Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

161 - 180 of 206 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thank you for such great guide on the idler pulleys!

Replacing the tensioner for the Gates tensioner, and currently on the step to loosen the compressor. Any advice on how to best get to the lower compressor bolts?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks! I replaced the whole tensioner for the gates tensioner, did not have just the tensioner pulley

Few takeaways:
1. a must have is a good 3/8 flex head ratchet, with an adjustable handle length
2. take your time - be sure to have time flexibility if it runs a few hours more than expected :)

·
Registered
424 Posts
ha, late reply... Just got back in to the account today after being away from it for a long time... To get the 10-15mm ID sleeve, I just picked up a bushing with 15mm OD and drilled it out to fit the 10mm ID. Not perfect, and i'm sure there must be better ways... but it's been working without a problem for years now... Good luck!

NK

·
Registered
248 Posts
From the dealer. Coat me $39 for each ✌ not bad..

Serpentine belt cost $77

I would pay waterproof bearings but some said it not exact the same measurement as the own bearing. So I said nothing best like oem. And the cost not bad..

I only had noise issue when entering in deep water. And the sound will go after couples if days.

The old bearings will save as Spare.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
204 Posts
Thanks! I replaced the whole tensioner for the gates tensioner, did not have just the tensioner pulley

Few takeaways:
1. a must have is a good 3/8 flex head ratchet, with an adjustable handle length
2. take your time - be sure to have time flexibility if it runs a few hours more than expected :)
Yea....., like replacing the alternator .

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
204 Posts
Ordered the kit as well. All the bearing/tentioner components are made in Canada. Belt (Gates) in Mexico. Im betting the tensioner pully is the same as the lower 36174. 20170215_220711.jpg

·
Registered
427 Posts
5Greens thanks for the info! I usually just change the pulley on the tensioner (i go through a lot of them because of the NJ sandy mud) but today the treads ripped out of the tensioner. I had to actually replace the whole thing for the first time. Your info was invaluable. Thanks again!

·
Registered
456 Posts
One of my pulleys finally let go last month, and had to replace - thanks to OP for the info! Found out that Toyota had changed the part number for my 07 for a 3rd time lol - no problems so far with the new one installed. Now waiting for other 2 pulleys and tensioner to let go. They are silent now, so it may be a while :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
About to tackle this job. Does anyone know the order of the hardware like the sleeve and plate shaped spacer. Is the sleeve inserted in the front of the pulley or rear? then the plate shaped spacer and bolt which order do they go? and which pulleys need the spacers? thank you

·
Registered
204 Posts
About to tackle this job. Does anyone know the order of the hardware like the sleeve and plate shaped spacer. Is the sleeve inserted in the front of the pulley or rear? then the plate shaped spacer and bolt which order do they go? and which pulleys need the spacers? thank you
Are you using the Gates kit?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Are you using the Gates kit?

Yes. I figured it out. The only problem is that I changed the tensioner pulley for the one supplied with the kit and the belt rides way too close to the edge of the pulley.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
Yes. I figured it out. The only problem is that I changed the tensioner pulley for the one supplied with the kit and the belt rides way too close to the edge of the pulley.
You sure you installed everything correctly? I used the Gates kit a couple months ago and had no issues with belt alignment.

·
Registered
27 Posts
You sure you installed everything correctly? I used the Gates kit a couple months ago and had no issues with belt alignment.
Did you change the entire tensioner assembly as well when you did it? Because what i did was just swap out the pulley and the spacing is bad. So i may be forced to change the entire tensioner assembly now to get it aligned correctly.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
Did you change the entire tensioner assembly as well when you did it? Because what i did was just swap out the pulley and the spacing is bad. So i may be forced to change the entire tensioner assembly now to get it aligned correctly.
Yeah I did the entire tensioner assembly so I think we found your problem :cheers: On the upside, you can keep the old one as a backup!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm too late to help you out, but may be useful for other folks ... the bearing in the tensioner pulley is the easiest of the 4 pulleys to replace. The bearing is readily available; the size is 17X40X17.5; I went with a Nachi 5203-2NS. Get a Japanese/German/Swiss bearing; avoid China/Taiwan bearings unless QC is from a recognized bearing manufacturer. Bearing presses out easily with a press; remember to press in the new bearing from the outside race.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I'm too late to help you out, but may be useful for other folks ... the bearing in the tensioner pulley is the easiest of the 4 pulleys to replace. The bearing is readily available; the size is 17X40X17.5; I went with a Nachi 5203-2NS. Get a Japanese/German/Swiss bearing; avoid China/Taiwan bearings unless QC is from a recognized bearing manufacturer. Bearing presses out easily with a press; remember to press in the new bearing from the outside race.

Like what I did. Work great for me about 6 months now with no issues

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
930 Posts
Did anyone figure out a solution for the #1 idler pulley? Mine is starting to die.

-B

161 - 180 of 206 Posts