Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Who would be interested in a diesel like for the same price or slightly more?

I for one woudl then think the new fj would be perfect. I owned an old hilux with a diesel back in the earlier 80s. Tons of torque and 270,000 mile. The only reason I got ride of it was their was no longer any metal under the little paint that was left.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
We had a whole thread devoted to the desire for a diesel - but if you're starting it again. You can count me in. Diesel would be awesome - especially if it could handle biodiesel.

·
Official Field Agent
1,146 Posts
virtually any diesel, especially the modern ones, can handle biodiesel. the primary concern when converting is that biodiesel acts as a non-toxic (you can eat it, but i doubt it tastes good) solvent, some older diesels have seals in the fuel pump that get eaten away and fail. simply a matter of replacement and your good to go. the other drawback of the solvent quality when converting from dino-diesel is that the biodiesel loosens the sediment that has collected on the fuel tank and lines, which can result in clogged filters. simple a matter of replacing a couple and you are all set.

The third major hurdle relating to using bio-diesel is the cold start qualities. it gels at a slightly higher temp than #2 does, resulting in more difficult starting in colder climates. this is largely negated by the modern High-pressure Common Rail Diesel (CRD) engines found in VWs and the Libo. Those with older diesels will have to continue plugging their beast in on really cold days. this problem can also be overcome by utilizing fuel additives or a blend of #2 and biodiesel.

more information can be found at www.biodiesel.org.

·
Official Field Agent
1,146 Posts
the other thread can be found HERE

·
Official Field Agent
1,146 Posts
sure did. no better way to make your car smell like freedom-fries for around 55 cents a gallon. Except maybe a trip through the drive-thru...

i would expect to pay a premium of around 2-4 grand for a diesel option, higher end if its turbo'd. worth it to me, 500K AVERAGE service life?

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Topless4runner said:
sure did. no better way to make your car smell like freedom-fries for around 55 cents a gallon. Except maybe a trip through the drive-thru...

i would expect to pay a premium of around 2-4 grand for a diesel option, higher end if its turbo'd. worth it to me, 500K AVERAGE service life?
I have a friend that converted his VW to Bio in MN and during the winter (40+ below) he runs 50/50. The idea the diesel has to cost more is more marketing then reality.
Yes a turbo would cost more but one can get close to 6 cylinder gas HP in a Diesel for about the same price. In the US it is a "dick" thing that drive up the price. Finally even at lower HP you will still get more Torque then a gas version, which off road is more inportant then HP.

·
Official Field Agent
1,146 Posts
Roosterdo said:
The idea the diesel has to cost more is more marketing then reality.
I can kinda see a little markup if they are selling it someplace well off the beaten path, maybe 10 or 15 cents above regular gasoline; but here in southern california diesel is still around 3.20 a gallon, while 87 is back down to around 2.30. no reason for it, other than price gouging. diesel is actually cleaper to make than gasoline too, it requires less refinement. WTF, over.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Roger that. $8 billion in profits, last quarter alone even with hurricane damage. JERKS!

·
Registered
390 Posts
The shortage of diesel refineries is what keeps the price up. The demand is constant because of trucking, farming, etc. Tax is also higher on diesel fuel at the pump.

·
Official Field Agent
1,146 Posts
all i know is at the beginning of this year diesel was about the same as regular gas, around $2 a gallon, give or take. now its 60-80 cents more a gallon? come on...

·
Registered
204 Posts
Topless4runner said:
all i know is at the beginning of this year diesel was about the same as regular gas, around $2 a gallon, give or take. now its 60-80 cents more a gallon? come on...
It is absolutely astounding to me that California is making it harder to own a diesel. It's like they *want* us to be gas-sucking whores.

Cheers,
prat

·
Official Field Agent
1,146 Posts
The Peoples Republic of California is as gay as AIDS. 'nuff said.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Topless4runner said:
The Peoples Republic of California is as gay as AIDS. 'nuff said.
So I take it you're waiting for it to become the island of California as well?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Percy said:
So I take it you're waiting for it to become the island of California as well?
Hey, come on... some of us have to live here! Besides, you're biased; if we become an island you might become beachfront property, so you have something to gain in all this :)

Jason

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Personally, the state of California really does have it's elements of beauty and the meditteranean climate is awfully nice. That beings said, that's why 900 million morons flock there like it's the homeland or something.

As far as Vegas is concerned - what they don't tell you in the brochures is that this place is really the seventh layer of hell. Want proof? Come on out about mid-august.

I would probably live in California myself if being there for more than 30 minutes didn't make me want to kill people. It's not the state itself that causes that and I would bet that since you are one of us.... it's not your fault either.

·
Registered
36 Posts
What I have been told is that new stock diesels can run bio diesel from the pumps at stations that have it. This bio diesel is sapoused to be 50/50 diesel and bio

·
Official Field Agent
1,146 Posts
Percy said:
As far as Vegas is concerned - what they don't tell you in the brochures is that this place is really the seventh layer of hell. Want proof? Come on out about mid-august.
Ever been to 29 Palms? That is about the closest a living person can get to hell, aside from Hell, Michigan which does, in fact, freeze over every year.

its not california, its 98% of the people here....

Reactions: HeathenousMonk

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Some douche here is using runoff from a italian restaraunt to make his BD and his truck reeks like garlic. I got behind him at the drive thru and it totally wasted my appetite.

·
Registered
12 Posts
i know of a Dutch company importing FJ Cruisers into Europe. They are starting to put diesel engines into them there, not sure which type though.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts