someone in the future.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts