·
Registered
131 Posts
Hi all
Just to get it clear to me ,i have just ordered the 3 bearings from rock auto

Two Upper Pulleys (#2): 36173 Product Detail Page
One Lower Pulley (#1): 36174 Product Detail Page
Tensioner: 38411
WHAT I WANT TO KNOW IS are they the right size on the inside or do i need to put a sleeve,if i do what the best way to do it .

Yes got sea water and sand in them !! mybe they better put NOT WATER PROOF on the car some where see how meny the sell then (i love my fj but man thats dum) :thinkerg:

·
Registered
131 Posts
I have an '08 and the new pulleys were the right size (no adjustments needed). It was a very straight-forward process following his directions. The only real pain (for me) was getting to the bolts on the AC compressor.

Hi
thanks for that is good to know ,my bearings went bad a long way from home so i found one bearing and the other two i cleaned up and put grease inside by pulling back the cover and pushing the grease with a pin ,put them back and got 1500km back to home .mybe good to know too .

·
Registered
306 Posts
Are the compressor and alternator removed to allow access to the bottom pulley? Great thread! I am going to be replacing mine soon, i was not sure if it is possible to get to the bottom without removing the compressor/alternator. I was curious as to why the alternator/compressor needed to be removed. Mine is making a very faint sound so, I will try to determine which pulley it is, I suspect it may be one of the top pulleys, those look to be easy enough to change.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Yeah. The compressor is literally bolted against the idler assembly. You HAVE to remove the compressor BOLTS and then you can leave the compressor dangling (off to the side) to replace the idler assembly. The compressor bolts are a MAJOR PITA!
Got it thanks! I'm going to start with the three pulleys and go from there. What is odd is that mine do not make noise often, once in a while. After reading this thread, I figure I may as well replace the pulleys to be on the safe side.

Thanks again for the response!

·
Premium Member
6,503 Posts
Yes, you only needed the pulley, not the mounting bracket.

DEWFPO

·
Registered
190 Posts
I have an 07 with 90k and I'm thinking about changing the serpentine belt (still the original), pulleys, water pump, and alternator, I don't have any issues or weird sounds coming from the engine, what do yall recommend?

·
Premium Member
6,503 Posts
I have an 07 with 90k and I'm thinking about changing the serpentine belt (still the original), pulleys, water pump, and alternator, I don't have any issues or weird sounds coming from the engine, what do yall recommend?
Do you drive thru very deep water or mud?

If you don't have any of the typical squealing noises, then I would just replace the belt. When you have the belt off, check each of the pulleys including the water pump and alternator for smooth movement, no wobble or any unusual noises. If all is well, install the new belt and be on your way. If one of the pulleys is going bad, replace all 4. I wouldn't touch the water pump or alternator unless you are having obvious problems. They are not typical maintenance items.

DEWFPO

Reactions: Sanderhawk

·
Registered
643 Posts
Just change the belt, but don't buy the new one from Toyota. They charge like $90 plus shipping for an FJ belt. You can get an excellent Gates belt which is as good or better than the Toyota one at the amazon link below for 1/3 the money or check your local parts store.
Gates K070834 Multi V-Groove Belt : Amazon.com : Automotive

·
Registered
131 Posts
Hi there

well if your thinking of going in deep water then good to put water proof ones in !!! the one you have in now are not thats sure !!:wave:

·
Registered
598 Posts
Do you drive thru very deep water or mud?

If you don't have any of the typical squealing noises, then I would just replace the belt. When you have the belt off, check each of the pulleys including the water pump and alternator for smooth movement, no wobble or any unusual noises. If all is well, install the new belt and be on your way. If one of the pulleys is going bad, replace all 4. I wouldn't touch the water pump or alternator unless you are having obvious problems. They are not typical maintenance items.

DEWFPO
I'll be doing this soon as well.

But, I have ALWAYS changed my water pump in my other cars. Why is the FJs or Toyotas (this is my first) better than other manufacturers?

Casey

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Premium Member
6,503 Posts
But, I have ALWAYS changed my water pump in my other cars.
My question would be..... why?

Did they leak, wobble, make noise, fail?

I've driven many miles and in many vehicles since 1972 and some of those vehicles went 230K+ miles. In all those years I only had to replace 1 water pump. It was on a '64 Pontiac Grand Prix w/105K miles used in city only driving so hard use in a cold climate. It had a very slow drip out of the weep hole. No catastrophe.

Machining capabilities and the chemical compositions of coolants are so much better that water pumps haven't been normal maintenance items for decades. At least in my experience. Even the hoses are much better.

Search this forum and see how many folks have had a water pump issue. There are some here with 200+K miles on there Fj and even many more over on the Tacoma forum (same 1GR-FE engine) and even more miles because this engine has been around a long time.:cheers:

DEWFPO

·
Registered
598 Posts
I guess I have changed a few just bc I was in there. But several (Mazda) would start to be noisy and on my caddy, weeped/failed badly.

I'm glad that it is one less item to replace. I am certainly not complaining!!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
190 Posts
Mostly city driving with an occasional offroading, i never go through deep water, how hard is it to change the serpentine belt?

·
Registered
643 Posts
Mostly city driving with an occasional offroading, i never go through deep water, how hard is it to change the serpentine belt?

Here are two files with info on the belt installation. Installing a new belt is not a difficult job. It requires a bit of patience working in the crowded environment at the front of the engine. You can go at it from the bottom by removing the skid plate or through the topside. I went through the top. Just be very careful to make sure the belt is properly aligned on all of the pulleys before starting the engine. Any misalignment could easily ruin the new belt. Check and double check by feel and not just visually. It took me about 20 minutes including the checking.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ok, great post. I replaced all of the pulleys and the belt and had no problems doing so other than the lower alternator bolt being hard to get out. But after driving for about an hour of driving the ringing/ whining sound came back. It used to only do it when I was driving at low speeds and I would hit the gas, but now I can even hear it when I am coasting and it is still intermittent. I have an automatic 07 with 110,000 miles.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
3 Posts
So after all that I am driving down some back road and hit a bird so when I stop and get out to get the bird off of my brush guard I hear the sound coming from the rear axle area...anyone have any clue what that might be?

·
Premium Member
2,779 Posts
So after all that I am driving down some back road and hit a bird so when I stop and get out to get the bird off of my brush guard I hear the sound coming from the rear axle area...anyone have any clue what that might be?

Holy thread hijack Batman! :bangin:

·
Registered
919 Posts
Ok, great post. I replaced all of the pulleys and the belt and had no problems doing so other than the lower alternator bolt being hard to get out. But after driving for about an hour of driving the ringing/ whining sound came back. It used to only do it when I was driving at low speeds and I would hit the gas, but now I can even hear it when I am coasting and it is still intermittent. I have an automatic 07 with 110,000 miles.

Are you sure you replaced all of the pulleys?
Can't imagine the rear end making noise while you are out of the FJ and stopped, especially if you are describing the noise getting louder when accelerating.

I changed my belt about a month ago and it just started making noise last week when accelerating, the noise is definately coming from the pulleys (front end). Will change them soon.

·
Premium Member
6,503 Posts
There's nothing in the back end of the FJ that would be making a whining sound similar to a bad pulley when the FJ is not moving (except maybe the EVAP test pump but that typically runs after the engine has been shut off for a while.)

Maybe you can sleuth around a little more as to the source of the noise.

DEWFPO

21 - 40 of 214 Posts