Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Mornin' All,

Maybe this idea has been hashed out long before my arrival, but in another post of mine, taltyman mentioned something I thought had enormous potential.

When I park in a parking lot and there is an empty FJ I usually stick a handwritten note on the windshield inviting them to this forum. Not sure if it has done any good though. A card similar to a baseball trading card with forum info might be better but I haven't had time to make one up.
I have access to a full-color print shop and do quite a bit of graphic design, so I could whip up a few thousand business-card sized forum calling cards, then set up a website for folks to grab some from. I wouldn't charge anything except maybe the 75 cents in postage to mail a small stack off to someone. My thoughts are:

• Business Card Size
  • Full-color front image of a member's FJ voted to be best out of all submissions (kinda like a photo contest and changed every so often).
  • White logo knocked out of the front image.
  • Black & White info on the back side.
  • A line to write one's forum name on the back.
  • U/V and scratch-coated for durability when placed under someone's wiper blade.

So, I'd like to hear your thoughts. Good idea? Dumb idea?
Thoughts?

Howls,
FJ Wolf

·
Registered
835 Posts
I like the idea. In todays grab it now society, perhaps you could add a link to a site where we could print our own?

It would be nice if we could input our info before printing (like real business cards).

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Sounds like a good idea, many of my local clubs have these type of cards, and they happen to work well, especially when you encounter a new FJ owner!

·
Premium Member
3,257 Posts
Seeing as I'm just a few days from leaving for Ouray, I'm going to print some up at home before going.

But, I agree with the others; it's a great idea, and I too have used them in other clubs. It would be nice to have a uniform card for this forum.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Mornin' All,

Maybe this idea has been hashed out long before my arrival, but in another post of mine, taltyman mentioned something I thought had enormous potential.

I have access to a full-color print shop and do quite a bit of graphic design, so I could whip up a few thousand business-card sized forum calling cards, then set up a website for folks to grab some from. I wouldn't charge anything except maybe the 75 cents in postage to mail a small stack off to someone. My thoughts are:

• Business Card Size
  • Full-color front image of a member's FJ voted to be best out of all submissions (kinda like a photo contest and changed every so often).
  • White logo knocked out of the front image.
  • Black & White info on the back side.
  • A line to write one's forum name on the back.
  • U/V and scratch-coated for durability when placed under someone's wiper blade.

So, I'd like to hear your thoughts. Good idea? Dumb idea? If there is any interest, I'll toss up a mock-up example.

Thoughts?

Howls,
FJ Wolf
To eliminate any costs you might have associated with this, maybe Toyota would be willing to foot the bill for it. It wouldn't be that expensive for them, especially with a Forum Member doing the design and such. Just a thought!

·
Premium Member
7,063 Posts
I have a lot of Trail Team cards left over. I've been using those. :)

M

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
The SoCal group has already made cards. It's a great way to invite new people. I'll see if I can take a pic of mine when I get home.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
That's really thoughtful of you. I had a big o' smile on my face as I read the beginning of the post because I happen to do the same thing! Also, when I do see another FJ in the parking lot I try to park as close as I can. Just the other day at the gym I parked directly in front of another FJ. :) hehe

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
:) I remember him posting about putting his paws in the water and wonder if we'd be a friendly group. :lol:

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
:) I remember him posting about putting his paws in the water and wonder if we'd be a friendly group. :lol:
LOL - Indeed. Yep, you folks are good to go. This place is great! As I read through all the posts here and note all the things -I- used to do when I had my xterra - like park next to other ones, etc. It is nice to know that kind of thing isn't dead - and I look forward to doing the same with my FJ.

As for the cards - I figured that would be something folks have done in the past already. So, here's my thought. I'll go ahead and make a quick example and throw it up for comments. Once we settle in on a design, I'll take it over to my friends business and whip out a couple thousand of them and put up a website where you can request some. No charge - I'm just doing it because it's a fun thing to do, and who knows - I think it'd be cool as hell to one day come out to my FJ and find one on MY windshield. :bigthumb:

For those of you asking about places to get your own done with your pre-printed information, I can't do those here without some fee, but there are numerous places on the web that do that for really cheap rates (anything from free to $20 per 250). The reason I can't do them in that way is that if I go ask my packmate to run me 5000-10,000 full-color cards of the same style - he'd be like ok man, cool. If I asked him for 250 x 50 people - he'd be like, "yeah, lemme tell you where to put those."

So - if you do want a set of personalized cards, but don't have the time or ability to design them, what I will do is design them for you at no charge and give you the file in the format necessary to give to one of these online print-shops. If you ARE graphically saavy, I will also compile a list of online printing places that seem "on the level" and post it here for you to shop.

Now - for my example, I need a really awesome FJ action shot. If you'd like to enter one, feel free to email it to me. Please make sure it is high resolution, and if it is a JPG, please be sure it is a "high quality" or "maximum quality" JPG (referring to the compression type). If you don't know what that means - just PM me and I'll fill you in.

Off we go. I may be new and wet behind the FJ ears, but I will try to contribute whatever I can to the community whenever I can. I do have a few mods on tap that should be pretty cool, useful and original, and I'll share those with lots of photos as my budget permits.

In addition to the cards, I will also be doing some custom vinyl decals and such for the community. I just got all the info from the forum gods about fees and signup procedures, so as soon as I get a little further along in that concept, I'll pony up the ching to be a vendor here and post all about it.

Howls,
FJ Wolf

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
"I think it'd be cool as hell to one day come out to my FJ and find one on MY windshield."

:) Awesome man. You're really humble. And that would really be neat to see on our windshield throughout the states, while knowing it all started in this thread.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
I feel the card would be a great thing to have. I might even be able to get some of the tight ass'ed guy's around here, ( won't even give the wave,- seem's like , when they see another FJ heading their way they look at the passenger side floor or something.???) I live in an area what you would call "YUPPI". "I'm too cool for that" kind of thing. I would stick the cards in every FJ wiper I see, even at the dealership. I wish I could live somewhere with normal people. Send me a PM & I'll give you my address, I'll pay the shipping & be happy to spread the word of the "FORUM". Too bad I didn't see this earlier,- I'm going to the Bloomsburg 4X4 Jambree this weekend, I could have passed out a few. OH, & BTW,- Just read your last post... I do think you'll fit in just nicely here. You sound like a damn good guy, looking to get a few of the card's, just wish I had'em for this weekend.... oh well. Good Luck with the FJ, don't think you'll have too many complaint's. Color? Mod.'s? Wish list?

·
Kajun Kim
5,488 Posts
I have actually been thinking about this ALOT lately. I have been passing out my business cards and just putting my personal cell phone number on the back. I have been thinking that a forum logo on the front with our personal info could be VERY useful!

I like it!

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok, here is a quick example of what I was thinking. Please give honest opinions and critique the design. I am a thick-skinned wolf, so if you think it should look different, have different text, have a different layout - say so. The best way to improve something is to throw it to the brutal critics and take the best ideas from all of them and improve the design.

The power of the wolf is in the pack, not the one... The Pack Philosophy. :)

Thanks to FJamming for the example photo. He jumped on my offer right away.

Howls,
FJ Wolf

·
Registered
5,078 Posts
What a great idea!! When I was growing up we used to have cb radios as the big fun thing, and we would send back and forth QSL cards with info about our station and call sign etc.. Good idea for sure...

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
I just had another thought. It seems that several folks that have responded to this thread have a strong desire for "personalized" cards. So what do you think of this...

If you like the design above. What if I were to be an "intermediary" for one of those online quick-print places? I would put up a website where you could enter your shipping information, forum name, and upload a photo of YOUR FJ. I would then add your name to the back as shown and replace the front image with one you upload. Then I would place the order and upload a custom layout to the company on your behalf, passing the cost of printing on to you. The cards would be shipped directly to the address you supplied in a few days. You would pay me via PayPal (credit card, bank acct, etc).

-OR-

I could design the card and email you the files to submit to whatever printing site yourself, thus skipping the payment to me step. That may be even better yet as you could control your own reprints, edit the file, etc.

Otherwise, my original idea would be for us to submit photos, then vote on the best one. That one would be used in the card, and you would write your forum name on the back as shown in the example. I would print off 5000 or so of them. Those would be sent out to you free of charge because I can get a run of full-color cards done from a packmate at no cost to me. Then, when the first run is gone, we'll vote for another photo and do additional 5000qty runs to keep the cards fresh and new regularly. I'd have to ask for a small amount of ching for future runs since I'd be charged for those.

Ya know, this could be a whole lot of fun! I am already thinking my local Toyota dealership will jump all over this and love to hand them out to new owners, etc.

Thoughts?

Howls,
FJ Wolf

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Me likey Me likey !!!!! looks good wolf !!! Great Idea.. I have often wanted to get something like this started..

Put me on the list

:thinkerg:Good idea WOlf:bigthumb:

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I remained behind another FJ today while I was driving to work. :) He was speeding. :( Perhaps I frightened him with my ARB bumper with all its lights on. hehehe

1 - 20 of 37 Posts