Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This article seems to sum it up for me, I want a true off road vehicle that can go to work and back again, then off-road. Anyone else in the same boat or do you all have 4 car garages and $$$ to own a vehicle in every category?

If you love off-roading but you can't afford to keep a dedicated vehicle for your passion, you know your choices. You either drive an aggressively styled dirt-whomper as your daily driver and live with the rough noisy ride, or you compromise and get a less-capable vehicle that's better on the road but can still take a pounding in the dirt once in a while. The FJ manages the compromise with flair.

http://trucks.about.com/od/2007suvs/ss/07_fjcruiser_5.htm

·
Registered
92 Posts
This is exactly why I am so interested in the FJ. If you enjoy experiencing the outdoors, but need a multipurpose vehicle you can't go wrong with this rig!!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Elwood said:
This is exactly why I am so interested in the FJ. If you enjoy experiencing the outdoors, but need a multipurpose vehicle you can't go wrong with this rig!!
Me too!

Plus it's a Toyota, which means ti'll be rugged and reliable.

·
Registered
23 Posts
mappelman said:
This article seems to sum it up for me, I want a true off road vehicle that can go to work and back again, then off-road. Anyone else in the same boat or do you all have 4 car garages and $$$ to own a vehicle in every category?

If you love off-roading but you can't afford to keep a dedicated vehicle for your passion, you know your choices. You either drive an aggressively styled dirt-whomper as your daily driver and live with the rough noisy ride, or you compromise and get a less-capable vehicle that's better on the road but can still take a pounding in the dirt once in a while. The FJ manages the compromise with flair.

Well stated.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Good Times said:
lets not forget the 4runner and taco too.. both area great rigs too :)
y'no, the 4runner is good for some but i guess im too tall at 6'1? i feel like i have no headroom in those things. may be built well and perform well otherwise, but i just cant stand that feeling. my two deciding factors will be price and the roominess of the interior - which has been reported to be fairly decent. in two weeks time i get to see it first hand at the LA show - counting the days. the price in another thread suggested around 25k for 4x4 with the convenience package. im more impatient than ever. anyway.......

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cali start preparing mentally for being close to the FJ without being able to touch it. I'm not sure but would bet you will see a blue FJ with a roped off barrier because the interior is a delicate preproduction model.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
mappelman said:
Cali start preparing mentally for being close to the FJ without being able to touch it. I'm not sure but would bet you will see a blue FJ with a roped off barrier because the interior is a delicate preproduction model.
yea i know - noticed that in those san diego show photos. rope or no rope, im touching the thing. may just get kicked out. im going to make one of those labcoats open the doors at the very least so i can look inside. ill stop short of licking the door handles.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
caliFJ said:
yea i know - noticed that in those san diego show photos. rope or no rope, im touching the thing. may just get kicked out. im going to make one of those labcoats open the doors at the very least so i can look inside. ill stop short of licking the door handles.
They were cool about it at the show, I would recommend coming at a time when the crowds have died down, then ask nicely. They most likely would let you sit in it. Got the whole tour and had they guy opening door, showing stuff and even got to touch it! Hmmm this is sad but it was worth the $10.

·
Official Field Agent
1,146 Posts
mappelman said:

Well, just having had a child i cant exactly feel good about keeping my 88 4runner as my daily driver, so im definately going to have to get something newer and more condusive to babys and their equipment. ill probably keep the 4runner though, and use it as my beater; hauling firewood, wheeling, hunting, fishing, that sort of thing. 1) i wont get anything for trade on it 2) I just plain dont want to get rid of it. probably what i will end up doing is trading the wife's Matrix in on an fj Cruiser once we have positive equity on it. it will be the babymobile and ill continue to drive the 4runner until, a few years from now, we get her another newer car and i get to inherit the 'Cruiser. My main reason for wanting a 4x4 truck for the wife is because 1) i eventually want to inherit it and I want a 4x4 and 2) my wife attracts stupid people apparently. she has totaled 4 vehicles, none of which was her fault. i want her in something that will take a hit without turning into a ball of metal.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
mappelman said:
They were cool about it at the show, I would recommend coming at a time when the crowds have died down, then ask nicely. They most likely would let you sit in it. Got the whole tour and had they guy opening door, showing stuff and even got to touch it! Hmmm this is sad but it was worth the $10.
well, im either going to be there early in the morning or around closing time. only going to the show to see the fj - nothing else. ill be nice - but if they dont let me touch it im going to bill them for the therapy.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts