Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It occurred to me that possibly making the rear suicide door slide back like a mini-van would make it easier in parking lot situations. anyone else agree?

·
Registered
645 Posts
If you have room to open the front door, isn't there automatically plenty of room for the rear, since it sticks out about 2-3 feet less?

On a more practical note... The lack of a b-pillar between the front and rear doors is part of the reason for the massive c-pillar. Needed for roll-over safety. Not sure they could do a sliding door and retain the needed c-pillar strength.

Just my $0.02. :)

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
The problem is not that you can't open the back door when there is a car next to you. It's that will both doors open you're boxed in with no way to get out.

·
Premium Member
2,456 Posts
It sounds good, but if you look at a minivan you will notice there is a track that runs the rear length of the van. You would have to create that track. No small task.
That was my first thought too. It is a neat idea though: I'd like to see it done.

·
Registered
54 Posts
How about a slightly longer true 4 door??
As Jeep did!

This would let the 4runner be a unibody grocery getter (as we all know is coming) and leave a true 4 door body on frame, off-road suv for us purists.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
The problem is not that you can't back door when there is a car next to you. It's that will both doors open you're boxed in with no way to get out.
Actually that is not true....years ago when Chevrolet showed concepts of the extended cab pick up trucks with 3rd doors, the design was very similar to what is described.

I will see if I can dig up some pictures, it was a cool and functional design.

Doc

·
Registered
510 Posts
...Wow

·
Registered
358 Posts
meh, i just make the kids get out through the back door, lol, just kidding, we've had our moments of getting boxed in there, especially when the kiddos have backpacks, there's no easy way out...

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
The problem is not that you can't open the back door when there is a car next to you. It's that will both doors open you're boxed in with no way to get out.
Actually that is not true....years ago when Chevrolet showed concepts of the extended cab pick up trucks with 3rd doors, the design was very similar to what is described.

I will see if I can dig up some pictures, it was a cool and functional design.

Doc
Are you quoting the right person Doc? Because you can't tell me my statement is not true. I've been trapped between the doors several times. If you're empty handed it's not a problem but if you've got something to carry like a box, laundry basket, several shopping bags, baby in a carrier or another person there's no way to maneuver out of the way to get the suicide door closed.
I can't say I'm advocating for the minivan doors, just agreeing that the design can be a problem in certain situations.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Are you quoting the right person Doc? Because you can't tell me my statement is not true. I've been trapped between the doors several times. If you're empty handed it's not a problem but if you've got something to carry like a box, laundry basket, several shopping bags, baby in a carrier or another person there's no way to maneuver out of the way to get the suicide door closed.
I can't say I'm advocating for the minivan doors, just agreeing that the design can be a problem in certain situations.
Car seat, easy, I pul it out the back, set it in the front seat, close the rear door, and grab my stuff and walk off. I can see where the rear door can be an inconvenience, but I have yet to be boxed in even in situations where I'm so close to the car next to me I can't even let the door all the way out. But I am also a slender guy. I can see where larger people would have trouble. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Car seat, easy, I pul it out the back, set it in the front seat, close the rear door, and grab my stuff and walk off. I can see where the rear door can be an inconvenience, but I have yet to be boxed in even in situations where I'm so close to the car next to me I can't even let the door all the way out. But I am also a slender guy. I can see where larger people would have trouble. :bigthumb:
I was guessing on the car seat, I have no kids. I'm slim too and have done the trick of moving things up onto the driver seat. But I know there have been a few occasions where I couldn't get out with my stuff in my parking garage... it must have been the laundry basket. If there's a car on the other side too I think I've had to throw my **** over the back seat and get it out of the cargo area.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
It sounds good, but if you look at a minivan you will notice there is a track that runs the rear length of the van. You would have to create that track. No small task.
No, I was quoting the reply above

I have had no luck finding a picture but it was when the initially started adding doors to extracabs

Doc

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
...This would let the 4runner be a unibody grocery getter (as we all know is coming) and leave a true 4 door body on frame, off-road suv for us purists.
I disagree. Unlike the U.S. Domestic manufacturers, Toyota has managed to keep the 4Runner as body-on-frame because they have the Highlander to satisfy the Unibody SUV market demand.

I think it's much more likely that the 4Runner would simply go away altogether before Toyota would re-engineer it as a Unibody and try to sell it alongside the Highlander. The Highlander has enough brand-recognition now as their 'comfy' mid-sizer that I don't feel they would drop it. None of these scenarios makes sense $$-wise except for the 4Runner just going away.

Nissan has a similar situation now with the Xterra/Pathfinder.

:cheers:

·
Registered
194 Posts
I disagree. Unlike the U.S. Domestic manufacturers, Toyota has managed to keep the 4Runner as body-on-frame because they have the Highlander to satisfy the Unibody SUV market demand.

I think it's much more likely that the 4Runner would simply go away altogether before Toyota would re-engineer it as a Unibody and try to sell it alongside the Highlander. The Highlander has enough brand-recognition now as their 'comfy' mid-sizer that I don't feel they would drop it. None of these scenarios makes sense $$-wise except for the 4Runner just going away.

Nissan has a similar situation now with the Xterra/Pathfinder.

:cheers:
If they made the 4skin in an MT I would have bought that instead, more than likely.. Primarily because I need more seating and space.. The 3rd row seat add on in the FJ is just going to use up all of my available cargo space.. Oh well, I guess I'll be hauling a camper one day, so it won't matter too much.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts