Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

61 - 80 of 214 Posts

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Just replaced all 4 pulleys. easy access from the bottom of the engine. the tensioner pulley bolt is left hand thread you have to turn the bolt clockwise to loosen it and remove the pulley.I didn't have to install the whole assembly. i took the pulley from the new assembly and installed it on the old assembly... it was really easy :thumbup:

Shinny

:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
I didn't have to install the whole assembly. i took the pulley from the new assembly and installed it on the old assembly... it was really easy
I didn't replace the tensioner assembly either, just the pulley on it. I didn't feel like removing the alternator and ac compressor.

Reactions: Joeisip811

·
Registered
13 Posts
Just replaced all 4 pulleys. easy access from the bottom of the engine. the tensioner pulley bolt is left hand thread you have to turn the bolt clockwise to loosen it and remove the pulley.I didn't have to install the whole assembly. i took the pulley from the new assembly and installed it on the old assembly... it was really easy :thumbup:

Shinny

:thumbup:

This is exactly what I did, from underneath as well. In fact, it seemed to take me longer to put the skid plate back on (by myself) than it did to replace the four pulleys. The breaker bar was my best friend on this project...along with this thread.

·
Registered
4,349 Posts
Excuse me, but I was wondering if anyone would know how to tighten a serpentine Belt or how i can locate it (diagram), FJ Cruiser 08'trails team. I changed my pulleys but the belt is loose now and it squeals. i cannot drive it and would like to fix it asap for work. Any knowledge you could pass on to a newb weekend mechanic please?

Al

i would replace with a new belt

·
Registered
40 Posts
for the tensioner assembly can you just purchase the pulley on the assembly??????
if so what is the part number?
+1 I need to know it too, for 2010 FJ.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
just purchased pulleys off of ebay, two upper and one lower all Gates for $80 shipped
2nd this. I also grabbed a new gates belt. Took around 1hr total for the replacement.

Pro tip! Remove your skin plate for easy access from underneath.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am still unclear on what pulley is needed to replace the tensioner pulley. I understand that you can purchase the whole assembly and just use the bolt, but could I also just use one of the upper pulleys for this purpose? I see that the only difference in the pulleys is .3 difference in width (upper pulley smaller than the tensioner pully) and was wondering if this would cause an issue? Would I be better off just paying the extra for the tensioner assembly?

This is my first post, but have been combing the forum and using the wealth of info for a while! Thank you for all of your help!

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Not 100%, but I think the lower idler pulley is the same as the tensioner pulley.

·
Registered
40 Posts

·
Registered
10,293 Posts
Replaced my serpentine belt tensioner after hours of work to find my belt was still squealing and the belt riding on the inside of of the pulley chewing it up after installing a new belt, all new pullies, and a new belt tensioner mechanism. Took quite awhile!

Turns out it was the damn new Gates upper No 2 Idler Pulley sat crooked causing the belt to be out of alignment!

The backside of the gates pulley is an entirely different design than oem. The Gates doesn't seat properly on the timing cover mount and gets sideways to the naked eye. I even uninstalled and reinstalled it a few times to make sure it was installed properly with the shady insert.

I say no Gates pulley for the upper . The gates isn't black anymore either so maybe it's the ****ty original design again?!

I reinstalled the dirty oem pulley and she's straight, finally! Headed to Toyota dealer for a new oem pulley. They said the design changed on it as well. Maybe they are sealed now? :cheers:

I wish I went all oem. Oem is the same price as Napa for the suspect gates pullies, $60 each

Great info/advice on this thread :cheers:

Reactions: sweptwingnut

·
Registered
10,293 Posts
Would be nice to know if the OEM pulley has been updated to a sealed bearing. Keep us posted.

Yea if I knew how to tell by looking at it, I would know for sure;) I should have taken pics so that someone with more knowledge on bearings could advise.

I can't think of any good reason Toyota would have changed the design other than to address the issues with the original, which all seem to be related to unsealed bearings.

After I go fishing today, I might remove and return the other Gates pullies if the stealership is open.

I'll take pics this time.

If anyone orders the updated Toyota pulley, don't forget to buy the new, required outside washer separately, so they spin and track properly (about $3). I think I was at $63 total for one pulley and washer.

Reactions: sweptwingnut

·
Registered
95 Posts
Just knocked mine out yesterday...all 3...new belt...no tensioner change (yet)
The silence is DEAFENING!!!
Haha...Best hour spent under the truck this year.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Great thread!
Took the FJ offroading last year and since then Ive have a super bad grinding noise coming from the front end.

Ive changed the NO1 and NO2 idle pulleys and have to do the tensioner pulley.
I still have the bad grinding noise, if i change out the tensioner pulley setup and it still has this noise, what else can it be??

Thanks

·
Premium Member
6,503 Posts
Great thread!
Took the FJ offroading last year and since then Ive have a super bad grinding noise coming from the front end.

I still have the bad grinding noise, if i change out the tensioner pulley setup and it still has this noise, what else can it be??

Thanks
There are 3 idler pulleys plus the tensioner pulley. As well, sometimes the alternator bearing makes noise if driven thru deep muddy water. You'll have to isolate the sound with a mechanics stethoscope (metal rod) or similar.

DEWFPO

·
Registered
263 Posts
Great thread!

Thanks
I isolated them one at a time by taking the belt off and slowly rolling them with pressure in my hand. Any gritty feeling, if it isn't smooth as silk, replace it. I had one that felt great but when I spun it fast, it would spin freely. All but one are new on my truck.

·
Registered
29 Posts
OK so ive replaced all 3 pulley's plus the tensioner pulley.. Still a grinding noise.

Thanks for the replies...

Can i replace just the alternator bearing? Or replace the whole alternator?

Thanks again

61 - 80 of 214 Posts