Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So for the past few weeks I've been driving around the 4x4 shops in my area trying to find rock sliders. and i ended up with nothing, i wish i was living in the US so i can buy sliders with a click of a button :mecry:

shipping from the US to middle east will cost double the price of the sliders.

after losing hope, i thought i should try and build it in my garage, my buddy is very talented with metal fabrication and he will help me.

now I'm fishing for ideas, designs, anyone who built their own sliders can chime in and help.

today i was stuck at work and instead of playing a game on my iPhone i pulled my laptop and doodled a few designs.

PROTOTYPE 1:

PROTOTYPE 2:

PROTOTYPE 3:

PROTOTYPE 4:

Anyone can chime in and give me new ideas, comments, pros/cons, what to avoid ... etc.

Cheers :rocker:
Ricky

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
So for the past few weeks I've been driving around the 4x4 shops in my area trying to find rock sliders. and i ended up with nothing, i wish i was living in the US so i can buy sliders with a click of a button :mecry:

shipping from the US to middle east will cost double the price of the sliders.

after losing hope, i thought i should try and build it in my garage, my buddy is very talented with metal fabrication and he will help me.

now I'm fishing for ideas, designs, anyone who built their own sliders can chime in and help.

Anyone can chime in and give me new ideas, comments, pros/cons, what to avoid ... etc.

Cheers :rocker:
Ricky
You haven't included the portion of the sliders that mounts to the frame, and from both a design and a fab standpoint, that's by far the most difficult part.

All the bolt holes in the mounting plates need to be accurately positioned within a few mm, and the faces of all the mounting plates need to be co-planar to within less than a mm to avoid distorting the frame when the mounting bolts are tightened. To do all this would require building fixtures that clamp all the individual parts in the correct position for welding.

You absolutely do NOT want to weld anything to the frame; you must bolt the sliders on, using the weld-nuts already installed in the frame rails.

Trust me, even if paying 2X the "US" price of a pair of sliders, you will still be far ahead of trying to fab them locally from scratch.

Personally, I really like the "kick-out" sliders from AllPro (same sliders sold by purefjcruiser.com).

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think that #1 looks the best, and would be indestructible if the right materials were used.

Would definitely stick with one of the kickout designs.
i actually loved that one. will shop for materials today and hopefully my metal head buddy knows what he's doing.

I really like the Metaltech sliders. Only change i would make would be adding about 1.5"-2" to the width of the kick out.
im in love with MT sliders, but i had the same note on the kick out width. before i start I'm gonna take measurements and ace the width.

thanks man.

You haven't included the portion of the sliders that mounts to the frame, and from both a design and a fab standpoint, that's by far the most difficult part.

All the bolt holes in the mounting plates need to be accurately positioned within a few mm, and the faces of all the mounting plates need to be co-planar to within less than a mm to avoid distorting the frame when the mounting bolts are tightened. To do all this would require building fixtures that clamp all the individual parts in the correct position for welding.

You absolutely do NOT want to weld anything to the frame; you must bolt the sliders on, using the weld-nuts already installed in the frame rails.

Trust me, even if paying 2X the "US" price of a pair of sliders, you will still be far ahead of trying to fab them locally from scratch.

Personally, I really like the "kick-out" sliders from AllPro (same sliders sold by purefjcruiser.com).
yeah, that portion is what makes this job a pain in the rear. and honestly thats the only thing that scares me.

but my buddy told me that he will take care of it. I'm gonna try my luck, if it didn't work, ill pay the 600$ shipping bill and call it a day. :mecry:

:rocker:
Thanks everyone

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Might just be the doodles, but if they are going to be made from square tube, use #2 .

If using round tube, make up a nice set of kick-out sliders
its gonna be #1 .. we will be working with a 2" tube :rocker: but for the middle triangles, we will use a flat steel bars.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
I just realized I misread your original post ... I thought you meant the shipping cost would double the cost of the sliders, but you actually mean triple the cost.

·
Premium Member
3,955 Posts
Make all your frame mounts separately, bolt them to the frame, then tack your sliders to the frame mounts. Remove all, weld up. You should have a close fit.

Kick out sliders are not designed for tight trails. If your in the desert no big deal.

Good luck and we want some progress pictures

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
Make all your frame mounts separately, bolt them to the frame, then tack your sliders to the frame mounts. Remove all, weld up. You should have a close fit.

Kick out sliders are not designed for tight trails. If your in the desert no big deal.

yes, bolt then tack then weld

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

yes, bolt then tack then weld

yeah thats the plan, I'm still shopping for materials. so once I'm done ill post pics for sure.

thanks everyone :rocker:

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just realized I misread your original post ... I thought you meant the shipping cost would double the cost of the sliders, but you actually mean triple the cost.
exactly, the shipping cost alone will set me back around 600-800$. because they calculate the dimensional weight, not the actual weight.

·
Registered
282 Posts

Not to knock you down or anything but this can actually be achieved quite easily if you are creative. build plates drill holes then bolt. continue by tacking on the support bars to plates then finally tack the already constructed slider onto the supports then go back and strengthen the welds.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Not to knock you down or anything but this can actually be achieved quite easily if you are creative. build plates drill holes then bolt. continue by tacking on the support bars to plates then finally tack the already constructed slider onto the supports then go back and strengthen the welds.
You've just shifted the alignment problem from one place to another; you still need to fixture the parts to ensure proper alignment.

Bolting the mounting plates onto the frame first makes them all coplanar (you're using the frame as the alignment fixture for the mounting plates).

However, now you've got to make sure that the ends of all the support tubes are coplanar, with the same bevel angle so the ends of all the tubes simultaneously contact all the mounting plates. You don't want to be "filling up" gaps with weld bead.

In the end it probably all depends on your workmanship standards, and if you want to have something that "looks like" sliders, or something that's strong enough to withstand rock impacts and function as a jacking point.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts