Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

181 - 200 of 206 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Do we have a final verdict on the Gates kit tensioner pulley?

Can I just use the tensioner pulley from the Gates kit without needing to replace the entire tensioner assembly?

Seems like replacing the entire tensioner assembly adds hours to the "replace all pulleys" task...

·
Registered
2,498 Posts

Can I just use the tensioner pulley from the Gates kit without needing to replace the entire tensioner assembly?

Seems like replacing the entire tensioner assembly adds hours to the "replace all pulleys" task...
That depends on how taught your current tensioner is keeping the belt. If there is a good amount of slack/play, I would replace the entire component. It honestly only takes about an hour to do every pulley and the tensioner. If you look up how to remove the alternator, you'll be able to get the tensioner out fairly easily.

·
Premium Member
6,489 Posts

The only reason to replace the tensioner is if it has failed. Otherwise, just the pulley.

DEWFPO

·
Registered
48 Posts
Thought I would update this thread incase someone ends up trying to replace the tensioner bearings. On my 2014 the tensioner uses 2x 6203 bearings, not the single 5203 mentioned elsewhere.

Stock vs 5203

Attachments

·
Registered
391 Posts
Can someone measure tne pulley bushing inner and outer diameter (mm) on these aftermarket pulleys? I think I found a source for just the bushing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello, forum!

I'm new here and this is my first post. Love all the images and info, but need some help identifying a part. I just put in a NEW alternator in my FJ 2007 Cruiser and can't seem to recall where the part in my attached images goes. Can anyone ID this part or give me some idea as to where might be inserted. I recall that it was one of the first pieces that I took off, but that is all that I can recall. Any help would be greatly appreciated?

Thanks!

Oz

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Thought I would update this thread incase someone ends up trying to replace the tensioner bearings. On my 2014 the tensioner uses 2x 6203 bearings, not the single 5203 mentioned elsewhere.

Stock vs 5203
so, are you saying the bearing on the tensioner pulley is the 6203 version (and just one is required?)

·
Premium Member
441 Posts
Hello, forum!

I'm new here and this is my first post. Love all the images and info, but need some help identifying a part. I just put in a NEW alternator in my FJ 2007 Cruiser and can't seem to recall where the part in my attached images goes. Can anyone ID this part or give me some idea as to where might be inserted. I recall that it was one of the first pieces that I took off, but that is all that I can recall. Any help would be greatly appreciated?

Thanks!

Oz
You'll find your mystery part in the 4th image in this thread http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/stereo-electronics-electrical/138547-alternator-removal-brush-cleaning-reinstall.html

·
Registered
48 Posts
so, are you saying the bearing on the tensioner pulley is the 6203 version (and just one is required?)
On my 2014, the tensioner pulley uses two 6203 bearings. You can take the pulley off and see the part # on the bearing seal, it wont exactly match an off the shelf part number, but it will get you the universal part number, ie 6203.

My stock bearings had part # 6203DUL1B

·
Registered
391 Posts
i think you missed the last part which said 2x 6203 bearings. You need two 6203 bearings to replace the single 5203 bearing. And once you do it, it will look like this. The black pulley was blasted, painted and two new SKF bearings installed. The bearings can be found on ebay for $5 each and the bearing you installed will be high quality, unlike the chinese crap in all the aftermarket replacement pulleys you can get off the shelf. You dont need to repaint it.

OP there is no such thing as a "sealed" bearing in the sense that water cannot get in. Sealed just means there is a rubber cover which keeps the grease inside and external lubrication is not needed. The inner race is stationary and the outer race spins. There will always be a gap for water to penetrate the bearing. If you drive under water frequently, plan on buying a dozen bearings and replace them when they start to squeal.

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
Can the pulley on the belt tensioner be replaced easily without changing the entire tensioner assembly? Meaning, can you just unbolt the old pulley and bolt on the new one?

·
Registered
391 Posts
Can the pulley on the belt tensioner be replaced easily without changing the entire tensioner assembly? Meaning, can you just unbolt the old pulley and bolt on the new one?
Yes. Just remember the bolt is reverse threaded. To remove the bolt, turn clockwise. Since there is no torque spec. I used 30 lbs ft. Same as the upper pulleys. You can add a drop of blue loctite if you need assurance

·
Registered
11 Posts
I give 71gs3504sp credit for this find ... the Febest 0187-GRJ200 pulley appears to be a direct replacement for the tensioner pulley. It may be a while before I install it for fitment but thus far, it appears to be a match. The bearing is the same size as OEM - 17 X 40 X 17.5, and the outside dimensions of the pulley match OEM. The issue is quality - the pulley is made in China and the bearing has no markings, an indicator of a low quality bearing. I would buy a quality bearing to press into the OEM pulley, but if the pulley is damaged, this Febest would be a viable option.

Febest next to my OEM tensioner pulley with a Nachi bearing.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
Thanks @Pumbaa and anyone that contributed. Just used a Gates kit because I'm lazy and the days are 90°+ here so knocking out bearings is the last thing I want to do. I didn't want a 1 hour job turning into a 6 hour job so I used the tensioner pulley from the aftermarket bracket and it's about 2mm taller than the OEM pullies (leads me to believe the bracket may mount inwards 2mm). No problems thus far. I'm going to polish up my stock ones on my free time and do the aftermarket bearings then. Thanks to your guys searching and testing. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
503 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have the same question. If possible, I intend on keeping the original tensioner assembly and replacing just the pulley, or the pulley bearing itself.
For a 2007, Can anyone definitively confirm if the tensioner pulley can be replaced w/out removing the entire tensioner assembly, and if so identify the the pulley and/or bearing?
Thanks!

·
Premium Member
6,489 Posts
Yes the pulley can be replaced without removing the tensioner. I purchased the 4 Gates pulleys listed at the beginning of this thread.

DEWFPO

181 - 200 of 206 Posts