Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

281 - 289 of 289 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
5/12/19: Installed a Derale 13212 power steering fluid cooler, with Magnefine magnetic filter on the return line. Also changed the fluid with Valvoline MaxLife synthetic ATF. Almost certainly overkill for my typical usage, but still a fun worthwhile project.
This has been on my list a while. I was surprised how hot the fluid gets when wheeling at low speed in technical spots. I learned this after having a leak on my return line this past spring.

Love your build.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Changed the fluids in the rear/front diffs, transfer case, and manual transmission a couple weeks ago. In the process, noticed the driver's side inside CV boot was split and throwing grease. Tried to patch the small split, but it only held for about 10 days before it started spewing grease again. Had a trusted shop install a new CV axle yesterday, and kept the OEM axle for a rebuilt backup.

Also decided to paint my skids while they were off. Going from anodized orange to metallic dark gray.

While I've got the skids off, I'm going to clean the underside and Fluid Film everything this weekend.
I'm assuming IDFJ is for Idaho. Are you in Boise by chance? What is your trusted shop? Looking to have some work done in the near future and curious who you use if you're in the area.

·
Premium Member
2,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #283
I'm assuming IDFJ is for Idaho. Are you in Boise by chance? What is your trusted shop? Looking to have some work done in the near future and curious who you use if you're in the area.
I am in Boise. What kind of work are you considering? For routine maintenance things that you don't want to do yourself, check out TuneTech on 12th/State. Been taking vehicles there for years. They have done cv axles, shock installs, etc. for me, when I needed a hand.

For 4x4 upgrades/gears/suspension issues, TuneTech may be able to help. I've had mixed experiences with Bucks 4x4 (local). Honestly, I trust 4Wheel Parts (national chain) more than Bucks.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Oh nice - its an awesome place to own an FJ! Well, just an awesome place to live as well.

Honestly I'm not a gear head by any means, but that is part of why I got an FJ. To learn and be able to do a lot of the work myself. I'm interested in maybe a 2-3" lift with new suspension to start. Maybe some upgraded armor underneath. Still doing my research on what I want to do with it. Its pretty damn capable stock, and I don't feel the need to go overboard. Just received a new Android Head Unit today, need that bluetooth to take calls for work, so I'll be doing that install when I'm done with work today.

Thats interesting, I've heard that a few times now about Bucks. I'll look into TuneTech, thanks. Not far from home for me.

·
Registered
879 Posts
I am in Boise. What kind of work are you considering? For routine maintenance things that you don't want to do yourself, check out TuneTech on 12th/State. Been taking vehicles there for years. They have done cv axles, shock installs, etc. for me, when I needed a hand.

For 4x4 upgrades/gears/suspension issues, TuneTech may be able to help. I've had mixed experiences with Bucks 4x4 (local). Honestly, I trust 4Wheel Parts (national chain) more than Bucks.
4 Wheel Parts by Cabelas did my suspension install. I was initially pretty happy with the job they did. On the stuff they carry, their pricing is as good as anything on the internet. Then when I took off my front skid I figured out that they had apparently lost one of the bolts for my original bling plate. They forced a non-metric bolt into the threads without saying anything. When I replaced the rear springs, I noticed that they mounted the rear shocks in such a way that the tubes to the reservoirs rubbed on the frame. I was able to adjust them so they wouldn't rub through.

I'm not sure Buck's even knows what a Toyota is. You never see anything but Jeeps at the shop or on their Instagram feed.

·
トヨタ Master
6,159 Posts
4 Wheel Parts by Cabelas did my suspension install. I was initially pretty happy with the job they did. On the stuff they carry, their pricing is as good as anything on the internet. Then when I took off my front skid I figured out that they had apparently lost one of the bolts for my original bling plate. They forced a non-metric bolt into the threads without saying anything. When I replaced the rear springs, I noticed that they mounted the rear shocks in such a way that the tubes to the reservoirs rubbed on the frame. I was able to adjust them so they wouldn't rub through.

I'm not sure Buck's even knows what a Toyota is. You never see anything but Jeeps at the shop or on their Instagram feed.
Yeah, 4wheel parts is pretty sloppy. I'd compare them to McDonald's. The employees make crap wages and it shows in their quality. Kinda like ordering that Big Mac and all the "meat" is offset to one side of the bun, special sauce maybe takes up half of the sandwich, and after you eat it, you feel like an a$$ bag. :lol:

·
Premium Member
2,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #287
Yeah, 4wheel parts is pretty sloppy. I'd compare them to McDonald's. The employees make crap wages and it shows in their quality. Kinda like ordering that Big Mac and all the "meat" is offset to one side of the bun, special sauce maybe takes up half of the sandwich, and after you eat it, you feel like an a$$ bag. :lol:
And I still trust 4WP more than Bucks (Boise local shop).

In short, Boise does not really have a reputable off-road shop. I drove all the way to MetalTech in Newberg, OR to have my suspension lift installed 6 years ago. I've heard there are some good shops in the Salt Lake area, so I'd consider making that drive if I had a serious project.

·
トヨタ Master
6,159 Posts
And I still trust 4WP more than Bucks (Boise local shop).

In short, Boise does not really have a reputable off-road shop. I drove all the way to MetalTech in Newberg, OR to have my suspension lift installed 6 years ago. I've heard there are some good shops in the Salt Lake area, so I'd consider making that drive if I had a serious project.
Like our town, I figure Boise just isn't large enough to support a full time off road shop that isn't dedicated to Heeps, so that sucks. I wish I could do that all day long but we would never survive. It's probably like that there too.

281 - 289 of 289 Posts