Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I'm having a weird thing happen where my 2013 FJ will seem to stall for 1/2 a second and then immediately start back up. It's like the key is shut off or power is cut for a second. All the dash lights come on like when you first start up, the flasher clicks. So far it's only happened while I've been driving. Seems completely random and there isn't anything specific that triggers it. I initially thought it was a short in the new head unit install I recently did, however I've gone over all the wiring multiple times and don't really see how that could be causing the engine to shut off. I've recently found a thread on ignition switches failing and how that can manifest as stalling while driving. My question is whether a bad ignition switch would create a code that I could use to confirm if that's the problem. Ignition switch is cheap compared to having to deal with the FJ dying while on a trail somewhere.
Does this ring any bells for anyone? Appreciate any feedback.

·
Premium Member
2,666 Posts
Have you checked the battery/alternator condition? Check battery voltage with engine running and not running.

The only time I've had dash indicator issues was a low battery.

If you just did an electrical upgrade, did you remove the negative battery lead and/or positive? Made sure they are tightened properly? Sure sounds like a momentary total loss of power.

There are members who are very technical and can dig into the issue deeper.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
689 Posts
Like Lee mentioned added accessories would be a great start. Do you have a winch or big amp? Something with a large + conductor. A wire rubbing on a firewall or other body part. Something that is shorting out intermittently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Have you checked the battery/alternator condition? Check battery voltage with engine running and not running.

The only time I've had dash indicator issues was a low battery.

If you just did an electrical upgrade, did you remove the negative battery lead and/or positive? Made sure they are tightened properly? Sure sounds like a momentary total loss of power.

There are members who are very technical and can dig into the issue deeper.

Good Luck!
Like Lee mentioned added accessories would be a great start. Do you have a winch or big amp? Something with a large + conductor. A wire rubbing on a firewall or other body part. Something that is shorting out intermittently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for the replies - have not touched the battery terminals. The stereo upgrade was done using a iDatalink kit, so there were not cutting of wires or running new power, it was all plug and play basically. Obviously it could something random in the stereo install, that's my first thought, but it's effecting the ignition only. The dash lights all come on like they did when you first start the engine, then go off as usual. It's like you quickly turn the key on and off - it barely misses a beat, and they exact description of a bad ignition switch. So my main question is whether or not something like an ignition switch will create a diagnostic code. I'm hoping I can make this easy on myself.

K

1 - 4 of 4 Posts